Which Should Be The Next Host Cities From Each Continent After 2016?

cslopes54

David, why are u trying to ram Minneapolis in the front ranks of possible Olympic host cities?

I'm sure it's a nice clean-cut medium-sized city but it just doesn't rank as an Alpha City which the serious Summer candidates are. C'mon, u got more savvy than that.

Go for a Youth Olympics Games. That's more MSP's speed.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jensen1981
David, why are u trying to ram Minneapolis in the front ranks of possible Olympic host cities?

I'm sure it's a nice clean-cut medium-sized city but it just doesn't rank as an Alpha City which the serious Summer candidates are. C'mon, u got more savvy than that.

I do agree on that aone. Same with the Sochi bid. I think they have absolutely NO chance. It's not an Alpha city at all!

Ooowhh, but hey, wait. Sochi WON the bid. They organize the 2014 Winter Olympics :huh:

Go screw yourself Myles. Believe it or don't, I don't go looking for every fight that comes my way here...some are brought by people like Roux. At that point, I'll gladly accept the challenge.

Now, have you managed to sell one copy of your book yet to someone other than your mom? :rolleyes:

Go screw yourself Myles. Believe it or don't, I don't go looking for every fight that comes my way here...some are brought by people like Roux. At that point, I'll gladly accept the challenge.

Now, have you managed to sell one copy of your book yet to someone other than your mom? :rolleyes:

It was quite a reasonable post actually. It seems like you're the one picking the fight.

I do agree on that aone. Same with the Sochi bid. I think they have absolutely NO chance. It's not an Alpha city at all!

Ooowhh, but hey, wait. Sochi WON the bid. They organize the 2014 Winter Olympics :huh:

Like Rob pointed out, the Winter Games are a whole different ball game, since the Winter version are only a 1/3 of the size of their Summer counterpart. And actually, if there were mountains nearby, Minneapolis could make a great case for the Winter Olympics. They're the right profile city for the Winter Games, like Salt Lake, Calgary, Turin & Vancouver. But unfortunately for them, the mountains aren't there for the Alpine events. And besides, Sochi is building everything from SCRATCH. So that surely had quite a bit of drooling power for those fastidious IOC fogies.

Perhaps you should follow these topics a little more closely so that you'd be better clued in on who's fighting with whom, and how each of those fights start. <_<

I am well aware of who you "fight" with.

My point was, his post that everything in his post was reasonable and sincere. It just seems you're trying to keep these so-called "fights" going.

I am well aware of who you "fight" with.

My point was, his post that everything in his post was reasonable and sincere. It just seems you're trying to keep these so-called "fights" going.

Kinda like how my posts are the only thing that has brought the Minneapolis thread to 58 pages... <_<

It was quite a reasonable post actually. It seems like you're the one picking the fight.

Why thank you! It's nice to see some people up for reasonable, relevant exchange of ideas. I was commenting on the existence of periphery in developed and semi-periphery countries. It was you davidm who decided to take a cheap shot at Atlanta.

• 2 weeks later...

Europe:

SOG - Istanbul

WOG - Östersund

Asia:

SOG - New Delhi or Dubai

WOG - Pyongchang

Africa:

SOG - Cape Town or Cairo

Americas:

SOG - New York or Buenos Aires

WOG - Santiago

Oceania:

SOG - Auckland

WOG - Christchurch

I think each of these cities have the pontential to become the next Olympic host cities and aslo new frontiers.

Europe:

SOG - Istanbul

WOG - Östersund

Asia:

SOG - New Delhi or Dubai

WOG - Pyongchang

Africa:

SOG - Cape Town or Cairo

Americas:

SOG - New York or Buenos Aires

WOG - Santiago

Oceania:

SOG - Auckland

WOG - Christchurch

I think each of these cities have the pontential to become the next Olympic host cities and aslo new frontiers.

Not bad choices, although I really doubt New York will bid again, and Istanbul has pretty stiff competition in Europe, but those are completely different, and lengthy, discussions.

Not bad choices, although I really doubt New York will bid again, and Istanbul has pretty stiff competition in Europe, but those are completely different, and lengthy, discussions.

