Cape Town Stadium Lights Up

Rafa

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ohhh - don't you think that it would have been better if they had build a stadium with a track?

I guess a temporary venue similar to London's Olympic stadium could be suitable for Cape Town as it could provide a 30-40,000 venue for cricket, soccer or rugby post games. However, the WC has come first. I don't think it would have been appropriate for CT to build a large venue specifically for athletics, to host the WC.

Cape Town Stadium handed over on schedule

(L-R) Executive Deputy Mayor Alderman Ian Neilson and Executive Mayor Alderman Dan Plato, Executive Mayor

Champagne flowed and balloons were released into the sky as the new Cape Town Stadium was officially handed over to the City of Cape Town on a perfect summer afternoon on 14 December 2009.

At a ceremony in front of over 200 invited guests and the media representatives from around the world, Executive Mayor Alderman Dan Plato, received the keys to the stadium and proudly declared that "this stadium is ready to welcome the world".

He said the ceremony was to "celebrate the new stadium and also the city" and later kicked a soccer ball around the new pitch.

The state-of-the-art stadium - which will seat 68,000 for the 2010 FIFA World Cup™ and will host eight matches, including a semi-final - was completed on schedule, just 32 months after the first sod was turned.

Plato said the R4.5-billion stadium was the biggest project of its kind ever undertaken in Cape Town, and is regarded as a triumph in both design and construction, despite some challenges during the construction period.

"But it has been worth the wait. Capetonians are proud of it, and pictures of it are being e-mailed around the world.

According to Mike Marsden, Executive Director for Service Delivery Integration, the target completion date was achieved through a "magnificent team effort" and thanked all those involved in the stadium, including the main building contractors, Murray & Roberts and WBHO and their "committed and dedicated workforce" of 2 500, as well as the professional team and City professional team.

The key issues in getting it ready in time included resolve, resources and skills, he said. "It's a remarkable achievement."

Marsden added that the structure is a "stadium of beauty" comparable to iconic structures elsewhere, such as the Sydney Opera House and Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. "This stadium will be identifiable with Cape Town," he said.

Plato described the stadium as a "wonderful piece of art" and said it has a "grand, spacious, timeless design".

"I can assure the whole world that this stadium will be a legacy for the entire country. Cape Town Stadium is set to be one of the world's sporting landmarks. In this very arena, the best of the world will do battle. It will also be the iconic image of the 2010 FIFA World Cup™."

Plato also reiterated that it is a stadium for all Capetonians, not just for those in Green Point, where it is situated.

"People of Cape Town, this is your stadium, it is our stadium. I hope it will give us all the joy and the pleasure we deserve. This stadium is ready for the world.”

10_Dec_09n.jpg

GP_14_Dec_09_h.jpg

Signal+Hill+night+shoot3.jpg

Nice colours of balloons .... an Olympic dream ???

By the way, I went through this thread, trying to know if it was the possible future Olympic stadium (Ceremonies and Athletics).

Apparently not.

So my question is : does Cap Town have the legacy for 2 main stadiums with a capacity above 50,000 ???

It has been discussed above and in the Cape Town 2020 thread.

Thanks Mo for you nice answer....

Before asking, I went through this thread, and yes CAF was asking the question if Cap Town had to built another stadium for Athletics : and you just say YES... and at the question if it would have been interested to already plan a T&F track on this one : you just say NO !

So i did no see any argument regarding the legacy of 2 high capacity stadium (even if you reduce the capacity of this one to 55,000 and use it for Rugby).

And i also went to the 2020 thread, try to go quickly through the 49 pages... and did not find what i was looking for, exept the confirmation that 2 stadium were planned.

I went also to you blog and see you capacities table for venues, but did not catch the exact number of permanent seats for your Olympic Stadium.

So I had just a question about Legacy... sorry, but if you trully say that you support the idea of a bid in your city but you are not ready to discuss about it, I think you have a problem as you will have to say things again and again during the next 3 years to convince people here, the international community and the IOC members....

Legacy of the Olympic Stadium is a key point for IOC members... they absolutely dislike what happened to the Atlanta's Olympic Stadium....

My apologies but IMO the football vs athletics discussion for this stadium has been debated.

CT does not have an athletics stadium capable of hosting medium to large size events.

If it decided to bid it would follow the London 2012 concept leaving about 20-30k seats in legacy to be used to host local and international events.

The World Cup stadium cannot host athletics events and is only designed to host rugby and football, along with other non-sport events.

I hope this is clear.

Archived