How Many Medals Will Canada Win?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Canada should win approximately forty medals, maybe 35 or 45. I think that they will capture between 14 and 18 gold medals. I think Canada could win medals in the following events :

Hockey - Canada won't get the gold on the men's side according to me. Russia is my favourite, while Sweden, Finland, Canada and the US should battle for silver and bronze. On the women's side, I think we will get the gold.

Prediction : 2 medals, 1 gold

Curling - Canada has to redeem his fourth-place finish at the last World's Championships on the women's side. I'm going with Canada for gold, China for silver and Switzerland for bronze. Anette Norberg, from Sweden, the reigning Olympic champion, finished fifth this year at the Europeans. On the men's side, I think Swedes and Norwegians will be strong. Great Britain, China and Switzerland will also be to watch. Of course, Canada's Kevin Martin team will do everything to get the gold and forget his silver medal at the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake.

Prediction : 2 medals, 1 gold

Figure Skating : Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir are currently seen by many as the favourites for the Vancouver Olympic Games even though they never won a big title. Americans Meryl Davis and Charlie White are expected to be their main opponents. Isabelle Delobel and Olivier Schoenfelder could also be to watch, but there is doubt concerning the skating of Delobel currently. Concerning Oksana Domnina and Maxim Shabalin, even the very inflated score they got in the Free Dance at the Russian Nationals do not beat the scores Virtue and Scott and Davis and White got this season on the ISU circuit, as Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto seem to have been caught by their teamates Davis and White. On the men's side, if Patrick Chan is in shape, he will battle with Evgeni Plushenko (Russia), Stephane Lambiel (Switzerland), Evan Lysacek and Jeremy Abbott (United States), Nobunari Oda and Daisuke Takahashi (Japan) for gold. In the women's competition, Joannie Rochette is a big contender. She is the word-silver medallist. However, she got difficulties this season. If she performs well in Vancouver, she will be on the podium. Only Yu-Na Kim (South Korea) is superior to her artistically presently. Finally, in couples, Jessica Dubé and Bryce Davison will probably not reach the podium. They lack consistency since they suffered from injuries. Chinese, German and Russian should dominate the event.

Prediction : 3 medals, 1 gold

Long-track Speedskating : Once again, this sould give Canada a lot of medals. The women's team is strong. Christine Nesbitt is the favourite on the 1000 meters, while Kristina Groves should join her on the podium for the 1500 meters, and maybe the 1000 meters. In a perfect day, Britanny Schussler could join them and they could sweep the podium. On the women's 3000 meters, a bronze medal won by Kristina Groves would be good, while Clara Hughes should struggle to defend her title on the 5000 meters. Bronze would be good. However, Canadiens are the huge favourites to win the women's pursuit. On the men's side, the men's team pursuit is the best threat for a medal as Jeremy Wotherspoon and Denny Morrison could get a medal at the 500, 1000 or 1500 meters.

Prediction : 7 medals, 3 gold

Short-track Speedskating : We can expect more medals than four years ago. Charles Hamelin, François Hamelin, François-Louis Tremblay and Olivier Jean all have the talent to reach the podium on individual distances and could get the gold medal in the relay event. C.Hamelin is contender for the three individual distances, Tremblay for the 500 meters, as well as Jean and F. Hamelin for the 1000 meters. On the women's side, Kalyna Roberge, Marianne Saint-Gelais and Jessica Gregg are all medal contenders in the 500 meters, while Roberge could also reach the podium on the 1000 meters or the 1500 meters. The relay is also good enough to be on the podium, maybe not for the gold however.

Prediction : 9 medals, 3 gold

Freestyle Skiing : Canada will be the country to beat in Vancouver. Alexandre Bilodeau and Vincent Marquis are contenders for the moguls title on the men's side, while Jen Heil and Kristy Richards are going for the gold medal in the women's side. In the new ski-cross event, Ashley McIvor, the defending World champion, will be hard to beat on her home-soil. Julia Murray could also be on the podium. On the men's side, one Canadian should be on the podium, but results are very inconsistent this season and it is very difficult to predict who will be the one. Finally, Steve Omischl will be among the favourites in the aerials event on the men's side, while Veronika Bauer will be the best chance for a medal on the women's side. Will be a big surprise tough ...