I do believe that New Yoor for being an iconic city world wide, would be a great host and it's represent a lot for the IOC if they decide to award the USA again. About Istanbul, I don't think it could be rejected and soon or later they will get the games. After all, Istanbul is not Detroit. Historically, economically and politically is a region power city and practically the capital of one of the most important developping markets in the world. Together with South Korea, Spain, Mexico, Russia, China and now Brazil have demonstrated to be successful host and cooperated a lot with the Olympic Movement in 1968, 1980, 1988, 1992 and 2008. Let's wait for 2016. I don't doubt Turkey and South Africa would be able to organize great games representing Africa and the muslim world.

• 2 weeks later...

Europe: Paris (2024) and Amsterdam/Istanbul/Rome (2032/2040/2052)

Asia: Delhi/Kuala Lumpur (2044) {unclear to me}

Africa: Cape Town (2028)

Oceania: Auckland (2036)

North America: Chicago (2020) and New York (2048)

South America: Buenos Aires (2056)

[Happy Holidays, everyone]

• 4 weeks later...

It's almost scary how little support Sweden has. Sweden is one of the few bigger winter countries who hasn't host WOG yet. I think Östersund/Åre deserves a WOG soon after all our lost bids. :( How can anyone prefer Munich before Östersund/Åre? :angry:

It's almost scary how little support Sweden has. Sweden is one of the few bigger winter countries who hasn't host WOG yet. I think Östersund/Åre deserves a WOG soon after all our lost bids. :( How can anyone prefer Munich before Östersund/Åre? :angry:

But Ostersund/Are aren't bidding. Munich is.

You got to be in it to win it.

Here are my "two pence"/thoughts:

WINTER GAMES 2018

I will be very surprised, if not all three applicant cities are shortlisted, therewith the decision about the Winter Olympics 2018 next year will give us the answer if the IOC prefers Europe another time (Annecy (France) and Munich (Germany)) or if its go on with the global rotation and give them to Asia (Pyeongchang (Korea)). I believe the IOC esteems France and Germany as "returning bidder" and will prefer to give the Games to Pyeongchang (Korea), which might won't bid another time and furthermore the IOC would stick to the global rotation with this choice...

SUMMER GAMES 2020

After Asia was selected to host the Winter Olympics 2018 it is nearly futile for an Asian city to bid for this Summer Olympics, but maybe some Asian cities will try it nevertheless, due they want to get into a better position for a later more promising bid. Rio de Janeiro is too close therefore I believe that the decision about these Games will between Africa and Europe - but that doesn't mean that there won't be bids from North-America or Oceania, too. I think we will see bids from following cities: Cape Town (South Africa), Doha (Qatar), Istanbul (Turkey), Madrid (Spain), Moscow (Russia), Rome (Italy), Tokyo (Japan) and Toronto (Canada). I would like to see a bid from an US-city, but I think an US bid for Summer Games wouldn't be successful until the USOC has finished its "homework". I wonder if France or Germany would be able to place a bid after the 2018 decision for Asia - I would love to see bids from Berlin (Germany) and Paris (France). I believe the IOC will take the chance after a successful FIFA World Cup 2010 in South Africa to give Summer Olympics for the first time to Africa - the choice will be Cape Town (South Africa).

WINTER GAMES 2022

In my point of view this edition of Winter Olympics will be decided between Americas and Europe (for a New Zealand bid it might be too early). I believe we will see bids from Annecy (France), Denver (United States), Munich (Germany), Östersund (Sverige), Santiago de Chile (Chile) and Zaragoza (Spain). I believe the IOC is interested in smoothing the USA and it is Americas' turn in hosting Winter Games again - therefore I believe the IOC will give these Games to Denver (United States) (I am not a big fan of a Reno bid, since I esteem Reno as a kind of "Squaw Valley Part 2". Chile would be a great host, too, but I believe this time the IOC will give it to North America.

SUMMER GAMES 2024

I call this decision the "showdown of European megacities" - I believe that these Games will become a very interesting race between Amsterdam (Netherlands), Berlin (Germany), Istanbul (Turkey), Madrid (Spain), Moscow (Russia), Paris (France), Rome (Italy) and Stockholm (Sweden). There might be bids from Asian cities too again like Doha (Qatar), New Dehli (India), Tokyo (Japan), but I believe the IOC will select an European city - it is very difficult to say which one, but I would love to see them in Berlin (Germany) (and that is totally not unfeasable.)

WINTER GAMES 2026

It's Europes' turn - I think we will see bids from Annecy (France), Geneva (Switzerland), Östersund (Sverige), Sofia (Bulgaria), Zakopane (Poland) and Zaragoza (Spain) - and I hope we will see a new frontier bid from Christchurch (New Zealand). I believe the IOC will choose Östersund (Sweden), since it is time to give Winter Games to one of the most important Winter Sports Nations in the world.

