2018 Bid Cities Announced

This is the smallest # of applicants in a very long time. There's not gonna be a short-list this time. The IOC is going to push them all through. They're not gonna want to sacrifice any one of them, since the list is so small to begin with, unless one of them is really, really bad, which is highly doubtful.

And really, why should the bidding schedule change due to the low # of applicants? The IOC is still gonna be very busy with Vancouver next year, & the 2018 bidding cities don't really have a full 2 years of campaigning, they only have 1 year & 8 months. The bidding cities are still going to need every moment of that time to get all of their work, detailing, lobbying & consulting done properly & accurately.

Again, unless one of the bids are really, really bad (which is highly unlikely), then all 3 will become candidates & go to the final vote. The list of applicants is too small to begin with to make even further cuts. The IOC would want to keep it as interesting as possible.

I don't think Munich has this in the bag. I think all 3 will make it to candidature for sure...after that whichever European bid <I>doesn't</I> fall off after the first ballot will go toe-to-toe with Pyeonchang.

Unless the Chinese are doing some backroom lobbying for a 2022 Harbin bid, I think the Koreans will get this. The only thing they might consider doing is upgrading the local airport to alllow more direct flights there rather than to Seoul/Incheon.

The Koreans have hosted lots of elite sport events since 2003. They've a reputation for delivering. And the sense of national pride is a huge advantage as well.

Only 3 locales for the 2018 Winter Olympics?

Anyway, it is going to be interesting on how the IOC is going to do the evaluation process this time around. I suspect that they will all become candidate cities and be done with that.

Only 3 locales for the 2018 Winter Olympics?

Anyway, it is going to be interesting on how the IOC is going to do the evaluation process this time around. I suspect that they will all become candidate cities and be done with that.

Long time to see ! Guardian !

Archived