Prediction : 6 medals, 3 gold

Snowboarding : Canada will maybe send his stronger team ever in Vancouver. Jasey Jay Anderson and Matthew Morrison should both be on the podium in the parallel giant slalom, while Alexa Loo and Kimiko Zakreski could also be on the women's side. In the snowboardcross events, Maelle Ricker and Dominique Maltais could win the gold on the women's side, while Rob Fagan is expected for the podium on the men's side. In the halfpipe events, a medal will be a big surprise even though Jeff Batchelor was second at the last year World's Championships. The best Americains were absent from this competition.

Prediction : 6 medals, 2 gold

Alpine Skiing : Canada will have to deal with injuries. Medal contenders Kelly Vanderbeek and John Kucera are out of the Games. Manuel Osborne-Paradis won a super-G and a downhill this season. Skiing at home could be a huge advantage. Robbie Dixon could also get a medal. Emily Brydon and Britt Janyk could get a medal in the downhill or the super-G. Michael Janyk is also a medal possibility in the men's slalom.

Prediction : 3 medals, 1 gold

Bobsleigh - Pierre Lueders and Jesse Lumsden could get a medal in the two-men competition, while Lyndon Rush has possibilities to get a medal in the four-men competition. The best hope for a medal is Kaillie Humphries in the two-women competition.

Prediction : 1 medal, no gold

Skeleton - Jon Montgomery and Jeff Pain won gold and bronze at the World Cup in Whistler last year. I think they will have a home-advantage. On the women's side, Melissa Hollingsworth is on fire, she will be the one to beat. Last weekend, Germans have been defeated by her on their home track.

Prediction : 3 medals, 2 gold

Cross-Country Skiing : If Canada won medals in the women's side in Salt Lake and Torino, this time the best hopes are on the men's side. Ivan Babikov, Alex Harvey and Devon Kershaw all could win a medal in individual events. However, Alex Harvey is the one to watch. He won the bronze at the last 50 classical kilometers on the World Cup in Trondheim (Norway) last wnter. Plus, Harvey and Kershaw finished third last year in Whistler in the Team Sprint event. The relay could also get a bronze medal in Vancouver.

Prediction : 3 medals, no gold

Luge - Alex Gough is the only hope for Canada. She already finished 4th in World Cups and maybe could manage to be the podium on her home-track.

Prediction : no medal

Biathlon - Zina Kocher finished 4th in a World Cup in December. If she does the same type of performance she delivered that day, she could medal at Vancouver. However, she will have a lot of opponents. Jean-Philippe Le Guellec already finished in the top-10 in World Cups but a medal will be a enormous surprise.

Prediction : no medal

Canada will not win any medal in Ski Jumping and Nordic Combined events.

I'm very confident that Canada will win more than 30 medals. History will definitely be made. First Olympic gold medal won on Canadian soil by a Canadian athlete and the highest medal count ever won at a Winter Olympics. Definitely bet on that.

Updated:

I did this for Torino so I will do it for Vancouver too.

1 - Poor, 2 - Marginal, 3 - Good, 4 - Probable, 5 - Likely

Day 2

Alpine Skiing - Men's Downhill - 3 (upgraded from 2.5)

Short Track SS - Men's 1500m - 4

Freestyle Skiing - Women's Moguls - 5 (Jennifer Heil) and 4 (Kristy Richards)

Day 3

Alpine Skiing - Women's Super Combined - 1

Speed Skating - Women's 3000m - 3.5 ( good but I wouldn't call it probable, not anymore)

Freestyle Skiing - Men's Moguls - 5, 4 and 3, this has been incredibly disappointing this year, I am still confident that Bilodeau will win a medal but the others have not been performing as well

Day 4

Cross Country Skiing - Women's 10km Sprint - 2

Snowboarding - Men's SBX - 3, this has been downgraded, no consistent performer

Speed Skating - Men's 500m - 2 (I just don't think Wortherspoon will do it), upgraded to 3

Day 5

Luge - Women's Singles - 1

Speed Skating - Women's 500m - 1 if no Canadian athlete breakout, 3 if it happens

Snowboarding - Women's SBX - 3 and 4, upgraded to 5 overall and a 5 and 4, the results this year have been excellent (2G, 1S, 3B)