SUMMER GAMES 2028

I think this edition will become a fight between Americas, Asia and Oceania - we will see bids from Auckland (New Zealand), Doha (Qatar), Istanbul (Turkey), Melbourne (Australia), New Dehli (India), Chicago (United States), Tokyo (Japan) and Toronto (Canada). After the "problems" with the CWG 2010 preparations are forgotten and India has become the next "China" in the meantime the IOC will give the Olympic Games to another new frontier: New Dehli (India).

WINTER GAMES 2030

Normally it is Asias' turn, but I believe the IOC will try to open the Winter Olympics to new frontiers - I think we will see bids from very interesting countries: Almaty (Kazahkstan), Christchurch (New Zealand), Harbin (Zhong-guo) and Santiago de Chile (Chile). Due New Zealand's Winter Sport industries developed over the years and that this thread is about which cities from each continent host first after 2016 I believe that the IOC will give these edition to Oceania: Christchurch (New Zealand) - altough Harbin would be a very interesting host for the IOC, too.

SUMMER GAMES 2032

This will become definitely an American race - I believe we will see bids from Chicago (United States), Havanna (Cuba), Santiago de Chile (Chile) and Toronto (Canada) - although Havana (after Castros death in the second decade of the new century Cuba has changed a lot) and Santiago de Chile (Chile decided not to bid for Winter Olympics only) are Chicago and Toronto the favourites and it is hard to say which city would win - I think the IOC will choose Toronto since Montreal is longer ago than Atlanta - therewith Toronto (Canada)

Due the fact that Summer Games in Oceania are missing only - I won't go into details anymore, but give my pick only:

WINTER GAMES 2034

Harbin (China)

SUMMER GAMES 2036

This time it will become a fight between Europe and Oceania - this time the IOC will give it to Melbourne (Australia)

AFRICA

SOG: Cape Town, South Africa

WOG: not capable

AMERICAS

SOG: Toronto, Canada

WOG: Denver, United States

ASIA

SOG: New Dehli, India

WOG: Pyeongchang, Korea

Harbin, China

EUROPE

SOG: Berlin, Germany

WOG: Östersund, Sweden

OCEANIA

SOG: Melbourne, Australia

WOG: Christchurch, New Zealand

Any comments about my thoughts?

Here are my "two pence"/thoughts:

WINTER GAMES 2018

I will be very surprised, if not all three applicant cities are shortlisted, therewith the decision about the Winter Olympics 2018 next year will give us the answer if the IOC prefers Europe another time (Annecy (France) and Munich (Germany)) or if its go on with the global rotation and give them to Asia (Pyeongchang (Korea)). I believe the IOC esteems France and Germany as "returning bidder" and will prefer to give the Games to Pyeongchang (Korea), which might won't bid another time and furthermore the IOC would stick to the global rotation with this choice...

SUMMER GAMES 2020

After Asia was selected to host the Winter Olympics 2018 it is nearly futile for an Asian city to bid for this Summer Olympics, but maybe some Asian cities will try it nevertheless, due they want to get into a better position for a later more promising bid. Rio de Janeiro is too close therefore I believe that the decision about these Games will between Africa and Europe - but that doesn't mean that there won't be bids from North-America or Oceania, too. I think we will see bids from following cities: Cape Town (South Africa), Doha (Qatar), Istanbul (Turkey), Madrid (Spain), Moscow (Russia), Rome (Italy), Tokyo (Japan) and Toronto (Canada). I would like to see a bid from an US-city, but I think an US bid for Summer Games wouldn't be successful until the USOC has finished its "homework". I wonder if France or Germany would be able to place a bid after the 2018 decision for Asia - I would love to see bids from Berlin (Germany) and Paris (France). I believe the IOC will take the chance after a successful FIFA World Cup 2010 in South Africa to give Summer Olympics for the first time to Africa - the choice will be Cape Town (South Africa).

