Australian Open, Melbourne

Rafa

It's the warm-up period for one of the top four tennis championships but it appears as though many of the strongest contenders are suffering, or recovering, from injury.  

Safin - the reigning Australian Open champion is out due to a knee injury.

Nadal - world number two, out due to foot injury.

Agassi - ankle injury, perhaps missing his last Aus. Open.

Clijsters - US Open champion, pulled out of warm-up matches, possibly miss Open.

Serena Williams - defending Australian champion with knee injury and poor recent results.

Venus Williams - Wimbledon champion suffering back problems.

Hewitt - stomach bug in Sydney, but this could be his best chance of a home win.

Henin-Hardenne - French Open champion slowly recovering from leg injury.

Sharapova - shoulder injury since last summer, plans to play in Melbourne.

Federer - after an ankle injury he's mostly recovered.

Roddick, Nalbandian, Davenport and Mauresmo seem to be the only ones fully fit.  I think this years Australian will provide quite a few surprise results due to the fact that so many of the top players are struggling with their fitness.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

clistjers should win....

davenport will make semis...sharapova will make finals....or semis

venus will make qF...serena QF or crash out...

best possible result for hingis is fourth round...any top seeds falling could see the draw open up for her..but thats just being too optimistic...

mens section....roddick federer roddick winning...!!

federer lost to haas this week....he looks shaky...if he fumbles..roddick shud have an easy final against a lesser known player...who knows maybe johansson will surpise us again lol

as for the women draw...lindsay is ok but looks sluggish...id love a martina sharapova final....of course thats wishful and sharapova would win but id so like to see martina kick her butt....as for henin...shes always a wild one...but i think she might be in the last four...with sharapova...davenport..and venus?? or one of the russians?...

I assume this year Roger Federer will win the Australian Open as he is well prepared after his injury. He is in the best years for a tennis player. I don´t know who will win the ladies section. It´s always a mental problem and the actual fitness.

pic-02-22-05-n09-g.jpg

Dream return for Hingis

Jan 17 – MELBOURNE

Former Australian Open Champion Martina Hingis continued her comeback with an emphatic straight sets victory over 30th seed Vera Zvonereva 6-1 6-2.

The “Swiss Miss” displayed the dominance which helped her to five grand slam victories including three Australian Open titles between 1997 and 1999. Plagued by chronic foot injuries in both feet, the former champion retired from tennis three years ago but announced her return to tennis in December 2005.

Hingis got off to a dream start racing to a 5-1 lead in the opening set breaking the Russian twice in the opening set. Zvonereva showed frustration throughout the match as Hingis looked impressive off both the forehand and backhand. Hingis criticized for her less powerful serve in comparison to the power games of many top players impressed in all aspects of her game and controlled the second set which she won 6-2.

The aura of Martina Hingis as well as vocal support from the crowd was simply too much for the 30th seed. Hingis looked solid at the net winning 80% of net approaches and hit 17 winners as she stunned even the greatest tennis optimists.

“It just feels great to be back here. Thank you for the support.”, Hingis said.

Hingis a wildcard entry this year, seemed to pick up from where she left off three years ago and will continue her comeback trail against Emma Laine of Finland. Hingis is set to meet the fifth seed Mary Pierce in the last 32 of the draw if both players advance past the second round.

Hewitt's back in the match after winning the third set tiebreak 10-8. Why do I get this feeling this match is going to a fifth set?

Thank God, Hewitt is out. I can not describe how much i dislike this guy. But Hingis has reached the next round. Sh!t!!!!

3 (of 15) German players are in the third round: Haas, Kiefer and Gremelmayr.

Archived