Summer Olympics Vs. Winter Olympics

Summer Olympics vs Winter Olympics  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite the Summer Olympic Games or the Winter Olympic Games?

• Summer Olympics
    • Winter Olympics

The biathlon is the would-be assassin's perfect sport. The triathlon is for all those dandies who like to run in those lycra outfits and sport those snazzy biking helmets. Now, tell me, which is the purer sport?

Oh yeah, because that's an Olympic ideal. Bring people of all nations together in peace and harmony...so they can kill eachother! *evil laughter*

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Winter Olympics are lame, especially the biathalon. That's the stupidest sport ever. I do enjoy the opening/closing ceremonies, although the Torino's were a somewhat odd in some parts like that flaming rollerblader. :huh:

Can you explain how Biathlon is stupid? Seriously, have you actually bothered to watch a couple of races? Its seriously one of the most exiting sport out there. Oh, and the men's Pursuit was arguably the best moment of the '06 games...

Not anymore stupid than the triathlon. The biathlon has military roots. What does the triathlon have? Nothing but 2 less sports than the pentathlon and 7 less than the decathlon.

The biathlon is great because it's about total self-control. After the X-country laps, when your pulse is raging, you are supposed to slow it down so you can hit your marks. And if you fail, then you do the penalty laps!! Does triathlon have this? Of course not.

The biathlon is the would-be assassin's perfect sport. The triathlon is for all those dandies who like to run in those lycra outfits and sport those snazzy biking helmets. Now, tell me, which is the purer sport?

Just playing Devil's advocate here, but, the Triathlon grew out of the question: Who is the better athlete? The Swimmer? The Cyclist? or the Runner? You practically have to be a superhuman athlete to finish a Triathlon. Now granted, the Olympic version is abbreviated as compared to the Ironman, but still. The Biathlon has military roots? Who cares? All the more reason maybe it doesn't belong in the games. I mean the Olympic Games are all about peace and all nations are supposed to cease fire and stop conflict right? So how does a sport with military origins fit?

Just playing Devil's advocate here, but, the Triathlon grew out of the question: Who is the better athlete? The Swimmer? The Cyclist? or the Runner? You practically have to be a superhuman athlete to finish a Triathlon. Now granted, the Olympic version is abbreviated as compared to the Ironman, but still. The Biathlon has military roots? Who cares? All the more reason maybe it doesn't belong in the games. I mean the Olympic Games are all about peace and all nations are supposed to cease fire and stop conflict right? So how does a sport with military origins fit?

Details. It doesn't matter.

It's there way ahead of that johnny-come-lately triathlon.

What about Modern Pentathlon? Archery? Javelin Throw? Shooting? Wrestling? Taekwondo? Fencing? All of those sports have military origins. Heck, most of the events in the Ancient games had militaristic roots, yet they still had an Olympic truce.

Anyway, the point is that the IBU World Cup is one of the most successful winter sports circuit out there, and Biathlon is certainly one of the most entertaining Olympic sport, summer or winter.

What about Modern Pentathlon? Archery? Javelin Throw? Shooting? Wrestling? Taekwondo? Fencing? All of those sports have military origins. Heck, most of the events in the Ancient games had militaristic roots, yet they still had an Olympic truce.

Anyway, the point is that the IBU World Cup is one of the most successful winter sports circuit out there, and Biathlon is certainly one of the most entertaining Olympic sport, summer or winter.

I really don't care if Biathlon stays or goes. Personally, I find it boring as hell.

I also don't think of Archery or Javelin having military origins. To me it harkens back to basic human survival skills - like hunting. And even wrestling is more one on one thing, and not military vs. military. I'd say those examples are weak for "military origins".

Biathlon ties together lots of winter activities though.

It combines endurance with absolute skill. I couldn't imagine a winter games without the sport.

To me it would be like removing the marathon from the Summer programme which obviously has would not happen.

Biathlon ties together lots of winter activities though.

It combines endurance with absolute skill. I couldn't imagine a winter games without the sport.

To me it would be like removing the marathon from the Summer programme which obviously has would not happen.

I don't really think you can make the comparison because of the marathon's huge historic significance. I mean, the medal ceremony is during the closing ceremony for goodness sake.

I don't really think you can make the comparison because of the marathon's huge historic significance. I mean, the medal ceremony is during the closing ceremony for goodness sake.

Well, I can and I just did.

What's the marathon medal ceremony got to do with anything?

I think Biathlon is a great sport.

