The Olympic Cauldron

I work at bc place admin and I've heard some rumors about replacing a panel of the teflon roof on bc place with a "glass"/transparent panel. They would then construct a cauldron that extends from the inside of bc place, through the "glass" extending outside, with the flame continuing. I assume the goal is to have a flame that is visible inside and outside; makes most sense in that the bigger portion of the flame can't be inside bc place. they have started some construction at the centre of bc place...digging through the concrete.

This will make the heart of one member of this forum stop. :lol:

You have to know that this member has been spamming this forum for months with rants that BC Place's roof would explode if there would even be a only a tiny cauldron on its floor. And now you come along with these rumours that the flame will be very near or even (sort of) within the roof... ;)

Seriously -- although I warmly welcome you to the forum --, I have certain doubts about these rumours. No offence, but we had already the case of another new forum member who claimed to have exclusive information about how the Olympic cauldron of Beijing will look like. And those "information" proved to be complete fake.

I also have doubts because I can hardly imagine the flame burning so extremely closely to the roof. They would probably have to take out more than just one teflon panel to protect the roof from being enkindled, scorched or even only sooted by the flame.

Maybe they'll have a cauldron inside BC Place indeed -- but I rather expect a smaller one, at least not one "bursting" through the roof.

no offence taken. thanks for your expertise and forum policing on the matter. since non of us here knows the answers to this, thought i'd add to the speculation thats all. your expectation of a "smaller" cauldron must be true indeed.

This will make the heart of one member of this forum stop. :lol:

You have to know that this member has been spamming this forum for months with rants that BC Place's roof would explode if there would even be a only a tiny cauldron on its floor. And now you come along with these rumours that the flame will be very near or even (sort of) within the roof... ;)

Seriously -- although I warmly welcome you to the forum --, I have certain doubts about these rumours. No offence, but we had already the case of another new forum member who claimed to have exclusive information about how the Olympic cauldron of Beijing will look like. And those "information" proved to be complete fake.

I also have doubts because I can hardly imagine the flame burning so extremely closely to the roof. They would probably have to take out more than just one teflon panel to protect the roof from being enkindled, scorched or even only sooted by the flame.

Maybe they'll have a cauldron inside BC Place indeed -- but I rather expect a smaller one, at least not one "bursting" through the roof.

The Olympic Flame inside BC Place will be fueled by Natural Gas which I believe burns at 2000 degrees. A natural gas pipeline has been dug in the East End Zone under Sec 227:

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/News/local/2009/...692696-sun.html

B.C. Place gets overhaul

The B.C. Lions won't play another home game in B.C. Place Stadium until it reopens in 2011 after a half-billion-dollar overhaul.

The dome will be Vancouver's Olympic stadium for opening, closing and nightly medals ceremonies. From Feb. 12-28, the Olympic flame will burn in a top-secret cauldron beneath the air-supported, fabric roof, which was inflated on Nov. 14, 1982.

In May, crews dug and covered a 20-foot shaft in the centre of the stadium's floor. Sources said it was for a hydraulic lift and cauldron. A fuel pipe to feed the flame for 17 days was recently installed in the east end zone by section 227.

thanks for the good info. do you really think they can pull off an indoor flame? or should they even? i think they have something up their sleeve in regards to making a component of the flame outdoors. i have no doubt that part of it will be indoors (hence the gas pipline) but i feel/hope that they can be creative somehow and bring it outdoors as well.

The Olympic Flame inside BC Place will be fueled by Natural Gas which I believe burns at 2000 degrees. A natural gas pipeline has been dug in the East End Zone under Sec 227:

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/News/local/2009/...692696-sun.html

B.C. Place gets overhaul

The B.C. Lions won't play another home game in B.C. Place Stadium until it reopens in 2011 after a half-billion-dollar overhaul.

The dome will be Vancouver's Olympic stadium for opening, closing and nightly medals ceremonies. From Feb. 12-28, the Olympic flame will burn in a top-secret cauldron beneath the air-supported, fabric roof, which was inflated on Nov. 14, 1982.

In May, crews dug and covered a 20-foot shaft in the centre of the stadium's floor. Sources said it was for a hydraulic lift and cauldron. A fuel pipe to feed the flame for 17 days was recently installed in the east end zone by section 227.

