Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wingspread

11th National Games Of The People's Republic Of China

11thGames.jpg

Didn't know about this. Thought some of you might be interested. It's a huge event -- 11,000 athletes (representing 46 provinces in China) competing in 33 sports this year. So that's how big China's talent pool of athletes is. :blink:

0013729ece6b0c42e3a701.jpg

The opening ceremony was held on 16 October. The full CCTV broadcast is uploaded on YouTube (part 1 of 13). Quick, before it's taken down! :)

Also, an article about the ceremony and the event in general: link

On a side note, it's ridiculous how the Chinese government basically duplicated the scale of the Beijing 2008 Games in another city. They could have just reused the Beijing venues, but of course they have lots of money so why even bother with the idea, right?

Previous host cities:

1959 – Beijing

1965 – Beijing

1975 – Beijing

1979 – Beijing

1983 – Shanghai

1987 – Guangdong

1993 – Beijing

1997 – Shanghai

2001 – Guangdong

2005 – Jiangsu

2009 – Shandong

2013 – Liaoning

Thanks for reposting that, V. (Ikarus previously posted the links in the Ceremonies thread.)

Anyway, just skip over to #14 which shows all the comrade-communistish-bombast that Zhang Yimou and Beijing purposely tried to stay away from....and now, this Shandong does a retro and brings back all those Mao-style ceremonies. They are really like ants performing on a giant stage.

And the torch-lighting ceremony...Oy!! One torchbearer comes in; is greeted by a pair (the woman in a white evening gown. making a slight trot), to be met by a trio (I guess the CHinese Three Stooges); and then met by 5 others; and then the WHOLE FIELD ablaze. (I guess they saw that Doha lit 1000 torches; so Shandong did them one better with 10,000 torches!!) Can you imagine the carbon footprint on that one? Luckily it was only for a few seconds...but their TV cameras did not do the moment justice.

Oh, and that 'cauldron"....the gaudiest and most GARISH in history. :blink:

Nothing about this ceremony is toned down or subtle. BIGGER IS BETTER!! Looks like all the rejected ideas of Beijing ended up here. :(

Previous host cities:

1959 – Beijing

1965 – Beijing

1975 – Beijing

1979 – Beijing

1983 – Shanghai

1987 – Guangdong

1993 – Beijing

1997 – Shanghai

2001 – Guangdong

2005 – Jiangsu

2009 – Shandong

2013 – Liaoning

I thought Nanjing hosted it recently?

Opening ceremonies are getting a little repetitive.

I mean, 10,000 people being synchronized to make a shape was exciting in 1980 but c'mon, do we really need it at every opening ceremony. Also, all the imagery of leaves and water and people's faces to show 'humanity' and the 'environment' is a little crass to, especially from the world's biggest polluter and human rights abuser - China.

I did laugh when the torch entered the stadium and one of the bearers was a women in an evening dress. It was quite funny seeing her trying to run in a gown whilst holding a burning flame. Only in Communist China. Lol!!!

I agree that the cauldron was ugly too - it looked like a toy you would get in a Christmas cracker that had been set on fire.

The cermony was basically 'communist Kitsch'. I would expect something more classy if Elton John directed a Mardi Gras parade. :lol:

That's the phrase I was looking for, oaky. I'll quote that phrase in my book if you don't mind.

I would be honoured.

Can I get a little reference though - it would be cool to show the grand children a book the great Baron Pierre quoted me in. :D

Did anyone manage to record the opening ceremony or know where i can buy a dvd copy?, have seen it on you tube, but want to add it to my collection