Roux, the MEN's (notice they don't include the women's winners in the closing) medal ceremony in the Closing Ceremony is a tradition ONLY since 1984 when Los Angeles added it to the CC...just to give the Closing a little more substance other than just everyone marching in, seeing all the flags one last time, speeches and fireworks. It is NOT a time-honored tradition...any more than the present awarding of bronze first, silver second and gold last is also a 21st century development....started only in Salt Lake. Someone had to tell those bozos at the IOC that this is how it's done correctly...and of course, it had to be the Yanks. ;)

I'm really not fond of anything involving guns. I might find biathlon interesting if it was cross country skiing combined with archery. I understand the origins of Biathlon, but I wonder why nobody has ever considered skiing with archery instead?

..any more than the present awarding of bronze first, silver second and gold last is also a 21st century development....started only in Salt Lake.

What? It's always done that way, at least in the summer games...and I can't ever remember it being any other way in the winter games.

I'm really not fond of anything involving guns. I might find biathlon interesting if it was cross country skiing combined with archery. I understand the origins of Biathlon, but I wonder why nobody has ever considered skiing with archery instead?

Well, they could combine it with ski-jumping -- shoot while in mid-air!!

I think Biathlon of course started in the Nordic countries (& perhaps Switzerland?) where you had to X-country and then shoot either the enemy or some partridge or reindeer.

Hey, for ski-jumping/archery, how about having an apple on a boy's head as the target? And it can all be done timed to the "William Tell Overture"!! :lol:

NOPE. The new order became effective 2002 for BOTH winter AND summer. Look at old pre-2002 footage.

I honestly don't ever remeber it being any other way. It only makes sense to me that bronze should be first, and gold last, so maybe that's why.

There is a biathlon where archery is the shooting component.

Biathlon is all Norwegian baron. No g-d damn Swiss, Swedish or Danish involved.

I like all the winter sports, they're interesting, exciting and lacking Chinese domination (for now). I could do without a couple summer sports (I hate basketball and modern pentathlon is just idiotic)

I like all the winter sports, they're interesting, exciting and lacking Chinese domination (for now). I could do without a couple summer sports (I hate basketball and modern pentathlon is just idiotic)

There are some summer events I could do without as well. I don't care for basketball either, or women's wrestling. The fact that golf is on the programme now makes me so mad!!

There are some summer events I could do without as well. I don't care for basketball either, or women's wrestling. The fact that golf is on the programme now makes me so mad!!

Golf in the Olympics is just pathetic. But so is Tennis. And Soccer. All three should be out and all three for the same reason: the Olympic Games is NOT the pinnacle of each sport. The Golf majors (or "Gold Grand Slam" as it's sometimes called), the Tennis Grand Slam and the World Cup are for each respective case.

Golf in the Olympics is just pathetic. But so is Tennis. And Soccer. All three should be out and all three for the same reason: the Olympic Games is NOT the pinnacle of each sport. The Golf majors (or "Gold Grand Slam" as it's sometimes called), the Tennis Grand Slam and the World Cup are for each respective case.

By your logic, Rugby also shouldn't be included and Boxing and Triathlon should be excluded...

I don't agree with your logic. For me, the Olympics is a celebration between different people and cultures through sports wich are praticed worldwide.

For me, it shouldn't have anything to do with the political side of sports. So what if the soccer gold is worth less than a world cup title? What's important is the experience, not who wins...

By your logic, Rugby also shouldn't be included and Boxing and Triathlon should be excluded...

I don't agree with your logic. For me, the Olympics is a celebration between different people and cultures through sports wich are praticed worldwide.

For me, it shouldn't have anything to do with the political side of sports. So what if the soccer gold is worth less than a world cup title? What's important is the experience, not who wins...

I don't think Rugby should be in there either, just because there's too many goddam sports already. Anyway, I'm not the only one who thinks this way, it's said often and I agree with it.

By your logic, Rugby also shouldn't be included

That's not the case with Rugby 7s.

Yes, the 15s game has its own World Cup which is its pinnacle, but the 7s World Cup in 2013 will be its last, to make way for the Olympic tournament.

That leaves the yearly World Cup series, which I would probably individually rank as less than the Commonwealth Games comp.

That's not the case with Rugby 7s.

Yes, the 15s game has its own World Cup which is its pinnacle, but the 7s World Cup in 2013 will be its last, to make way for the Olympic tournament.

That leaves the yearly World Cup series, which I would probably individually rank as less than the Commonwealth Games comp.

FIFA has been also trying to switch football with futsal, but there is a lot of IOC resistance because there are not enough women practising futsal. However, the Women's Olympic Football Torunament gets more attention than the FIFA Women's World Cup.

Archived