Vancouver 2010 Torch Relay

Here you can watch the highlights from the 1st day of the olympic torch relay in Greece.

Thanks for the upload here. I put it in my favorites section of my YouTube page.

Keep it up. I hope to see more highlights from the Greek portion of the Vancouver 2010 torch relay.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

qc1024x768_94d-is.jpg

I wonder about one thing on this map - you can see that the torch will be flown from the north over the St. Lorenz sound into a town - than back over the St. Lorenz sound to the north and further to (I think that is) New Foundland...

Why do they do this strange loop...

Wouldn't had it been easier if the torch had been brought from the south to the town in the south of the St. Lorenz sound, too?

^ it's because the national torch relay is starting in Victoria, British Columbia (the provincial capital) on Vancouver Island. From there, it moves north to northern BC, then into the arctic to the Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunvaut, and then it comes back south as it prepares to head over to the East Coast of Canada so that the relay touches all three coastlines of Canada. It's the most logical route for most Canadians, and from the Maritime provinces it heads west and goes through all the provinces. 80% of Canada's population will be within a 2 hour drive of the torch relay.

national1024x768_98d-Zk.jpg

^ it's because the national torch relay is starting in Victoria, British Columbia (the provincial capital) on Vancouver Island. From there, it moves north to northern BC, then into the arctic to the Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunvaut, and then it comes back south as it prepares to head over to the East Coast of Canada so that the relay touches all three coastlines of Canada. It's the most logical route for most Canadians, and from the Maritime provinces it heads west and goes through all the provinces. 80% of Canada's population will be within a 2 hour drive of the torch relay.

national1024x768_98d-Zk.jpg

thanks mr. x trying to explain that - of course I saw the national route too and I agree it is a kind of "logical" route, but why do they fly the torch from Iqaluit to Sept-Iles - then over the St. Lorenz sound to Gaspe - then back over the St. Lorenz sound to the north to Labrador City? They could have fly from Iqaluit to Labrador City directly?

Graspe and Sept-Iles could have been visited by the torch when the route comes from New Brunswick...

^ i'm guessing it might have to do with not having a relay that was too long, it's a big country lol. There's also the issue of who is going to carry the torch between towns in very sparsely populated rural areas.

^ i'm guessing it might have to do with not having a relay that was too long, it's a big country lol. There's also the issue of who is going to carry the torch between towns in very sparsely populated rural areas.

that sounds logical - it is easier to fly this "Quebec-over-St. Lorenz sound-loop" than to carry the torch from Edmundston (NB) - Rivicre du Loup, Rimouski, Matane - then to Graspe - over the sound to Sept-Iles - and then back to Baie Comeau

thanks mr. x

The white does get sooty doesn't it - they need to fix that if possible I would have thought? Or do they like the "used" look?

Wierd being followed by VW cars - aren't the games being sponsored by GM?!

And yes that is the Hellenic Olympic Commitee crest on some (not all I noticed) of the uniforms)

I see they aren't using the same cauldrons as they will in Vancouver - must be the ones they usually use?

Flame looks good at night!

Hellenic Olympic Committee is the responsible for the torch relay in Greece. So that's why they use those cauldrons and those cars. Only in Athens 2004 relay they used the official ones as well as the sponsor cars.

I agree about the Flame at night! Seems great!

Hellenic Olympic Committee is the responsible for the torch relay in Greece. So that's why they use those cauldrons and those cars. Only in Athens 2004 relay they used the official ones as well as the sponsor cars.

Thanks for informing us Christos - good to know.

I agree that there is probably better Greek coverage compared to previous winter flames. But one also has to think the prevalence of mass user media has something to do with it too.

Yes it's different this year and you know that Winter Olympics are not so popular here, we don't have tradition in winter sports.

Yes it's different this year and you know that Winter Olympics are not so popular here, we don't have tradition in winter sports.
or it could also be that Greece and Canada has very strong ties as well? just an opinion.