WINTER GAMES 2022

In my point of view this edition of Winter Olympics will be decided between Americas and Europe (for a New Zealand bid it might be too early). I believe we will see bids from Annecy (France), Denver (United States), Munich (Germany), Östersund (Sverige), Santiago de Chile (Chile) and Zaragoza (Spain). I believe the IOC is interested in smoothing the USA and it is Americas' turn in hosting Winter Games again - therefore I believe the IOC will give these Games to Denver (United States) (I am not a big fan of a Reno bid, since I esteem Reno as a kind of "Squaw Valley Part 2". Chile would be a great host, too, but I believe this time the IOC will give it to North America.

SUMMER GAMES 2024

I call this decision the "showdown of European megacities" - I believe that these Games will become a very interesting race between Amsterdam (Netherlands), Berlin (Germany), Istanbul (Turkey), Madrid (Spain), Moscow (Russia), Paris (France), Rome (Italy) and Stockholm (Sweden). There might be bids from Asian cities too again like Doha (Qatar), New Dehli (India), Tokyo (Japan), but I believe the IOC will select an European city - it is very difficult to say which one, but I would love to see them in Berlin (Germany) (and that is totally not unfeasable.)

WINTER GAMES 2026

It's Europes' turn - I think we will see bids from Annecy (France), Geneva (Switzerland), Östersund (Sverige), Sofia (Bulgaria), Zakopane (Poland) and Zaragoza (Spain) - and I hope we will see a new frontier bid from Christchurch (New Zealand). I believe the IOC will choose Östersund (Sweden), since it is time to give Winter Games to one of the most important Winter Sports Nations in the world.

SUMMER GAMES 2028

I think this edition will become a fight between Americas, Asia and Oceania - we will see bids from Auckland (New Zealand), Doha (Qatar), Istanbul (Turkey), Melbourne (Australia), New Dehli (India), Chicago (United States), Tokyo (Japan) and Toronto (Canada). After the "problems" with the CWG 2010 preparations are forgotten and India has become the next "China" in the meantime the IOC will give the Olympic Games to another new frontier: New Dehli (India).

WINTER GAMES 2030

Normally it is Asias' turn, but I believe the IOC will try to open the Winter Olympics to new frontiers - I think we will see bids from very interesting countries: Almaty (Kazahkstan), Christchurch (New Zealand), Harbin (Zhong-guo) and Santiago de Chile (Chile). Due New Zealand's Winter Sport industries developed over the years and that this thread is about which cities from each continent host first after 2016 I believe that the IOC will give these edition to Oceania: Christchurch (New Zealand) - altough Harbin would be a very interesting host for the IOC, too.

SUMMER GAMES 2032

This will become definitely an American race - I believe we will see bids from Chicago (United States), Havanna (Cuba), Santiago de Chile (Chile) and Toronto (Canada) - although Havana (after Castros death in the second decade of the new century Cuba has changed a lot) and Santiago de Chile (Chile decided not to bid for Winter Olympics only) are Chicago and Toronto the favourites and it is hard to say which city would win - I think the IOC will choose Toronto since Montreal is longer ago than Atlanta - therewith Toronto (Canada)

Due the fact that Summer Games in Oceania are missing only - I won't go into details anymore, but give my pick only:

WINTER GAMES 2034

Harbin (China)

SUMMER GAMES 2036

This time it will become a fight between Europe and Oceania - this time the IOC will give it to Melbourne (Australia)

AFRICA

SOG: Cape Town, South Africa

WOG: not capable

AMERICAS

SOG: Toronto, Canada

WOG: Denver, United States

ASIA

SOG: New Dehli, India

WOG: Pyeongchang, Korea

Harbin, China

EUROPE

SOG: Berlin, Germany

WOG: Östersund, Sweden

OCEANIA

SOG: Melbourne, Australia

WOG: Christchurch, New Zealand

Any comments about my thoughts?

Good comments CAF. I think you're spot on at identifying the possible candidates, or at least the front runners.

Given the result of 2012, 2014 and 2016 I think its near on impossible to predict winners but I tend to agree with who you have outlined as the best hosts from each continent. No doubt most of those cities will be, but whether they win is another thing all together.

Although I agree Toronto would make a great host, I don't think there will be enough support for two bids within the next couple of decades. Auckland, while being a great city, knows they will be fighting an uphill battle and even by the 2020's will be under prepared. It will be hard to convince the people that bidding is a sensible move. After 2016, I think Chicago is another long shot; especially with so many other US cities in contention.