Oh no... "go time baby", towerguy3 is exactly that ranting member whom I was talking about. You should have better not raised the question in his direction whether they can pull off an indoor flame.

Now, towerguy3: I think "go time baby" has got your message. You don't have to start the 10,000th edition of your "Why the roof will explode" rants.

I'm a little surprised that now we probably know what and where the cauldron will be, there's so little reaction here. Before Beijing, we almost discussed our brains out about the cauldron. ;)

I think the problem is that most mentions of the cauldron inevitably bring our resident Chicken Little out of hibernation.

Here's a bad drawing of a probably equally bad idea....just for fun!

Glass encased cauldron column...out the roof!

Hoping someone else will have a better idea!

Vancouver.jpg

Actually, that's what I thought was going to be one of Beijing's options...like cutting a small hole in part of the Birds Nest hard roof (but minus a glass case).

Question is: how do you get the glass/plexiglass shield to equally shrink and rise? I understand the base of the cauldron...easy enough...but the glass sheathing??

It's really going to look dorky to have to cut-thru BS Place's soft roof and attempt something like that. Like....trying tooooooooo hard, no? :blink:

It just looks too make-shift and people will understand easily enough if a cauldron sat outside by itself stand-alone.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

like that idea. But it's all in the execution I suppose.

And I like it that we still have relatively no idea what the set-up will be. As nice as it is to discuss and figure out the cauldron in the lead-up to the Games, as was the case with Beijing (and indeed, most of us had a good idea a month, if not more, before the ceremony regarding where exactly that cauldron was going to be and how it would move into its final position), there will be some real suspense created for all us if no good pictures and insight is put together between now and Vancouver's Opening Ceremony.

definitely points for effort. i guess that's why they get paid the big buck to design the cauldron. this will definitely be the most unique lighting and cauldron in olympic history if they can pull off the indoor/outdoor flame. we could go down in history as having one of the best cauldron or most embarrassing one.

a thought i had...they typically want to keep the cauldron at it's original place after the olympics, for sightseeing purposes etc (i.e. barcelona). if they were to create a cauldron in the middle of bc place, it would only be there for the 2weeks. then what? would they move the entire structure to some location outside? hmm..

Here's a bad drawing of a probably equally bad idea....just for fun!

Glass encased cauldron column...out the roof!

Hoping someone else will have a better idea!

Vancouver.jpg

a thought i had...they typically want to keep the cauldron at it's original place after the olympics, for sightseeing purposes etc (i.e. barcelona). if they were to create a cauldron in the middle of bc place, it would only be there for the 2weeks. then what? would they move the entire structure to some location outside? hmm..

They would probably move it.

Atlanta, Sydney, and Salt Lake all moved their cauldrons to a different location.

Some cities just scrap them. Not all cauldrons make good public sculptures.

like that idea. But it's all in the execution I suppose.

And I like it that we still have relatively no idea what the set-up will be. As nice as it is to discuss and figure out the cauldron in the lead-up to the Games, as was the case with Beijing (and indeed, most of us had a good idea a month, if not more, before the ceremony regarding where exactly that cauldron was going to be and how it would move into its final position), there will be some real suspense created for all us if no good pictures and insight is put together between now and Vancouver's Opening Ceremony.

Notice...stirthesoul's renders was quickly taken down. I wonder why? :blink:

oops....forgot about that air pressure roof, guess it might collapse if that exit hole is bigger than the tube!

It also might burn :lol:

unless the tube had 2 layers and had water running through it to keep it really cool

I'm just worried the thing will be the size of a candle out of fear the place will heat up too much.

I can only repeat myself: I think a cauldron reaching through the roof is very (if not absolutely) unlikeable. I don't see the feasibility of such a construction without the collapse or at least scorching of the roof. I also think such an inside/outside cauldron would look very awkward.

I rather think they'll construct something like the Calgary cauldron in the centre of the field -- a cauldron pretty near to the floor when it is lit by the final torchbearer, then rising up hydraulically. So nothing extremely innovative. But maybe they'll have at least an innovative lighting mechanism.