It will be televised on CTV from 11 am to 2 pm:

Massive Celebration Plans for Olympic Flame's Arrival in Victoria this Friday

Day 1 activities

The CF A310 will touch down at Victoria International Airport before taxiing to 443 Maritime Helicopter Squadron for a media event.

A delegation including Stephen Harper, Prime Minister of Canada, and LGov Steven Point will be on hand to welcome the Olympic Flame to Canadian soil.

Fifty CF members from Canadian Forces Fleet School Esquimalt will be on site to line the route from the aircraft to the awaiting vehicles that will take the flame to the Inner Harbour, arriving at 9:30 am.

Army, Navy, and Air Cadets will line the route from the Inner Harbour to the legislature lawns where a community celebration will occur.

The Naden Band will play the Olympic Anthem and the National Anthem with Capt(N) Martin Teft accompanying on vocals.

Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), Gen Walter Natynczyk will also be at the legislature for the ceremony.

The torch relay will commence at 10:40 a.m. with the first official Olympic Torchbearer departing the legislature towards the Township of Esquimalt, at which time CF-18s will do a fly-past.

While the Flame is in transit through Esquimalt, a Blue Boat will ferry the Naden Band from the Inner Harbour back to Naden, where they'll perform again at the local celebration.

The CDS will sail back to the base via speed boat where he'll be involved in the relay.

Members of the defence team are invited to be spectators for the portion of the relay through CFB Esquimalt. Spectators are encouraged to rendezvous at the Naden Athletic Centre at 10:45 a.m.

Base Imaging has prepared a video of defence team members at work that will be projected larger-than-life on the main gym wall. At 11:15 a.m. everyone will be encouraged to go outside and pick a spot along the relay route from the main gate to the old Naden Gate. Spectators are encouraged to line both sides of the road. Canadian Flags will be handed out in the gym for audience members to wave along the route.

The Flame will arrive at the main gate at 11:30 a.m. at which time the relay begins on base with Retired BGen Joseph Gollner. He will light his torch and run 300 metres up Naden Way to Ontario Drive where he will stop at a dais. RAdm Tyrone Pile, Commader Maritime Forces Pacific and Joint Task Force Games, will then say a few words. BGen Gollner will light the torch of Gen Natynczyk and he will take off running towards Nelles Block where he will light the torch of LCdr Lucie Tremblay, Naval Provost Marshal.

LCdr Tremblay will then carry the flame to the old Naden Gate on Beard Street and the relay will continue towards View Royal. The event will be over by 11:45 a.m., at which time everyone is invited to muster in the Naden Athletic Centre parking lot for a free barbecue lunch. The gym will be open for people to go inside and eat, should the weather be poor.

The whole event will be wrapped up by 1 p.m.

Day 1 of the largest domestic Olympic Torch Relay in history will mark an extraordinary day for CFB Esquimalt. This is the only naval base in Canada to be part of this event. It is also the first of 14 Canadian Forces Bases that will host the Olympic Torch Relay over 106 days.

Day 1 celebrations will also be held in View Royal, Songhees, Sidney, North Saanich, Central Saanich, Oak Bay and Victoria.

An evening event will be held at the legislature commencing at 5:30 p.m. The celebration will kick off with a musical welcome with the all-star line-up including Daniel Lapp, Marc Atkinson, Kia Kadiri, Hugh Fraser, Ken Lavigne, Adonis Puentes, Phil Dwyer, Carey Newman and Sara Marreiros, Dave Flello, Jules Charles, members of the Victoria Symphony, the Joy of Life and the B.C. Fiddle Orchestra, as well as hundreds of First Nations Drummers and Les Cornouillers dancers.

The last torch bearer of the day, 15-year-old Jeneece Edroff will have the honour of re-lighting the Olympic cauldron. For more information about the evening ceremony, visit www.victoriaspirit.ca.

The flame will remain on Vancouver Island until Day 5 of the relay. It will visit 19 Wing Comox on Day 4, where a team of Canadian Forces members will get to carry the torch.

Thanks christos for the youtube uploads. Is there a list of who these people are?

You're welcome.

You mean the torchbearers. Actually no, they mention only the last one in every city. Most of times are athletes from there.