I think the USA will win between 18 and 24 medals.

Men's and women's snowboardcross and halfpipe (though its hard to read since most Americans don't compete internationally between Olympics)

Alpine Skiing will be a major medal winner for the Americans (Bode Miller, Lindsay Vonn and Ted Ligety)

Speed Skating - Trevor Marsicano, Shani Davis, Chad Hedrick

Figure Skating - Evan Lysacek, Beldin and Agosto, Davis and White

Hockey - women's hockey is a guarantee for a medal

I think curling (both men's and women's), and men's hockey are definite darkhorses

The USA will be in tough to garner a curling medal on either side I think; they'd need at least two upsets I'd say . For the men, I'd probably put whoever represents Canada, Murdoch (UK), Kapp (Germany), and Ulsrud (Norway) ahead of Shuster.

As for the Women, McCormick is in tougher....probably behind Canada, Norberg (Sweden), Bingyu (China), Ott (Switzerland), Muirhead (UK) and Schöpp (Germany). I'd be really surprised to see the USA in the medal round.

[bTW - I know that some of these teams aren't officially their nation's representatives yet, but I'd say most of them are odds-on favorites to be there]

All of you guys forgot Nordic Combined. Both Lodwick and Demong are defending world champions in individual events, and the US has a strong team for the relay. Actually, its conceivable that the US might win all 3 Nordic Combined events... Certainly a better medal chance that Curling or men's Hockey.

All of you guys forgot Nordic Combined. Both Lodwick and Demong are defending world champions in individual events, and the US has a strong team for the relay. Actually, its conceivable that the US might win all 3 Nordic Combined events... Certainly a better medal chance that Curling or men's Hockey.

The US also has a decent medal chance in Cross Country Skiing (women's Sprint) and an American men actually got a silver at the Vancouver Biathlon world cup stop last year. So, all in all, the US will have its best ever team in Nordic Combined, Cross Country Skiing and Biathlon going to Whistler.

I would not go that far though, the US has won Nordic world championship medals before and gone into the Olympics and notta. They weren't consistent performers on the world cup circuit for instance. But they should be included as potential medalist.

I didn't forget Shaun White, I said Americans should expect medals in snowboardcross and halfpipe.

Also Apollo Anton Ohno in short track.

Curling could go many ways, there is always a surprise, Denmark's silver in 1998, Rowan Martin was a huge surprise, as was Finland's silver and the USA's bronze on the men's side in 2006. See we will see, depends on who has a good week or not. Though right now I think the women's is between China, Canada and Sweden and the men's is Britain, Canada, Norway

• 1 month later...

Well, we need to add all 5 men's Biathlon events to the USAs' medals hopes. The current leader of the men's World Cup standing is American Tim Burke (let me repeat this: an American is leading the Biathlon world cup after 7 individual races) , and the relay team has had two top-6 results so far this year.

Highly meaningless

Emil Hegle Svendsen and Ole Einar Bjorndalen have sat out 3 races, combined they represent 4 of the seven wins.

And Burke has only won 2 medals (a silver and a bronze). There is 7 more races between now and the Olympics and by than Burke will be well down the list. Also Tomasz Sikora has not been competing well but will be a major medal threat, not to mention Michael Greis will be a more experienced and threatening threat to Norwegian dominance than an American that won't have Halvard Hanevold, Lars Berger and Alexander Os to rely on for the relay.

I wouldn't put it pass Burke to win a medal, but he is certainly not a threat to European dominance.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Well, we need to add all 5 men's Biathlon events to the USAs' medals hopes. The current leader of the men's World Cup standing is American Tim Burke (let me repeat this: an American is leading the Biathlon world cup after 7 individual races) , and the relay team has had two top-6 results so far this year.

I would definitely not go that far. Burke has the world cup lead, but he has it despite not even having a podium finish. If we win a Biathlon medal, I will be shocked.