Vancouver 2010 Torch Relay

All this adulation for what is basically a pagan ritual (AND Nazi innovation) is highly questionable. I mean a flame is a flame is a flame. I've seen 5 of them; you see them for a minute or so...then they're gone.

The whole activity is JUST overrated. I mean in medieval times, you had whole villages running with torches in hand to raze the castle around the corner or burn the latest witch, so... :blink:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kalispera Christos!

My last videos from the handover ceremony at Panathinaiko Stadium of Athens.

Best wishes to Vancouver for the XXI Olympic Winter Games! ;)

Yes it was. The ceremony in Olympia was official this time and the torch relay across Greece was equal as in summer Games. In every stop it was played the olympic, canadian and greek anthem and also officials from Canada were present in most of them.

CTVOlympics.ca

The Vancouver Sun is reporting that the arrival has been pushed back 30 mins to 11:30 ET, as the plane was late leaving Greece on account of weather...

Thanks for the information.

Will there also be an official Torch relay song this time? Maybe they will perform it at the start of the torch relay?

VICTORIA - The torch for the 2010 Winter Olympics is due to arrive in Victoria Friday morning and thousands of people, including a host of dignitaries, are expected at the B.C. legislature to welcome it to Canada.

The arrival of the plane carrying the flame has been delayed over an hour to approximately 8:30 am PST. As a result, the ceremony at the airport is not expected to start until 8:50 pm.

The Olympic flame has its own row of seats on the Canadian military plane that's carrying it from Athens.

The precious fire is encased in a miner's lantern and will transfer to a cauldron before it begins the longest torch-relay in Canadian history.

There are actually four flames and six lanterns aboard the flight - the logistics of the coming 106 day relay mean organizers must have several lanterns to ensure one is always ready to go.

They were all lit from the flame that was ignited in Olympia, Greece on Oct. 22 and they all boarded the flight to Victoria with a champagne toast from the head of the Vancouver Games. John Furlong also led the 80 or so people accompanying the flame in a rendition of O Canada.

By the time the Olympic flame arrives in Vancouver on February 12th, it will have been carried 45-thousand kilometres, to more than one-thousand Canadian communities, by more than 12-thousand people.

The convoy is now scheduled to leave Victoria airport for the ceremonies at the legislature at 9:12 PST.

Malfunction! Malfunction!

Based on what they've said, it's Catriona LeMay-Doan, Simon Whitfield and one of the Rowers. Kathleen Heddle maybe?