Day 6

Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill - 2

Cross Country Skiing - Men's Individual Sprint - 1

Cross Country Skiing - Women's Individual Sprint - 2

Snowboarding - Men's Halfpip - 1

Speed Skating - Men's 1000m - 4 and 2

Short Track SS - Women's 500m - 4

Day 7

Speed Skating - Women's 1000m - 5 and 4 and 1 actually, I have high hopes for Brittany

Figure Skating - Men's Free - 3

Day 8

Alpine Skiing - Men's Super-G - 2

Cross-Country Skiing - Women's 15km Pursuit - 1 - Go Sara!

Skeleton - Men's Individual - 5 overable, 4 and 3 individually, downgraded to a 2, Pain and Montegomery have not be consistent or performing at all.

Skeleton - Women's Individual - 5, 2 and 1, Hollingsworth will medal, the other women are out of it.

Day 9

Speed Skating - Men's 1500m - 3

Short Track SS - Men's 1000m - 5 and 4

Short Track SS - Women's 1500m - 3

Day 10

Freestyle Skiing - Men's SCX - 5 (I would absolutely love Del Bosco winning gold, his story is so compelling and exemplifies the Olympic spirit)

Alpine Skiing - Men's Giant Slalom - 1

Bobsleigh - Men's 2-Man - 1, Rush finally won a two-man, but I am still unsure, maybe a 3, Lueders will be back.

Speed Skating - Women's 1500m - 5 and 4

Day 11

Cross Country Skiing - Men's Sprint Relay - 2

Cross Country Skiing - Women's Sprint Relay - 3

Figure Skating - Ice Dance - 5

Day 12

Freestyle Skiing - Women's SCX - 5, 3 different ladies have medaled, including 2 winning gold.

Day 13

Speed Skating - Ladies 5000m - 5

Bobsleigh - Women's 2-Woman - 4, upgraded to a 5 and now a potential double medal event, though the Germans and Americans will definately have something to say about this.

Short Track SS - Women's 3000m - 5

Freestyle Skiing - Women's Aerials - 1

Day 14

Ice Hockey - Women's - 6 - barring doping offense they will medal

Freestyle Skiing - Men's Aerials - 5, 4, 3 - lets get it together boys, 2 Olympics two disappointments, get're done. Well looks like more disappointment, the men have been terrible this year with China and Belarus dominating. So downgraded to a 1.

Figure Skating - Women's - 4 - I love Joanne Rochette, hopefully she can become Vancouver's Elizabeth Manley.

Day 15

Snowboarding - Women's PGS - 3, upgraded from 2

Curling - Women's - 5

Short Track SS - Men's 500m - 5 and 3 Oliver Jean is an interesting skater

Short Track SS - Ladies 1000m - 2

Short Track SS - Men's 5000m Relay - 5

Day 16

Snowboarding - Men's PGS - 5 and 3

Speed Skating - Women's Team Pursuit - 5

Speed Skating - Men's Team Pursuit - 3

Bobseligh - Men's Four-Man - 3

Curling - Men's - 5

Day 17

Ice Hockey - Men's - 5

I think Canada should break 30, but probably only just now.

My Official and Final Picks:

