134th Open Championship

Golf's coming home this week as St Andrews stages the world's greatest championship for the 27th time.

I can't see anyone other than Tiger Woods winning it, but who saw Ben Curtis and Todd Hamilton winning it in the last couple of years?

Who's all your money on?

The opening day is drawing to a close with Tiger Woods leading the field at six under par, one ahead of Australia's Mark Hensby and two clear of a huge group of players including England's Luke Donald and South Africa's Retief Goosen.

Of the other big names, Vijay Singh is three behind and Sergio Garcia is four back while Phil Mickelson and Ernie Els are eight shots back at two over, the same mark as defending champion Todd Hamilton.

Jack Nicklaus is at three over in his final Open and I fear it will be tomorrow and not Sunday when we say farewell to the greatest player of them all.

Today was the day golf said goodbye to Jack Nicklaus. The reception as he walked up 18 was extraordinary and I can't believe there was a dry eye in the house. A wonderful farewell to the greatest champion of them all.

Back to the tournament and Tiger Woods has extended his lead to four shots over Colin Montgomerie.

Harry Vardon holds that record with six titles between 1896 and 1914. In modern times, both Peter Thomson and Tom Watson won five times each.

A fabulous third round has just finished with Tiger's lead now down to two from Jose Maria Olazabal. Monty is three back alongside Retief Goosen. It all promises much for a wonderful final day.

Woods wins by five shots from Colin Montgomerie.

In the end, the chasers really gave it to Woods, but he still has to win it.

Nonetheless, I'm delighted that Monty has recorded his best ever finish in an Open. There's life in the old boy yet maybe.

Archived