Summer Olympics Vs. Winter Olympics

Summer Olympics vs Winter Olympics  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite the Summer Olympic Games or the Winter Olympic Games?

• Summer Olympics
    • Winter Olympics

The Winter Games grew and matured in their own right...the vote to a schedule switch in 1986 was a recognition of that and a way to better market the two games.

Actually it was a financial decision, because it was just too expensive to have two games in one year, especially from the sponsors point of view. Switching to the alternating schedule made it more feasible to continue to even have a winter games.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only two winter sports that I know of that were ever part of the summer games was Figure Skating, which was first held in 1908, and Ice Hockey, one time, in 1920. Then the IOC started the "Winter Sports Festival" in 1924 which then retroactively became the "Olympic Winter Games".

Actually it was a financial decision, because it was just too expensive to have two games in one year, especially from the sponsors point of view. Switching to the alternating schedule made it more feasible to continue to even have a winter games.

I'm sure it was a case of both. It's better for the IOC and it's better for the sponsors too. Winners all round really. Has anybody really lost out?

I'm sure it was a case of both. It's better for the IOC and it's better for the sponsors too. Winners all round really. Has anybody really lost out?

Actually, the NOCs too, because they were scrambling to field two teams in about 6-7 months' time; then grab and hold on to sponsors to carry thrm to the next 4 year cycle.

Plus, the biggest thing for US advertisers was that they had the US presidential elections to contend with, so 2 Olympics and 1 presidential election stretched them out too thin and who would ultimately lose out? The IOC...which is why they arrived at the prudent decision to split the timing. So, it's only the FIFA world cup that sort of competes for the (same) sponsors in the off-year.

Winter games . I think when you have a majority of the summer events indoors or in the constraints of a Arena , Stadium you are then getting a side show or Architects Egos. The fact of enjoying the natural beauty of Forests and Mountains in the Cases of Nordic and Alpine events has a spectacle all its own . Some of the Opening and closing ceremonies for winter games using the canvas of snow and Ice has a magic all it own. Lillehammer had opening ceremonies on the Ski jump hill i beleive and that was incredible even compared to later games both summer and winter.

The Winter Games got ripped off by the Summer Games . Basketball a Summer Sport ? No hardly as Nesmith invented the game as a sport to be play indoor during the winter. Winter is when it is still played by the NBA and that will never change.

I like the summer Games but only when it is going to places not burning into my retinas from the day i was born . Ie America and Europe LOL.

Jim jones

I've always enjoyed the Winter Olympic Games more, watching the Opening Ceremony for Lillehammer was what first drew me into the games, as I was so amazed at what I was seeing. Fast forward to four years later and I had a chance to watch an entire week of the Nagano games due to being home from school sick, again I was amazed by the new culture, this time Japanese. Salt Lake City was the next time around and they exceeded anything I had seen before, and Torino was just as amazing in their own right. This time more for the performances of Canadians (Cindy Klassen and Chandra Crawford especially) and the amazing act of sportsmanship when a Norwegian coach gave Sara Reiner Norway's spare ski pole, even though doing so meant Norway finishing in 4th. The tradition and community of the Winter Olympic Games is, to me, what sets the games apart from the summer version.

The tradition and community of the Winter Olympic Games is, to me, what sets the games apart from the summer version.

Yeah, I guess the summer games have no tradition huh? And the winter games always have such great community. Like when one figure skater pays money to have another skater clobbered in the legs to take her out of the competition, or figure skating judges that are pressured to favor one pair of skaters over another and...

Yeah, I guess the summer games have no tradition huh? And the winter games always have such great community.

1. Like when one figure skater pays money to have another skater clobbered in the legs to take her out of the competition,

2. or figure skating judges that are pressured to favor one pair of skaters over another and...

2. I'll address #2 first. Biased judging happens blatantly in boxing (where they CLUB each other) and diving.

Now #1: Harding did NOT pay (she didn't have any money) her sleazo boyfriend and his scumbag friends to strike Kerrigan. They did it of their own accord. As a result of which, clubbing your opponents is NOW a winter speciality. Nothing like that happens in the summer which is why they are soooooooooooo boring.

Summerites, do NOT steal this activity. It is patented only for the Winter Games. :lol:

Yeah, I guess the summer games have no tradition huh? And the winter games always have such great community. Like when one figure skater pays money to have another skater clobbered in the legs to take her out of the competition, or figure skating judges that are pressured to favor one pair of skaters over another and...

Faster wasn't saying that the summer games have no tradition but rather that he prefers the culture and tradition of the winter games.

And biased voting happens in the Summer games too. Just watch any gymnastics competition to see judges award scores to undeserving athletes.

Point to where I said that it didn't.

[/quote

You drew distinction to the fact that in the winter games, that vote fraud happens in ice skating and you mentioned the Harding/Kerrigan incident as if fraud only happens in the winter games. You never mentioned anything of the sort concerning the Summer games.

You drew distinction to the fact that in the winter games, that vote fraud happens in ice skating and you mentioned the Harding/Kerrigan incident as if fraud only happens in the winter games. You never mentioned anything of the sort concerning the Summer games.

Think again. I merely pointed out those incidents due to Fasters claim of "sense of community" in the winter games. Merely pointing that out in counter claim dose not automatically translate into a denial of said same problems in the summer games.

Why do you have to be a douche and try to belittle why I prefer the Winter Olympic Games?

There is a greater sense of community amongst the winter sports, this is common knowledge to anyone that watches sport. There is less athletes, less countries and the relationships are more on a personal, more human scale. You don't see the athletes stand and cheer for the last competitor in the marathon, but I have seen it when athletes from Ghana or Cameroon cross the line cross country skiing. There is no transnational training in summer sport, there is in winter sports amongst various teams. You don't have the holier-then-thou basketball players demanding 5-star accommodations, the hockey players stay in the village like everyone else.

Isolated incident don't change the whole.

Archived