1. Alpine Skiing – Men’s Downhill – Manual Osborne Paradis – Bronze

2. Freestyle Skiing – Women’s Moguls – Jennifer Heil – Gold

3. Freestyle Skiing – Women’s Moguls – Kristi Richards – Bronze

4. Short Track Speed Skating – Men’s 1500m – Charles Hamelin – Bronze

5. Speed Skating – Women’s 3000m – Kristina Groves – Silver

6. Snowboarding – Women’s Snowboard Cross – Maelle Ricker – Gold

7. Snowboarding – Women’s Snowboard Cross – Dominique Maltais – Bronze

8. Speed Skating – Men’s 1000m – Denny Morrison – Silver

9. Short Track Speed Skating – Women’s 500m – Kalyna Roberge – Silver

10. Speed Skating – Women’s 1000m – Christine Nesbitt – Gold

11. Figure Skating – Men’s – Patrick Chan – Bronze

12. Skeleton – Women’s – Melissa Hollingsworth – Gold

13. Short Track Speed Skating – Men’s 1000m – Charles Hamelin – Bronze

14. Freestyle Skiing – Men’s Ski Cross – Chris del Bosco – Gold

15. Speed Skating – Women’s 1500m – Kristina Groves – Gold

16. Speed Skating – Women’s 1500m – Christine Nesbitt – Silver

17. Cross Country Skiing – Women’s Team Sprint – Sara Renner and Chandra Crawford - Bronze

18. Figure Skating – Ice Dance – Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir – Silver

19. Freestyle Skiing – Women’s Ski Cross – Ashleigh McIvor – Gold

20. Speed Skating – Women’s 5000m – Clara Hughes – Silver

21. Short Track Speed Skating – Women’s 3000m Relay – Bronze

22. Bobsleigh – Women’s 2-Woman – Kaillie Humphries and Heather Moyse – Silver

23. Ice Hockey – Women’s – Silver

24. Figure Skating – Women’s – Joannie Rochette – Bronze

25. Curling – Women’s – Cheryl Bernard – Bronze

26. Short Track Speed Skating – Men’s 500m – Charles Hamelin – Gold

27. Short Track Speed Skating – Men’s 500m – Francois Louis Trembly – Silver

28. Short Track Speed Skating – Men’s 5000m Relay – Gold

29. Curling – Men’s – Kevin Martin – Gold

30. Speed Skating – Men’s Team Pursuit – Denny Morrison et al – Silver

31. Speed Skating – Women’s Team Pursuit – Christine Nesbitt, Kristina Groves and… - Gold

32. Snowboardling – PSG – Jasey Jay Anderson – Gold

33. Bobsleigh – Men’s 4-Man – Lyndon Rush et al – Bronze

34. Ice Hockey - Men’s - Gold

These were picks I made then cut:

1. Freestyle Skiing – Men’s Moguls - Alexander Bilodeau – Bronze

2. Speed Skating – Men’s 500m – Jeremy Wortherspoon – Bronze

3. Alpine Skiing – Women’s Downhill – Emily Brydon – Silver

4. Short Track Speed Skating – Women’s 500m – Marianne St. Gelais – Bronze

5. Skeleton – Men’s – Jon Montegomery – Bronze

6. Speed Skating – Men’s 1500m – Denny Morrison – Silver

7. Bobsleigh – Men’s 2-Man – Lyndon Rush and Laecelles Brown – Bronze

8. Speed Skating – Women’s 1500m – Cindy Klassen – Bronze

13 Gold, 10 Silver and 11 Bronze, I think the vast majority of Canadians would be suitably happy with this as our results.

My Official and Final Picks:

