A Note For Tier 2 American Cities

You do not have the international image and cachet to successfully bid for the games. You are competing with the likes of Tokyo, Rome, Paris, etc in a game that is already biased against the USA. The odds of the USOC choosing you are slim at best to begin with. Do not get your hopes up over the Olympics. You (except for Houston) do not have the corporate base to rase upwards of $75-100 million just to bid for these games.

You will fail. It is folly.

You do not have the international image and cachet to successfully bid for the games. You are competing with the likes of Tokyo, Rome, Paris, etc in a game that is already biased against the USA. The odds of the USOC choosing you are slim at best to begin with. Do not get your hopes up over the Olympics. You (except for Houston) do not have the corporate base to rase upwards of $75-100 million just to bid for these games.

You will fail. It is folly.

What do you define as 2nd tier US cities? Are you talking more like a Tulsa and Birmingham or a Houston and Denver?

Tulsa & Birmingham aren't even 3rd-tier cities. Just backwater alley towns, who are totally delusional about an Olympic bid.

Minneapolis, Pittsburgh & Denver are 3rd-tier.

Houston is definitely 2nd-tier, but at the moment, not even that is gonna cut it. Maybe in another 20-30 years, Houston might grow enough by then to maybe give it a shot.

Tulsa & Birmingham aren't even 3rd-tier cities. Just backwater alley towns, who are totally delusional about an Olympic bid.

Minneapolis, Pittsburgh & Denver are 3rd-tier.

Houston is definitely 2nd-tier, but at the moment, not even that is gonna cut it. Maybe in another 20-30 years, Houston might grow enough by then to maybe give it a shot.

I agree with you FYI - I was confused on what the OP was defining as 2nd tier cities in the USA - certainly think that Houston and Boston are 2nd tier but Tulsa and Birmingham, NO NO.

And out of curiosity, which US cities would you all define as 1st tier and 2nd tier?

In my opinion:

1st tier- NYC, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Chicago

2nd tier - Washington DC, Miami, Boston, Houston, Dallas, Seattle, and Atlanta

In my opinion LA should only be a consideration if the U.S. bidders list is too weak - (e.g. only Minneapolis, Tulsa and Birmingham put forth bids).

Sure, Miami would be cool (I mean hot), but I think there are better cities that can host. Plus, I would be too concerned about the unpredictability of a hurricane thwarting the Games.

A hurricane could threaten any U.S. coastal city, really. From Houston, to Tampa, to DC, & even NYC. A major hurricane did hit Long Island in the past. And with global climate change, who knows exactly what could be in store. But really, natural disasters could threaten any global city that could host an Olympics. Earthquakes could hit Los Angeles, Tokyo & Rome. Tsunamis could hit Cape Town, Sydney & Rio. The list could go on & on with natural disasters & cities that could be hit by them, so using that as a deterent of cities that couldn't host the Olympics, there'd actually be no city in the world being able to host then.

I dont think the USOC has made an indication on whether or not they will bid for 2020, so I think the speculation is appropriate. The more I read about a potential Denver 2020 Olympic Bid, the more I think they might have a shot at hosting an olympics (winter, or summer) at some point, much more so that other potential hosts.

Denver is mainly looking at a Winter Olympics, & now they have to look at it for 2022, since the USOC didn't put forth a candidate for the 2018 Winter Olympics, as they said they weren't to. And before the 2016 vote, the USOC had said that "win or lose", that Chicago was their main focus & they were not going to contemplate any other bids.

Have you not being reading all the articles that are out there after the U.S. lost out on 2016? Right now, there's a rift between the IOC & the USOC & that is a very critical relationship that must be repaired first before ANY U.S. bid could be successful. The USOC is most likely still reeling over the loss just 2-1/2 weeks ago. They still need to get through the process of reorganizing & start to heal wounds with the IOC before the USOC can even start talking about another bid, let alone launching one.

Very interesting discussion. I actually think that seattle would be a stunning backdrop for the Olympics

/\ Hmmmm.

Over Minneapolis' dead body. According to wiki...:

Researchers at Central Connecticut State University ranked Seattle the most literate city of America's sixty-nine largest cities in 2005 and 2006, second most literate in 2007 (after Minneapolis),[17] and tied with Minneapolis in 2008.

Well again, Denver is mainly interested in the Winter Olympics (the Summer Olympics are beyond their scope now), but they're just gonna have to wait 'til the USOC gives the "green light", which isn't anytime soon.

http://www.gamesbids.com/eng/winter_olympi...1216134749.html

And geez, the USOC is in no hurry to get back on the saddle after being tossed off it, fiercely, twice in a row. It's like anything else in life after extreme disappointment. The next time around, one is going to be extremely cautious & scrupulous when trying to undertake & win a very serious & non frivolous endeavor. It's not like the Olympics is like the Superbowl, where there's a winner every single year.

After two multi-million dollar turn-downs of EXCELLENT bids, how else would you feel? These are 4-5 year efforts to mount. Denver had its chance in 1976.

Completely agreed. The US is a rich country, and folks seem to believe that because most of the tens of millions of dollars for a bid come from corporate donations, we can throw money at a Games Bid every four years. Well, sure, we probably can, but we're a rich country precisely because we mostly know when to cut our losses.

Some cities, like San Francisco, see the Games as a prestige symbol or something to feed a mayor's ego, and will throw money at it over and over. Other cities, like Chicago, wait till they are ready, give it a tremendous shot - and let's be honest, the Chicago bid was amazing, except for Ryan and Daley's presentation - and then move on. Chicagoans are not going to throw money at this again this generation. It's going to take a whole new generation of business and political leaders in Chicago before they think about this again. The earliest that I believe Chicago will think about trying again will be around 2036 or 2040.

The IOC embarrassed Chicago with the 1904 fiasco, and they embarrassed Chicago with the vote for 2016. I just don't see it happening again any time soon.

Now, Denver. Really, I'm amazed that folks think Denver has a shot, even at the winter Olympics. After 1976, I cannot see the IOC considering Denver again for the next 100 years.

Archived