No Bid From Harbin

According to another local news China will turn their support to Pyeongchang, Korea.

Which local news ? I've never heard.

What I‘ve known is the citizens of Harbin are angry with China Sports Ministry and will make a major demonstration next week.

China won't support Pyeongchang as the minister Liu Peng has promised Harbin to bid 2022 if PC lose again.

I saw this coming months ago, and knew the decision to bid for 2018 wasn't going to be Harbin's call to make. I think the Chinese (as Beijing--Central Sports Ministry) are playing smart strategy here, as they knew that chances for (anywhere in China) winning 2018 were slim and none, for a variety of reasons. Though this obviously isn't going down well in Harbin. Also, the Ministry would want to get better positioned for a future, stronger bid, maybe 2022. I do not believe the Chinese will support a Pyeongchang effort, and will throw support to one of the European candidates instead for 2018..along with as many of their small-country IOC minions as possible.

I would also not be surprised if, over the next 5-8 years, there is a big push on training Chinese athletes in selected winter sports (beyond the current pairs figure skating, speed skating, and curling) similar to what was done in summer sports over the last 10years. And in "educating" and developing options for winter sports appreciation and participation among the Chinese public outside of Heilongjiang and Jilin provinces. This is currently a missing ingredient.

I saw this coming months ago, and knew the decision to bid for 2018 wasn't going to be Harbin's call to make. I think the Chinese (as Beijing--Central Sports Ministry) are playing smart strategy here, as they knew that chances for (anywhere in China) winning 2018 were slim and none, for a variety of reasons. Though this obviously isn't going down well in Harbin. Also, the Ministry would want to get better positioned for a future, stronger bid, maybe 2022. I do not believe the Chinese will support a Pyeongchang effort, and will throw support to one of the European candidates instead for 2018..along with as many of their small-country IOC minions as possible.

What we don't understand is that why the Ministry doesn't give us a chance to bid ? PyeongChang have bid 3 times. If Harbin bid with PyeongChang from the beginning, we would have already also bid 3 times ~~

Today I heard that Harbin will bid 2016 Youth Winter Games :blink: ... China Sport Ministry is sooooo addlepated !!! Harbin is a city that should bid for Winter Games, not Youth Winter Games !! sigh.... I think PyeongChang is equal to Youth Winter Games.

But the problem is if Harbin wins 2016, it will never be able to host 2022, which will be possible for Harbin, if it could wait just 5 years with preparing.

I think it's strategicly wrong if Harbin applies for 2016.

That's true......no one could know what China Sports Ministry and Liu Peng are thinking...

"They gave many reasons including the overwhelming advantages of other candidate cities and Harbin's not-so-good infrastructure," said the official who declined to be named.

2016 be not a good chance for Harbin...or China Sports Ministry dont wanna Winter Olympic at all in these 20 years.

But the problem is if Harbin wins 2016, it will never be able to host 2022, which will be possible for Harbin, if it could wait just 5 years with preparing.

I think it's strategicly wrong if Harbin applies for 2016.

Yeah. I agree with you absolutely. It's very foolish if Harbin turn to bid 2016 Youth Winter Games. The Ministry are going on a wrong way. Hope Harbin doesn't apply for 2016, or doesn't win 2016 ......

Archived