1. Alpine Skiing – Men’s Downhill – Manual Osborne Paradis – Bronze

2. Freestyle Skiing – Women’s Moguls – Jennifer Heil – Gold

3. Freestyle Skiing – Women’s Moguls – Kristi Richards – Bronze

4. Short Track Speed Skating – Men’s 1500m – Charles Hamelin – Bronze

5. Speed Skating – Women’s 3000m – Kristina Groves – Silver

6. Snowboarding – Women’s Snowboard Cross – Maelle Ricker – Gold

7. Snowboarding – Women’s Snowboard Cross – Dominique Maltais – Bronze

8. Speed Skating – Men’s 1000m – Denny Morrison – Silver

9. Short Track Speed Skating – Women’s 500m – Kalyna Roberge – Silver

10. Speed Skating – Women’s 1000m – Christine Nesbitt – Gold

11. Figure Skating – Men’s – Patrick Chan – Bronze

12. Skeleton – Women’s – Melissa Hollingsworth – Gold

13. Short Track Speed Skating – Men’s 1000m – Charles Hamelin – Bronze

14. Freestyle Skiing – Men’s Ski Cross – Chris del Bosco – Gold

15. Speed Skating – Women’s 1500m – Kristina Groves – Gold

16. Speed Skating – Women’s 1500m – Christine Nesbitt – Silver

17. Cross Country Skiing – Women’s Team Sprint – Sara Renner and Chandra Crawford - Bronze

18. Figure Skating – Ice Dance – Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir – Silver

19. Freestyle Skiing – Women’s Ski Cross – Ashleigh McIvor – Gold

20. Speed Skating – Women’s 5000m – Clara Hughes – Silver

21. Short Track Speed Skating – Women’s 3000m Relay – Bronze

22. Bobsleigh – Women’s 2-Woman – Kaillie Humphries and Heather Moyse – Silver

23. Ice Hockey – Women’s – Silver

24. Figure Skating – Women’s – Joannie Rochette – Bronze

25. Curling – Women’s – Cheryl Bernard – Bronze

26. Short Track Speed Skating – Men’s 500m – Charles Hamelin – Gold

27. Short Track Speed Skating – Men’s 500m – Francois Louis Trembly – Silver

28. Short Track Speed Skating – Men’s 5000m Relay – Gold

29. Curling – Men’s – Kevin Martin – Gold

30. Speed Skating – Men’s Team Pursuit – Denny Morrison et al – Silver

31. Speed Skating – Women’s Team Pursuit – Christine Nesbitt, Kristina Groves and… - Gold

32. Snowboardling – PSG – Jasey Jay Anderson – Gold

33. Bobsleigh – Men’s 4-Man – Lyndon Rush et al – Bronze

34. Ice Hockey - Men’s - Gold

13 Gold, 10 Silver and 11 Bronze, I think the vast majority of Canadians would be suitably happy with this as our results.

If your predictions are good

I will see 10 medals for Canada (5 Gold, 4 Silver and 1 Bronze)

That will beat my total of 9 in Beijing (including 2 Gold)

Alpine Skiing 2 Medals (1 Gold, 1 Bronze)

Men's Downhill - 1 Gold - Manuel Osbourne-Paradis

Ladies Downhill - 1 Bronze - Emily Brydon

Bobsleigh 1 Medal (1 Bronze)

Two-Women Bronze - Kaillie Humphries & Heather Moyse

Biathlon - 0 Medals

Cross-Country Skiing 1 Medal (1 Bronze)

Women's Team Sprint Free - Bronze - Chandra Crawford & Sara Renner

Curling - 2 Medals (1 Gold, 1 Silver)

Mens - 1 Gold

Womens - 1 Silver

Figure Skating 3 Medals (2 Silver, 1 Bronze)

Men’s - Bronze - Patrick Chan

Ladies - Silver - Joannie Rochette

Ice Dancing - Silver - Tessa Virtue/Scott Moir

Freestyle Skiing 5 Medals (3 Gold, 2 Silver)

Men's Moguls - Silver - Alexander Bilodeau

Men's Ski Cross - Gold - Chris del Bosco

Women’s Moguls - 1 Gold - Kristi Richards

1 Silver - Jennifer Heil

Women's Ski Cross 1 Gold - Ashleigh McIvor

Hockey - 2 Medals (1 Gold, 1 Silver)

Men's - Silver

Women's - Gold

Luge - 0 Medals

Nordic Combined - 0 Medals

Short Track - 7 Medals (2 Gold, 3 Silver, 2 Bronze)

Men’s 500m - 1 Gold - Charles Hamelin

1 Silver - Francois-Louis Tremblay

Men's 1,000m - 1 Bronze - Charles Hamelin

Men's 1,500m - 1 Silver - Charles Hamelin

Men's 5,000m Relay - 1 Gold

Women’s 500m - 1 Silver - Kalyna Roberge

Womens' 3,000m Relay - Bronze

Skeleton 3 medals (1 Gold, 1 Silver, 1 Bronze)

Men’s - 1 Silver - Jeff Pain

1 Bronze - Jon Montgomery

Women’s - 1 Gold - Melissa Hollingsworth

Ski Jumping - 0 medals

Snowboarding 4 medals (2 Gold, 1 Silver, 1 Bronze)

Men’s Parallel Giant Slalom - 1 Gold - Jasey Jay Anderson

Men's Snowboard Cross - 1 Silver - Robert Fagan

Women’s Snowboard Cross - 1 Gold - Maelle Ricker

1 Bronze - Dominique Maltais

Speed Skating 11 Medals (4 Gold, 5 Silver, 2 Bronze)

