The Olympic Cauldron

The cauldron thing was disappointing and very obvious. The cauldron was my least favourite part of the ceremony. I agree with Fortress of Solitude...I thought that right away and that's what people around me were saying.

In a ceremony that lived with the mantra "less is more", the flipped that on the cauldron. And then the cauldron flipped on them.

Wayne Gretzky needs to work on his poker face. The muck up in Sydney was longer and Cathy Freeman just stood there confident and striking...even though you just knew she was freaking out inside. They might have gotten away with bluffing a three of a kind for a full house, but Gretzky's face said don't bet on it.

At least Miss Doan acted on spot and played her part. Even though it must have been quite sade for her not actually light the cauldron with her other three mates.

Grim face indeed.

Untitled-5.png

That's not the moment I meant. The picture you chose is from the moment when Gretzky had just arrived on his "waiting position" and the deployment of the cauldron should just begin. He made the grim (or nervous) face later.

Anyone thinks that its a good idea to have the other "leg" lighted by Doan tomorrow night on the first night of victory ceremonies?

I think that would be very fair -- because otherwise, she wouldn't be listed as "igniter of the Olympic cauldron" in Olympic history books.

And here's what David Atkins had to say about the failure:

"Fortunately the cauldron functions with three arms, as you saw," Vancouver Olympics executive producer David Atkins said at a news conference late Friday night. "The team did an extraordinary job at the last minute recovering from that and reprogramming the cauldron to still be delivered to the central girder."

Atkins said it was too soon to know what caused the glitch. He pointed out that the same trap door "worked perfectly well" earlier in the ceremony, when it released a totem pole.

Considering the time, effort and money that went into the production, it would've been understandable if Atkins missed a breath or two when the door jammed. He insists there was no time for that.

"It's a live performance. All those things happen," said Atkins, who was the artistic director of the opening and closing ceremonies for the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney.

"We're living in a real world. It's not a post-produced event. It's an event that's produced live with 3 billion people watching. It's that excitement that makes it what it is. So in lots of ways it was a reminder to me that that's what we do. And every day is absolutely 100 percent real."

Atkins offered kudos to LeMay Doan for keeping the scene from getting any worse.

"(She) stood there calmly as I talked her through a non-lighting cauldron moment," he said. "She was quite fabulous."

Better still, Atkins added, "there was a cauldron waiting in the wings."

Source: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ggf2Dt1Urrfx-xnjjaYS2buStU_gD9DR6OPO0

Unfortunately the cauldron was always going to be an issue not necessarily from a mechanical point of view (after all, if the door works once you'd expect it to work again), but more so aesthetically. With the kindest of thoughts it could be said to have been visually arresting or different, but at worst it's just ugly. No matter how many legs arose during the ceremony there have been few cauldrons that have looked less appealing (I'd give Atlanta's a serve simply because it looked like a painted roll of newspaper atop some scaffolding).

IMHO the over technical, avant garde design was in trouble from the get go...people prefer to see something along the lines of Barcelona, Lillehammer, Beijing, Sydney or Athens. Now as for who to blame, poor old David Atkins probably isn't the guy to sheet home total responsibility for the schemozzle. Whomever provided the IT or mechanical services obviously stuffed up, whilst VANOC's top committee folk could have seen the less than appealing aspect of the cauldron.

So, if you're talking to anyone from London, Sochi or Rio tell 'em not to make their cauldron move, and make it look like something that isn't an imitation of Superman's secret hideout.

On CTV it reports the indoor cauldron is already distingued and was never intended to burn for more than a few hours cuz of the roof (and I heare Towerguy yelling "I TOLD YOU SO" somewhere)

So it looks like, the main cauldron is the outdoor one and that's it! Don't know about whether the indoor one will play a part in the closing ceremony though.

That's not the moment I meant. The picture you chose is from the moment when Gretzky had just arrived on his "waiting position" and the deployment of the cauldron should just begin. He made the grim (or nervous) face later.

I know it's not grim per se. So much looks went through his face. But that one shot manages to be surprised and grim in context at the same time.

BTW, Vanoc says the outdoor-cauldron will be become a permanent monument:

http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-news/n/news/vancouver-2010-cauldron-to-stand-as-permanent-legacy-of-games-in-downtown-vancouver-terasen-gas-inc.-provides-iconic-symbol-located-at-jack-poole-plaza-_274412vx.html

NBC just interviewed Wayne Gretzky.

