The Olympic Cauldron

And what's your problem with UBC exactly? I'm an alumnus and I work there.

Do you have a point exactly? Or are you just being a petulant twat?

yeah Mr. X you clown if you really think that I ruined this forum, then you really are an idiot.

Like most of your buddies there at UBC

It doesn't have to be a catastrophic explosion. The heat from the flame will cause the roof to expand, then tear and a small air leak will cause the roof to deflate.

Stadium staff will turn on more fans to keep the pressure equilibrium and keep the roof from deflating.

The tear will get bigger.

More fans get turned on, now blowing full blast.

Then the tear rips wide open

OK....I'm sure you all have discussed this to death...but......

If a flame/cauldron was to be in the stadium I am absolutely sure there would be a way to contain it, and ventilate it in a way that would not add any heat/pressure to the stadium. Doesn't seem that complicated in the year 2010. This ain't Chamonix.

• 2 weeks later...

Many peoples are worried about the look of BC place for the opening ceremonies but one think goes on our fever. I remember john furlong saying the fact that the handover wasnt a big success as it was suposse to be waas because the way the camera were seat, they were seat for torino closing cememonies and vancouver was kind of a guest with no power to control them at them advantage of our handover but at the best advantage of the overall ceremony..... he also said in 2010 we will be able to control our camera to show what we want to show. so basicaly, even if the whole stadium isnt perfect... maybe the spectators will see some the oldnest of the stadium but maybe the billions of peoples watching on tv will never have once piece of a clue.... dont know if I have been able to explain what i am trying to say clearly hope i did ( i am french afterall LOL).

But i agree with kendegra in feb nobody will recognize BC place. I dont think VANOC would of plan ceremonies there if they didnt think they could make it something gr8 out of it... but yeah it will be interesting to see once feb comes. Afterall we have the designer of syndey 2000.... I dont think him also would of been associated to something that isnt gr8. I remember have seen a video of ten minutes of him talking about what he vision, hopes and want for 2010, nice video out of youtube unfortunatly. Listen to him vancouver 2010 will have gr8 ceremonies.

I'm for one glad that not much has been revelead, whether officially or by speculation, about Vancouver's cauldron(s). A number of us figured out Beijing's weeks before that Opening Ceremony. It would be quite suspensful to see what they do LIVE for a change.

I'm for one glad that not much has been revelead, whether officially or by speculation, about Vancouver's cauldron(s). A number of us figured out Beijing's weeks before that Opening Ceremony. It would be quite suspensful to see what they do LIVE for a change.

I agree -- but I expect something to leak nevertheless before the opening ceremony. We still have almost two months to go, and I'm not sure whether we already knew about Torino's cauldron already at that point of time.

If the cauldron is inside BC Place stadium, it will be very hard to find out what is going on. You couldn't miss what Torino or Beijing did as the stadiums weren't covered by a roof like BC Place is. BC Place now belongs to VANOC, or all intents and purposes and they are going to hold a lid on it. So to speak. ;)

If it is outside (which I think is unlikely), then we will probably know sooner as it will be out in the open.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe it’ll be something as simple as having two cauldrons, one inside BC Place that kinda looks the Rio 2007 cauldron, that can be small but visible and then athletes can stand in front of it for Victory Ceremonies, and then there be a giant, more traditional cauldron outside the media center that will be seen all over Vancouver. But I guess we'll find out on Feb. 12, unless somebody can break into BC Place and smuggle out some useful information...

If there isn't something visible outside it's going to SUCK.

And there HAS TO BE something inside too.

Why am I getting nervous about this not being something significant? :unsure:

Well, isn’t BC Place going to be renovated and made into an open air stadium? So why not just light the roof on fire and get rid of it, then revile the cauldron which will be seen inside and outside the stadium. :lol:

Funny...there appears to be a big gas canister down at the Convention Centre. Or maybe it is for the hot dogs.

Thank you for that information. Can you take any pictures by chance?

And what happened to that mysterious scaffolding in this clip? Is it still there? Or are there any changes compared to the clip?