Summer Olympics Vs. Winter Olympics

Summer Olympics vs Winter Olympics  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite the Summer Olympic Games or the Winter Olympic Games?

• Summer Olympics
    • Winter Olympics

The winter games didn't even start until 1924.

While it is true, the winter sports were part of the Olympic programme long before that date. You may also know that the ISU is older than the IOC :P

I prefer Winter Games, because they are smaller and more familiar. Not every thing is perfect in the winter sports, but the federations like ISU, FIS or IBU are doing much more against doping compared to FINA, FIFA or IAAF.

It may be also due to the fact that winter sports are less record-oriented. If I'm not msitaken, records are only registered in speed-skating there :blink:

I might find biathlon interesting if it was cross country skiing combined with archery. I understand the origins of Biathlon, but I wonder why nobody has ever considered skiing with archery instead?

Archery biathlon does exist and international competitions are regular. It is not anywhere as popular though ;)

Biathlon is all Norwegian baron.

Where did you get that from? Most Olympic golds in the sport belong to their 'neighbours from the East' so far B)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Biathlon was invented in Norway.

Ok, sorry, I did not get your idea at first.

Even if that is the case (arguable), your logic still sounds strange to me though.

Is the sport of football 'all English', because they (arguably) invented it?

PS excuse me for going a bit off topic here...

Ok, sorry, I did not get your idea at first.

Even if that is the case (arguable), your logic still sounds strange to me though.

PS excuse me for going a bit off topic here...

Its first a phrase. And there is no argument about it biathlon was invited in Norway, it was developed as part of Norwegian military training.

Depends what you mean by 'football'. Games involving the kicking or handling of a ball go back centuries to ancient times.The ancient Chinese,Greeks,Romans,Mayans etc.all developed various ball games that often involved (but not necessarily) kicking it from one side to the other.

However,the modern game of Association Football (sometimes called 'Soccer' for short) traces its origin to the rules laid down by the newly formed English Football Association in 1863.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football

By the way,I voted for the Summer Games mainly because of the varied settings (snow and mountains can all appear rather similar no matter where they are located) but also because they are the only ones where British athletes have any chance of winning a medal! ;)

But I do enjoy watching the Winter Games as well.

Depends what you mean by 'football'. Games involving the kicking or handling of a ball go back centuries to ancient times.The ancient Chinese,Greeks,Romans,Mayans etc.all developed various ball games that often involved (but not necessarily) kicking it from one side to the other.

However,the modern game of Association Football (sometimes called 'Soccer' for short) traces its origin to the rules laid down by the newly formed English Football Association in 1863.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football

By the way,I voted for the Summer Games mainly because of the varied settings (snow and mountains can all appear rather similar no matter where they are located) but also because they are the only ones where British athletes have any chance of winning a medal! ;)

But I do enjoy watching the Winter Games as well.

Football Association (FA) unified the rules off football in 1863. Before that football had several different rules usually named after the university where it was practiced. The most famous of those ancient rules is now called Rugby. Rugby is nothing but one of the ancient rules for football.

By the way, the Italians also claim the invention of the modern sport, which would have been brought to England by the Romans. In Florence, an annual medieval festival includes an ancient form of football which also includes the use of the hands. That's why Italians do not use an adapted form of the English word football to name the sport, but a genuinely Italian name: Giocco di Calcio (something like kicking game).

Its first a phrase. And there is no argument

There are lots of arguments and there are multiple alternative sources and povs, but that never was my point.

My point is that whoever 'invented' the sport does not matter for its modern international practice and meaning.

It is especially true for Olympic sports because they are universal by definition :mellow:

Football Association (FA) unified the rules off football in 1863. Before that football had several different rules usually named after the university where it was practiced. The most famous of those ancient rules is now called Rugby. Rugby is nothing but one of the ancient rules for football.

That's my point.The rules of the game we play today in all our soccer stadiums and leagues and international competitions originate with those laid down by the Football Association of England in 1863 (hence 'association football or 'soccer' for short).Rugby is yet another variant whose rules were first established at Rugby Public School in England.It continues to be called 'Rugby' wherever it is played.

By the way, the Italians also claim the invention of the modern sport, which would have been brought to England by the Romans. In Florence, an annual medieval festival includes an ancient form of football which also includes the use of the hands. That's why Italians do not use an adapted form of the English word football to name the sport, but a genuinely Italian name: Giocco di Calcio (something like kicking game).

Not sure how the game started in England but football games were certainly being played there in the Middle Ages.Of course it had no particular rules and in 1314,King Edward II famously issued an order banning the playing of football in the streets of London because of the threat of serious injury to the participants.Football hooliganism is certainly no modern phenomenon! ;)

Here is an interesting account of the possible origins of football:

http://www.who-invented-football.com/who-i...ed-football.htm

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure how the game started in England but football games were certainly being played there in the Middle Ages.Of course it had no particular rules and in 1314,King Edward II famously issued an order banning the playing of football in the streets of London because of the threat of serious injury to the participants.Football hooliganism is certainly no modern phenomenon! ;)

Here is an interesting account of the possible origins of football:

http://www.who-invented-football.com/who-i...ed-football.htm

By that same time, the Mayas used to play a sort of football as well. They just played it with their enemies heads instead of balls! :blink:

Archived