Munichs 2018 Bid Logo

Anything's better than London's......

;)

Still -I don't know why- It's better than london 2012 logo... I don't know but IF only london put the word of london 2012 below the logo and the olympic ring below the word -like other olympic logos- I'll love london logo :)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL - it took a while for the pic of the winning logo to load up at first, so I was reading the comments but still didn't know which had won. I assumed by the disdain it was #1. I knew most people liked #3. There was no way in the world I'd expected them to go with #2. I hate the arrows - they look so added in at the last moment. I doubt it would win a GamesBid design a fantasy logo contest.

The good thing is, as has ben mentioned, it changes if Munich wins. You'd only have to live with it three or four years and then you can forget about it forever.

And yet we continue the unimaginative bid logos that seem to be taking place. In my opinion the last really good bid logo was Vancouver 2010 (before they switched to the hideous current logo).

I was really hoping that the star looking logo would have won - it was cool, new, futuristic, and in my opinion reflected modern Germany more so than the other logos combined. But oh well, still putting my support behind Munich 2018! :)

I think worse than london is Sao Paulo 2014 WC but they were suggested to get a new one.

I don't like this logo from Munich but the website'sinterface is quite cool... That star has no connection with the mountain whatsoever..

It doesn't look that bad on the website actually. But I agree about the criss-cross effects on the website, they do make your eyes hurt.

The thing is about this logo, it'd be a perfectly acceptable, if slightly bland logo, were it not for those weird superfluous arrows in the corner. Why are they there??

I think worse than london is Sao Paulo 2014 WC but they were suggested to get a new one.

I don't like this logo from Munich but the website'sinterface is quite cool... That star has no connection with the mountain whatsoever..

It doesn't look that bad on the website actually. But I agree about the criss-cross effects on the website, they do make your eyes hurt.

The thing is about this logo, it'd be a perfectly acceptable, if slightly bland logo, were it not for those weird superfluous arrows in the corner. Why are they there??

I also like the website and don't understand the arrows...

I can't find the english version of the website to find more info... Am I blind? :blink:

I think the logo would be somewhat better if the designer hadn't got creative with the Photoshop filters . But it's not that bad when you look at it (But not for too long. It might give you headache) and I believe it'll grow on people...eventualy. I hope? XD

Or by the time it grows on people, Munich will either be finished or moving on to a Games-time logo. It was the most amateur, least inspired and most dated of the three presented. Very early 90s.

I know its a little bit "off-topic" but I have to admit that I liked the bid logo of Vancouver more than the present one - I love that combination of sea-and-mountain meaning...

There are 6 arrows, I think they represent the 6 continents And the arrows pointing inside "bringing all nations to the same place" also viewed from far the star seems to shine with colorful rays.. =\

I know its a little bit "off-topic" but I have to admit that I liked the bid logo of Vancouver more than the present one - I love that combination of sea-and-mountain meaning...
and sochi tried to imitate vancouver's logo.

Agreed, loved Vancouver's bid logo - probably my favorite bid logo of all time! The look of the games would have been so much better had Vancouver been able to use the bid logo as their official logo. It totally represented the Sea to Sky Games concept and that it was in fact a Canadian city.

Vancouver2010_bid.png

Whether deliberate or not, I've noted the similarities as well and thought how alike they look. In form, colours, shape etc. the two logos are quite similar

_39224524_logo_vancouver_100.giflogo2_sochi.jpg

It's an interesting point actually. It's almost as though Tokyo "copied" London's bid logo as well.

tokyo2016_logo.gif

Do people think successful bid logos are more likely to be emulated than unsuccessful ones?

No they never. How is Sochi's 'snowflake' copying Vancouver's 'mapleleaf'?
look at the logo's similarities before firing any bullets. during last the bidding phase when the logo came out the first word in a lot of people's mouth was Vancouver.

Do people think successful bid logos are more likely to be emulated than unsuccessful ones?

That's an interesting question. Beijing 2008 certainly took cues from the successful bid logos of Atlanta 1996 and Sydney 2000, although it is a pretty common thing to for bids to use the five Olympic colours to try and make their city look more Olympic. Seoul 1988, Barcelona 1992, Atlanta 1996, Sydney 2000, Beijing 2008, and London 2012 all did it and all won. But using the five colours seems to limit you to a five sided or lined shape like a flower, a star, a human figure, or an interpretation of some famous feature of the bidding city.

But really, the logo is only a symbol to represent the bid and isn't in and of itself the whole deal.

Archived