Vancouver 2010 Flame Lighting Ceremony

olympian

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like that torch -- it's so elegant. The only bad thing is that on white, you immediately see the black soot.
i wonder if we'll see the same soot in the paralympic torch since it silver-gray

CTV did a better job. The Olympic website was horrible to many problem.

Yes strange, as IOC had a great live feed during all the session and congress in Copenhagen...

It was spotty and choppy coverage, but Olympia isn't as well equipped as Copenhagen and many of the cameras today were mobile, hand held units feeding to a satellite. Can't really expect the same quality you'd find in a modern conference centre.

Who is the woman in the white clothes?

She's Angela Gerekou, vice minister of culture and tourism.

If you're interested I can upload the ceremony from the beggining.

OK...major differences from last year's (summer) version:

- they added the little girl/big sister (I don't know if that meant she's Miss Winter Games)

- NO dance pantomime by 6 young lads who mimed the five ancient sports on the same hillside where the priestesses gamboled, before the priestly party came out.

(I think a few of the priestesses could've mimed a double salchow or a death spiral right there on the hillside.)

- and Vassilis whatisname runs to the far end of the stadium where great-granpappy's heart is...for Vassilis to pay homage...

Also, no armpit hair for the priestesses!! I guess they shipped those off to the Opening Ceremony where whatistheirname? Nana's Hairy Armpits are expected to play? :blink:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Probably got pissed that they had to changes (Winter) things for Vancouver. Who do they think they are -- the Americans?? :lol: :lol;

BTW, I can see why VANOC asked for the change...and I think this'll set the new trend for the Winter lightings. Great-grandpappy's memorial is waaaayyyy over on the other end of the stadium ground...so from the Lighting/temples area would've been at least 3/4trs of a mile from the Temples area. (It's hard to find the BdeC memorial on maps becaue it's outside the Temple grounds and the stadium.)

Probably got pissed that they had to changes (Winter) things for Vancouver. Who do they think they are -- the Americans?? :lol: :lol;

BTW, I can see why VANOC asked for the change...and I think this'll set the new trend for the Winter lightings. Great-grandpappy's memorial is waaaayyyy over on the other end of the stadium ground...so from the Lighting/temples area would've been at least 3/4trs of a mile from the Temples area. (It's hard to find the BdeC memorial on maps becaue it's outside the Temple grounds and the stadium.)

You didn't know that before? :huh:

I think it's more after the forest fires around Olympiad there are hardly any trees left at the Pierre de Coubertin grove so it looks not very beautiful anymore there.