The Olympic Cauldron

It's fine to say it's boring in the meantime because it kinda is, but will it really be anitclimatic? Will it be anticlimactic for everything to be revealed at once, for everything to be a complete surprise and unexpected. Things aren't climatic when they're stretched out weeks before the real deal.

You might have a point there. Although I'm not one of the "don't tell me before the ceremony" purists and am always very eager to have some impressions already before the ceremony, I can't say that it feels anticlimatic or boring for me right now. It's quite the opposite. I anticipate the opening ceremony and especially the cauldron lighting very strongly, even though we get almost no information about the ceremonies in advance.

But at least we've got (returning to the actual subject of this thread) enough photographic impressions of the cauldron at the Convention Centre to allow some speculation about its final look, the final torch bearers and the lighting mechanism. I hope that we'll have (and I'm pretty certain that we will) further photographic "evidence" in the remaining ten days to give our discussions new fuel. But even if we didn't get that evidence, I could live with that and it wouldn't kill my anticipation.

Well, secrecy with the 2010 Ceremonies also has much to do with the fact that it's an indoor venue...everything is hidden. We have no idea what's going on. Then there's the fact that the size of the Ceremonies performers/volunteers is significantly smaller than Beijing so there's a much less likelihood of things being leaked out.

I'm not feeling the same kind of excitement I did for Beijing. I'm not really sure why, maybe is the atmosphere Vancouver is giving off with low public support and all the crazy protesters. I can only hope the Opening Ceremony will change my view.

I'm not feeling the same kind of excitement I did for Beijing. I'm not really sure why, maybe is the atmosphere Vancouver is giving off with low public support and all the crazy protesters. I can only hope the Opening Ceremony will change my view.

In a way, we're expecting another Beijing to happen...what the Chinese did for their Games was a massive undertaking in both quality and quantity. And the Chinese were really pumped about their Games.

I think Vancouverites will warm up quite a bit when the flame comes into the city.

I suppose your probably right mr.x, Beijing was so incredible it probably wont be matched for a very long time and maybe never by a winter games. In my opinion we shouldn't compare Vancouver with Beijing but rather Vancouver with Torino and SLC.

I dont like absolute secrecy about the ceremonies as well, but i also dont like that they show a lot of details about it. One of the things that made me dislike 2006 ceremonies was that they purposely shown a lot of details for the opening ceremonies even 3 months before the games (i remember they even shown a render of the stage, and the Sparks of passion thingie in December 2005). That kinda ruined the wow factor to me, and when i watched the actual Torino OC, to be honest, i was a little dissapointed <_< .

I believe, since we're almost only 7 weeks before the OC, maybe they will start to show some small details of what we're going to see (or maybe they'll name some of the performers), or a sneak peak video like Beijing did (and im not talking about that korean vid btw but one they shown three days before the OC). Also lets remember Doha didnt unveiled much details as well back in 2006 (and everyone knows how awesome was that opening) Altough i dont think they'll surpass Beijing 2008 ceremonies (which is something pretty hard to do anyway, Beijing has lifted the bar pretty high IMO ) i'm sure they still will be spectacular and i'm eager to watch them.

lol.

I'm not caving into that trap, x! But I will comment on the secrecy in general. There have already been a few people turned away for potential leaks. Not even bona-fide caught in the act, but just "likely" situations. This happened way before I started so I don't know what the details were, but they are enforcing the protection of the information diligently.

It's 10 days on and now I've just about seen everything as far as the ceremonies are concerned. I'll never tell. :ph34r:

So why do you even make such a comment then? I can't stand when people say "I know more than you do, but I won't tell". I'd rather wish that they kept their mouth completely shut on that matter.

• Like 1

So why do you even make such a comment then? I can't stand when people say "I know more than you do, but I won't tell". I'd rather wish that they kept their mouth completely shut on that matter.

OUCH! Jealous much? I'll taunt and tease as much as I very well want to. I worked very hard to get this job and now that I've got it I'm going to squeeze it for all the juice I can and if I end up looking annoying then I don't give a damn. Eat it. ;)

• Like 1

OUCH! Jealous much? I'll taunt and tease as much as I very well want to. I worked very hard to get this job and now that I've got it I'm going to squeeze it for all the juice I can and if I end up looking annoying then I don't give a damn. Eat it. ;)

Translation: "IT'S GOING TO BE THE BEST OPENING CEREMONY EVER!!! HUZZAH!!! GO CANADA GO! VIVRE LE CANADA!"

And I'll criticise that behaviour as much as I want to. That doesn't have anything to do with jealousy -- but only with getting unnerved by braggers.

My guess is that the big olympic rings (those that they took away from the waterfront) are going to be used somehow as/in the cauldron and the final torchbearer comes with the skis (hope he's not that injured person!)down from the ramp/slope full of snow and somehow lights the cauldron/olympic rings!

Just guessing... :P