To me, 2024 is going to be a big European race. Rome, Amsterdam, Berlin, Madrid, Moscow are all likely bidders in my mind. It would be tough to decide which city to support among that pool. As far as Australia goes, I think a Melbourne bid in 2024 is plausible, and could play a similar role as Madrid in 2012. Going head to head against another Asian city would spell death for Melbourne, but being the lone non-European city in the 2024 race could provide it with a lot of support from European cities eliminated in early rounds.

Auckland should only bid after it has staged a successful Commonwealth Games. Ideally North Harbour stadium will be the choice if it still can (assuming there isn't significant upgrades that would prevent the laying of an athletics track), alternatively a new Athletics Stadium built for the Commonwealth Games, with a capacity of 40,000-50,000 could host, augmented to 60,000-70,000 for an Olympics.

After 2016, I think Chicago is another long shot; especially with so many other US cities in contention.

You mean cities like Tulsa, Birmingham, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh & Detroit? Hardly what I would call 'in contention'. None of these cities would be able to muster what would be even remotely compelling & exciting to the IOC, & especially Tulsa & Birmingham. Thus, *one* of the main reasons, I'm sure, why the USOC has pretty much thrown in the towel on 2020, & very seemingly contemplating a 2022 Winter run instead with either Denver or Reno.

You mean cities like Tulsa, Birmingham, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh & Detroit? Hardly what I would call 'in contention'. None of these cities would be able to muster what would be even remotely compelling & exciting to the IOC, & especially Tulsa & Birmingham. Thus, *one* of the main reasons, I'm sure, why the USOC has pretty much thrown in the towel on 2020, & very seemingly contemplating a 2022 Winter run instead with either Denver or Reno.

I wasn't pointing out that Chicago isn't a strong candidate (especially when considered against Minneapolis and Tulsa), but rather that the city probably won't bother with anything for a while; even though it had quite a strong bid in 2016.

As you pointed out the USOC is probably more likely to focus its attention on WOG's and should a SOG be on the agenda for them I think its been well identified that Los Angeles is the strongest US contender and that there are a number of other US cities on par with what Chicago can offer; many of which have made national bids during the 2016 and 2012 race.

WINTER GAMES 2018

Pyeongchang (Korea)

Completely agree with this. I think the IOC is not going to go to Europe for the WOG, the rationale being that if South Africa does not bid for 2020, the 2020 SOG can go to Europe

SUMMER GAMES 2020

Cape Town (South Africa).

If Cape Town bids. If they don't bid for 2020, then it is Europe's Games

WINTER GAMES 2022

Denver (United States) (I am not a big fan of a Reno bid, since I esteem Reno as a kind of "Squaw Valley Part 2"

- If 2018 goes to Asia, I cannot see the IOC going anywhere other than Europe for 2022. I think 2022 will be a great chance for a repeat bid from Munich

- However, if 2018 goes to Europe, then I agree that 2022 is could be a shoe-in for the US, but ONLY if they DON'T choose Denver. I just do not see the IOC (or even the USOC) forgiving Denver for 1976. At the moment the viable candidate in the US for a WOG is Reno/Tahoe (unless we see some kind of LA bid using Mountain High, etc, but I don't know if that is even possible). In the unlikely event that 2018 goes to Europe and the USOC tries to field Denver in 2022, the games will go to Asia for 2022.

SUMMER GAMES 2024

an European city - it is very difficult to say which one, but I would love to see them in Berlin (Germany) (and that is totally not unfeasable.)

That will be nice, but I believe they will reward Madrid first (based on Rogge's comments), or else consider Rome above Berlin.

SUMMER GAMES 2028

a fight between Americas, Asia and Oceania - we will see bids from Auckland (New Zealand), Doha (Qatar), Istanbul (Turkey), Melbourne (Australia), New Dehli (India), Chicago (United States), Tokyo (Japan) and Toronto (Canada). After the "problems" with the CWG 2010 preparations are forgotten and India has become the next "China" in the meantime the IOC will give the Olympic Games to another new frontier: New Dehli (India).

I can't see India getting a games for a long time, and there is zero chance that we will see another Chicago bid within the next few decades. If 2020/24 takes care of Western Europe and Africa, I see 2028 going to Tokyo. The IOC is unlikely to deny the second largest economy in the world a second games in 70 years.

SUMMER GAMES 2032

[therewith Toronto (Canada)

Yes! This will definitely be Toronto's year!

SUMMER GAMES 2036

I don't know about Australia. I think it will go back to Europe first, possibly Eastern Europe, or a Eurasian games in Istanbul.

Archived