Men’s 1,000m - 1 Silver - Denny Morrison

Men's 1,500m - 1 Silver - Denny Morrison

Men's Team Pursuit - 1 Silver

Women’s 1,000m - 1 Gold - Christine Nesbitt

1,500m - 1 Gold - Kristina Groves

1 Silver - Cindy Klassen

1 Bronze - Christine Nesbitt

3,000m - 1 Gold - Kristina Groves

1 Bronze - Cindy Klassen

5,000m - 1 Silver - Clara Hughes

Team Pursuit - 1 Gold

I have us pegged for 41 medals. 15 Gold, 16 Silver, 10 Bronze

If those predictions correct (from Dave),

It's 12 medals I will see (6 Gold, 3 Silver, 3 Bronze), including the first 1-2-3 in the history for Canada (at the Women 1500m Speed Skating)

Edited by Chateau Petrus

The record for gold's is 13 (Norway in 2002) and for total medals is 36 (Germany in 2002), I just don't think Canada will be able to challenge either.

Canada won 7-10-7 in Torino after winning 7-3-7 in Salt Lake City (kinda weird that all improvements were in silver). I just can't see a jump of more then 10 medals. I think by natural improvement we would finish with between 27 and 31 medals, but because of home field 28 to 34 is about as best as I see it.

Some of the major medal threats we had coming into this season have not gone well, Steve Omischl and Warren Shouldice have not performed well, no medals in like 5 world cup events after Omischl was the overall winner for like 3 seasons in a row and Alexandre Blideau and Vincent Marquis have not been good performers either, a medal a piece in the world cups. Not nearly consistent enough to be anything but an outside medal hope. Then there is someone like Pierre-Alexandre Rousseau who has had an entire year of poor performances and only marginal performances the year before after winning the moguls world championships. Then there is Denny Morrison, a world champion (and 6 time world medalist) but after a 10 medal season in 2008-2009 has only won 3 medals this season. Hopefully his history of medaling at the world championships means that he will be a triple medalist in Vancouver, being a hometown boy and all, but the results aren't promising. Now there is Jeremy Wortherspoon, a year off and the results are just not there, I have no delusions that he will medal, if he does its great but he is certainly an outsider to the Japanese and Koreans in the 500m. Also there is Klassen coming back from injury, she could easily win 3 medals if she is on her best game but I just don't see her being ready now to be there come February. In men's skeleton, a year ago it would have been unthinkable for a Canadian to not medal, but Montgomery and Pain have not performed well, except at Cesana, a result that was paired with the year before, though that one did come at Whistler. Crawford and Renner have been no where on the world cup season so it is a bit of a stretch to pick them as a medalist but still, they have a history of performing on home soil. But again cross country was a key medal event for Canada to get the overall 1st place, but it looks like Canada will be shut out. Bobsleigh and Luerders have not been convincing and we don't know if Rush is ready to be Canada's #1 in both the 2 and 4-man. Our snowboard cross team on the men's side hasn't been doing well either. Boivin is probably the best bet for a medal though. And even though some of the men's halfpipers have good international results they were mostly in the absence of the major American men so thinking Canada will medal there is wishful thinking. And Kucera going done has done no favours for Canada's alpine chances, another important place to pick up 1 or 2 medals.

Edited by Faster

Most of the people you mentioned I didn't even predict to medal.

I think Alexandre Bilodeaux will pick it up again. He is Gold medal threat. I have him winning Silver in Vancouver. I would have predicted Gold for him but he has been inconsistent as of late but he'll be on home soil and Silver just seemed suiting in his situation.

I don't know how anyone cannot think that Jennifer Heil will be the likely Canada's first gold medalist on home soil. She has know won 4 straight world cup races. Unless Paradis or Hamelin come up hugh, Heil will be a Canadian Sporting Hero with few equals.

I don't know how anyone cannot think that Jennifer Heil will be the likely Canada's first gold medalist on home soil. She has know won 4 straight world cup races. Unless Paradis or Hamelin come up hugh, Heil will be a Canadian Sporting Hero with few equals.

I have a feeling Kristi Richards may surprise. Heil would be the automatic favourite but I decided to take a chance with Richards. Either way, I see both Heil and Richards medaling for Canada in Women's Moguls.

Yeah, it's very likely the Canadian Women will sweep the 1500m. They're all very strong in this event.

It´s hard to predict, because there havent been any races lately, but I dont agree with that.

