Cape Town Stadium Lights Up

Rafa

My apologies but IMO the football vs athletics discussion for this stadium has been debated.

CT does not have an athletics stadium capable of hosting medium to large size events.

If it decided to bid it would follow the London 2012 concept leaving about 20-30k seats in legacy to be used to host local and international events.

The World Cup stadium cannot host athletics events and is only designed to host rugby and football, along with other non-sport events.

I hope this is clear.

Thanks Mo for this clarification and for all your involvement from years to promote the idea of SOG in Cap Town. It will pay during the twenties...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lets hope CT actually bids. Without that, its all just pipe dreams.

Not sure 2020 is the best date... They should bid for 2024 as training... to be successful in 2028 !

If South Africa bids, I am pretty certain they will get 2020 or 2024. Can't imagine the IOC waiting longer than that for the first African games.

Actually, I agree with memorabilia. I can't imagine the IOC rushing so quickly after Rio to award South Africa the games.

If CapeTown bids, I do not see how the IOC can deny Africa its most viable bid in years. They turned down Rio for 2012 and gave her 2016. Cape Town was a legitimate #3 for 1997-2004, how come it would then NOT be viable sixteen years later, for 2013-2020?

Africa is the ONLY hole on the IOC map now; why should they leave it unfulfilled? It doesn't make sense.

If CapeTown bids, I do not see how the IOC can deny Africa its most viable bid in years. They turned down Rio for 2012 and gave her 2016. Cape Town was a legitimate #3 for 1997-2004, how come it would then NOT be viable sixteen years later, for 2013-2020?

Africa is the ONLY hole on the IOC map now; why should they leave it unfulfilled? It doesn't make sense.

I may be wrong, but I just can't see how the IOC is going to go for two new frontiers in a row. I don't deny Rio may have made some impetus for South Africa, but to my mind it's gonna pay off in the mid term rather than immediately. Whether they bid or not (and I hope they do), I just see the IOC as going for at least safe one option in between before making another of their rare leaps of faith. It doesn't make sense to me for them to do otherwise.

Legacy of the Olympic Stadium is a key point for IOC members... they absolutely dislike what happened to the Atlanta's Olympic Stadium....

Wrong thread I know, but do they really? Seriously? It seems to me to be a model of a sustainable stadium with post-Games use in mind, despite its detractors. Do they seriously prefer a cold, empty monument, such as Beijing's stadium has become, to a thriving sports stadium as a legacy? :huh: Not every city in the world is capable, nor indeed willing, to maintain an athletics facility post-Games and considering the huge infrastructure costs are met by the city, not by them, the IOC's concerns should be first, putting on a great Games and second, not saddling a city with white elephants. Many question whether they got the former right in Atlanta's case, but to question the latter when there are examples of far worse stadium legacies, is lunacy.

Perhaps, when they awarded London the 2012 Games, the IOC missed our former Mayor Ken Livingstone's claim that Atlanta was the legacy model he wanted London 2012 to follow.

I may be wrong, but I just can't see how the IOC is going to go for two new frontiers in a row. I don't deny Rio may have made some impetus for South Africa, but to my mind it's gonna pay off in the mid term rather than immediately. Whether they bid or not (and I hope they do), I just see the IOC as going for at least safe one option in between before making another of their rare leaps of faith. It doesn't make sense to me for them to do otherwise.

Sorry for making yet another off-topic post, but: You might have a point there.

But on the other hand, a possible Cape Town 2020 bid has the advantage that South Africa will have proven by then already that it's able to host the biggest world sports events -- with this year's World Cup of which I believe that it will be very successful. In Rio's case, the IOC couldn't be so sure about that city's abilities -- Brazil hadn't hosted the 2014 World Cup yet at the time of the 2016 host city election and the only recent major sports event Brazil had hosted before the election were the 2007 Panam Games which were not completely flawless.

I think that by the time of the 2020 host city election in 2013, Cape Town (provided that it bids) could be a very strong and promising candidate city.

Those pics from South Africa are great.

I'm very excited about the 2010 World Cup, Mo.

BTW, I just watched District 9. What a location for placing that giant Alien ship. I mean, of course, the Downtown Joannesbourg. Loved it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived