The Olympic Cauldron

As I said: I don't see that there are currently less posts made about the ceremonies on this board than a couple of months ago. In fact, it might even be the other way around. I for my part don't feel turned off but rather enticed by the secrecy. It might be a little bit frustrating, but on the other hand it motivates me to use my imagination and also my investigative skills. ;)

I agree. You only have to look at the boards, and the cermonies threads over the past wek - and especially last few days - to se hints and rumours are flowing fast.

I can't see what's the big turn off with secrecy anyway. Doesn't anyone like surprises? I can understand the hard core ceremony fans are keen for a few teasers, but it's not like the world is gonna turn off the OC becauser they don't know what's coming.

Apart from the ceremon itself, it's the aftermath discussions here I look forward to most.

I look forward to baron's review, for example ....

Edited by Sir Roltel

To be honest, this is the first time I'm actually anticipating the Opening Ceremony! Before, I just happend to see the show on TV, now I'm actually making plans to watch it! And all the secrecy is killing me! I can't wait to see the whole thing! =D

So here's a new picture and new information about the cauldron from Around The Rings:

eqj51nty.1vs.JPG

A VANOC spokeswoman didn't want to confirm or deny that the structure built beside the Convention Centre is a cauldron. But as we already know from the previous picture showing columns and flame outlets, it can only be a cauldron.

Additionally, the VANOC spokeswoman confirmed that there'll be a cauldron also in Whistler and that it will be lit on February 13, on the day after the opening ceremony.

Source: http://www.aroundtherings.com/articles/view.aspx?id=34218

Based on that photo I am really digging it so far and it looks like it's not far off of what my head had in mind! I'm even more curious about the lighting at BC place now. I have no idea how that type of design would be incorporated.

Maybe it's just me who really really really loves that kind of look, after all I did think Torino's was incredible. B)

Great find! I was wondering where those pictures come from -- they are from this article:

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100209/bc_cauldron_site_100209/20100209?hub=BritishColumbia

So Vancouver really does its version of the Torino cauldron. Oh well -- I still don't like those pipe-shaped cauldrons from which the flames shoot out like on an oil rig. But as there's probably a story behind it (as Mr. X already supposed, four diagonal pipes for the four host First Nations, one vertical pipe sticking out for Canada), I can accept it.

And there might even be another meaning behind it: Five continents, with the host continent America sticking a little bit out.

But I read in the other ceremonies thread that someone compared it to five cigarettes -- a very spot on comparison, in my opinion.

That would be me. It looked as if there were 5 cigarettes tossed into an ashtray.

Perhaps that's non-smoking Vancouver's way of embracing the rest of the still strongly smoking-friendly world? :lol:

All in all I think it's great. When it's revealed and there are some POV's of its height it will probably look really cool. The orange of the side flames contrasting the blue of the centre, and the flame in the middle will make a solid focal point, unlike the Torino flame which had to rely on a negativey-spacey meeting of the series of six flames to be a focus.

Not in the Olympic Flag. That one has only the Americas, Europe, Africa, Asia and Oceania.

The IOC has corrected that interpretation in recent years. Rather than 'representing the continents' which are debatable, they now say that the colors of the 5 rings represent at least one color in every nation's flag. So that kinda shoots down the incorrect notion that the IOC only views the world as "5" continents.

Let's not forget there are two continents named America Olympian2004 :) North and South

Actually no. There is a 4 continent, 5 continent, 5 continent alternative, 6 continent and 7 continent theory. The one used depends roughly on the language you speak. Most Europeans use the 5 continent alternative. Its just the English speaking world that views North and South America as different continents instead of one continuous sociopolitical-geographical entity.

Baron - the choice of colours was meant to be from the flags of the world when Pierre designed it along with representing the coming together of the continents. There is no connection. The latter still appears in the Olympic Charter.

Edited by Faster

Baron - the choice of colours was meant to be from the flags of the world when Pierre designed it along with representing the coming together of the continents. There is no connection. The latter still appears in the Olympic Charter.

They don't undo the Charter...but the press releases that they give commentators points to that fact now...the colors on the flags...and they are getting away from the erroneous inerpretation of only 5 continents. I mean a new continent just got its FIRST Games!!

They don't undo the Charter...but the press releases that they give commentators points to that fact now...the colors on the flags...and they are getting away from the erroneous inerpretation of only 5 continents. I mean a new continent just got its FIRST Games!!

Seeing it this way, are the Pan American Games a bi-continental event?