Canada should be lucky to get one medal here. My money is on Ireen Wüst and I am hoping for Anna-Christina Friesinger-Postma of course.

It´s hard to predict, because there havent been any races lately, but I dont agree with that.

Canada should be lucky to get one medal here. My money is on Ireen Wüst and I am hoping for Anna-Christina Friesinger-Postma of course.

Current 2009/10 World Cup Standings

1.Kristina Groves (CANADA) 410 Points

2.Christine Nesbitt (CANADA) 360

3.Irene Wust (NETHERLANDS) 257

4.Martina Sáblíková (CZECH REPUBLIC) 228

5.Brittany Schussler (CANADA) 191

So you still think that Canada will be very lucky to medal in this event. Hmmmm.

Kristina Groves has won 2 Golds, 1 Silver and 1 Bronze this 2009/10 World Cup Season, while Christine Nesbitt has won 2 Golds, 2 Silver this season as well.

Irene Wust is definitely a threat with 1 Gold and 1 Silver won this season.

Anni Friesinger hasn't even reached the podium this season.

Kristina Groves also won the overall World Cup Title for last season 2008/09. So for you to say that Canada will be very lucky to even medal in the 1500m is pretty retarded.

Final 2008/09 World Cup Standings

1.Kristina Groves (CANADA) 526 Points

2.Daniela Anschütz (GERMANY) 355

3.Christine Nesbitt (CANADA) 335

4.Brittany Schussler (CANADA) 328

5.Shannon Rempel (CANADA) 253

Freisinger and Wurst are medal threats but to say Canada would be lucky to get a medal in that event is exaggerating it. If Klassen is skating well, Canada will have 3 legitimate skaters that could medal, will all three medal, unlikely but two is a definite possibility.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at Canada's medals prospects, you should easily defeat the United States for the most medals, it won't even be close. The only obstacle should be Germany, which should win at least 20 medals in Biathlon and the sliding sports combined.

As an American, I thought I would add to this thread and provide input on what to expect from the U.S... Here's a breakdown of high U.S. medal prospects:

Alpine Skiing: 3-4 (womens downhill, womens Super G, mens Slalom or womens Combined)

Biathlon: 0

Bobsled: 2 (4-man, 2-woman)

Curling: 0

Cross Country Skiing: 0

Figure Skating: 3 (mens & ice dancing, 2 medals possible in one discipline)

Freestyle Skiing: 2 (womens moguls, mens skicross)

Ice Hockey: 1 (womens)

Luge: 0

Nordic Combined: 2 (team & either large hill or normal hill competitions)

Short Track Speedskating: 4 (mens 1000m, mens 1500, mens relay, womens 1500m)

Snowboarding: 7 (4 halfpipe medals, 3 snowboardcross medals)

Speedskating: 4 (mens 1000m, 2 x mens 1500m, and either mens 500m or team pursuit. womens team is extremely weak)

Skeleton: 0

Ski Jumping: 0

I project the U.S. to win 25 medals, matching our performance in Torino. While it will be nowhere near where Canada and Germany will land in the medal standings, we've drastically improved from 13 or less medal performaces before Salt Lake.

-

Hey folks,

I've been looking at this year's world cup season in all Olympic disciplines (as far as there is a seperate world cup for each discipline. If the actual world cup scores would be the medal results of Vancouver, this would be the actual medal table. Note that I couldn't find any results in figure skating, curling or ice hockey as there is no world cup ... so I decided to add the last world championship results in every discipline without world cup, knowing that those results might not represent the actual strenght of athletes or teams. But anyway ... so here it is:

1. Germany - 11G, 12S, 15B

2. Canada - 9G, 11S, 8B

3. United States - 9G, 5S, 7B

4. Norway - 8G, 6S, 1B

5. Austria - 7G, 9S, 7B

6. China - 6G, 7S, 6B

7. Korea - 5G, 4S, 4B

8. Switzerland - 5G, 2S, 4B

9. Russia - 4G, 6S, 7B

10. Netherlands - 4G, 3S, 1B

(...)

So actually it looks preety good for the Canadian host, though I doubt they will beat us Germans ... looks like we're gonna stay in the top position once more, but I will cheer for Canada to make the battle for the first rank as intense as possible. Go, Canada go !