He said that he and the other three torchbearers knew they would light the cauldron as of October 1st, but they didn't knew who the other three would be until they started rehearsing the lighting. So they did rehearse the lighting.

When the cauldron bases wouldn't come up last night, Gretzky said that Atkins kept telling them in their earpieces to stay calm and to keep smiling. He said that everyone in the control room sounded calm and composed.

I just saw recorded ceremony from an international tv channel because it was half night here when it was evening in the Canada. The whole ceremony was magical (offcource not on the level of summer games) it was a perfect performance including choreography light and music, I really missed the firework which they couldn't use due to roof. I don't know why all winter ceremonies look nearly same and especially Atkins have a tradition to use ground projections, projection curtains and faulty cauldrons. The shock waves, clouded, thunderstorm, and maple leaves segments were beautiful, plus audience performed very well. But the thing which has made Vancouver's ceremony memorable is its cauldron, i don't know who gave them idea to use that sticks cauldron, and amazingly they made a big blunder, I cant forget the face of fourth torch bearer waiting for his pole to come out lol. Instead of using one giant cauldron I don't know who gave them idea to fix indoor and out door cauldron and both looks terrible, Both cauldron and their 10 burners do not represent feeling of one Olympic flame, and I hope both will cost them heavy gas bills. In short cauldron looks like an early stove.

Well, that whole "we wanted to extinguish the indoor cauldron anyway" concept is really confusing. And I'm surprised -- there was very much space left between the flames and the roof. And they could even have turned the gas down and make the flames smaller for the course of the Games. So I would have kept it lit, if only to defy Towerguy. ;)

That whole concept means that the real Olympic cauldron was lit only as an afterthought. As I said, the lighting of the outdoor cauldron was very underwhelming especially in German television where they didn't even show Gretzky's way through the city but only the few seconds of the cauldron lighting itself.

I was already disappointed by the lighting method in Torino, but now I'm even more disappointed by Vancouver's method. This is definitely not how to do it if you want to make it exciting and unforgettable. Vancouver's cauldron lighting will be unforgettable only for one reason: The glitch. And I suppose these will be the first and the last Olympic Games where the opening ceremony was staged indoors -- that cauldron confusion really is no promotion for another indoor ceremony.

So I'm hoping for Sochi that they will finally pull off a decent and climatic winter cauldron lighting again -- for the first time since Salt Lake 2002 (where, by the way, the organisers wisely chose to manually pull the lit "flame basket" up to the cauldron's bowl, because of Sydney's cauldron glitch two years before).

I really adore the Vancouver woodden medal steps - wouldn't have been great if there had been a woodden cauldron?

Yea I wooden Cauldron would have been interesting! Maybe the whole thing would have caught fire lol

both looks terrible, Both cauldron and their 10 burners do not represent feeling of one Olympic flame, and I hope both will cost them heavy gas bills.

The outdoor cauldron is actually growing on me and could actually become an iconic part of the waterfront. I wish I knew the indoor one was temporary (and already extinguished) so that I could have adjusted my expectations. The gas company is an Olympic sponsor and is covering all of the cauldron related bills.

Why doesn't the 'outdoor' one pictured above show the CENTRAL cauldron while the indoor one shows the votive candle in the middle which I imagine will be used in the Victory and Closing Ceremony.

No, there is a central cauldron there. Look again.

And I suppose these will be the first and the last Olympic Games where the opening ceremony was staged indoors -- that cauldron confusion really is no promotion for another indoor ceremony.

Well, it's not like there's public outcry about the two-cauldron situation. The world dosen't care. In fact, from news bit here and there, I gather that average people appreciated the fact the spirit of the ceremonies literally spilled out onto the streets of Vancouver when Gretzky made his way to the convention center. Despite the rain, people flooded the streets in excitement. Talk about a truly organic and inclusive atmosphere. I think those images are magical and will become classic in Olympic history.

I don't know. But if I were the IOC, I certainly wouldn't call for any future city with prospects of hosting the Winter Games to build an outdoor stadium to accommodate outdoor ceremonies if they have a competent indoor venue to use. Perhaps the cauldron situation may not be to every GBidder's liking, but the majority of the ceremony wasn't deterred by the fact it was inside.