Which Should Be The Next Host Cities From Each Continent After 2016?

cslopes54

EUR:

Bari - Summer

Zakopane - Winter

ASIA:

Timbucktu - Summer

Timbucktu Mini - Winter

N.A.

Tulsa - Summer

Bozeman - Winter

S.A.

Machu Picchu - Summer

Ushuaia - Winter

AFR:

Accra

AUS:

Alice Springs

:rolleyes:

agreed!

According to Dav If Minneapolis will host the nxt N.A. Games all these cities mentioned will fit great for their continents bid . :lol:

Does that make you and Boston feel superior now?

Hm not so sure I feel superior but I think boston is to Minne. Idk if Boston will ever get to host an olympics but ur city has less chanceS no doubt. that's just my own opinion

• 2 weeks later...

Delhi's not going to win 2020. Not even with a successful Commonwealth Games, 10 years (Well technically 7 years), is not enough to say construct the necessary venues needed for an Olympics, which would mainly be venues for specific sports like Rowing and the other water based sports, or say most indoor sports which would benefit from say a large indoor exhibition complex. does Delhi currently possess such a thing? Can it be expanded? Or would they rather want a "National sports complex" per say for such things?

2024 may be a long shot too, if Delhi is serious about an Olympics, a definite hosting of the Asian Games again is a must.

Guest Jensen1981
Delhi's not going to win 2020. Not even with a successful Commonwealth Games, 10 years (Well technically 7 years), is not enough to say construct the necessary venues needed for an Olympics, which would mainly be venues for specific sports like Rowing and the other water based sports, or say most indoor sports which would benefit from say a large indoor exhibition complex. does Delhi currently possess such a thing? Can it be expanded? Or would they rather want a "National sports complex" per say for such things?

2024 may be a long shot too, if Delhi is serious about an Olympics, a definite hosting of the Asian Games again is a must.

This is just plain bullocks. Rio basically has to build up everything from scratch. And the city itself has got one of the largest criminality rates in the world.

Still, the IOC choose for Rio, because they wanted to give Rio a chance. It's the same thing with Barcelona and Sochi. IOC isn't necessarily going for the 'best bid' with the best infrastructure and facilities. IOC choose -again- a novelty city; they wanted to give those cities a chance.

That's not true. The IOC isn't really getting a lot of new stuff with Rio. The IOC is NOT getting a new stadium out of the deal, they're not getting very many new venues, some yes, but not at the scale that Beijing, London & Sochi have/are doing. So saying Rio has to build everything from "scratch" is not accurate at all (maybe you're confusing that with Sochi). The IOC gave Rio a pass on a lot of things, but that doesn't necessarily translate into a new formula for every city that's out there wanting to bid.

Guest Jensen1981
That's not true. The IOC isn't really getting a lot of new stuff with Rio. The IOC is NOT getting a new stadium out of the deal, they're not getting very many new venues, some yes, but not at the scale that Beijing, London & Sochi have/are doing. So saying Rio has to build everything from "scratch" is not accurate at all (maybe you're confusing that with Sochi). The IOC gave Rio a pass on a lot of things, but that doesn't necessarily translate into a new formula for every city that's out there wanting to bid.

Well, for the same reason they could have opted for Chicago, Madrid or Tokyo, who were fiancially in a better position.....I mean, Brazil still is a poor country. Not to mention all the slums in Rio.

Off course they have a well-thought bidbook, but the IOC did go for Rio because it is on the southern continent and it wants to give Rio a chance to sort out many problems in the city. Therefore I call this a nice gesture from the IOC, just like they did with Sochi.

Granted, & I can see your point, & yes the IOC made a very nice gesture to both Sochi & Rio, but comparing Brazil & Russia to India is really apples & oranges. While granted, Rio & Brazil have their slums, but compared to India's far more deplorable conditions to their people is not very similiar.

India has a long way to go just to even catch up to Brazil's & Russia's economic standing today. And no one argues that Brazil's ecomony is only getting bigger. While India is growing as well, it still has far more discrepencies within their own society than Brazil & Russia to even contemplate an Olympic bid in the immediate short-term, when India's GDP is only a fraction of that of Brazil & Russia.

Off course they have a well-thought bidbook, but the IOC did go for Rio because it is on the southern continent and it wants to give Rio a chance to sort out many problems in the city. Therefore I call this a nice gesture from the IOC, just like they did with Sochi.

It's really not that simple though, and nor will it be that simple for Delhi should they bid in the future.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think India has no chance in the future. If the Commonwealth Games are good despite the problematic preparations, and if the bid is run professionally and gets its message spot on, India could win an Olympic bid in the near future.

But that's a lot to get right in a short space of time. Even cities on their second or third bid can get this wrong (or to put it more accuratly, their rivals can get it more right)

A lot of factors came together at the same time for Rio's victory, factors which mightn't be at work in the future for Delhi

• A European city was already hosting 2012 putting traditional European cities at a disadvantage - Europe will be right back in the picture in the 20s; talk of cities like Rome bidding is already happening, and Madrid could be very, very strong. And then places like Amsterdam have Olympic ambitions as you well know. Madrid finished second just four years after London was chosen! How much better could they do with geopolitics more in their favour?
  • Rio's PanAms were largely successful - whether the CWGs in 2010 are a success remains to be seen and we all know preparations have been problematic. This will be an issue for the IOC, though it mightn't be terminal if an Indian bid team can show they are putting processes place which will make Olympic preparations more smooth.
  • The race looked like it was going to the American continent from the start and the Rio bid was able to take advantage of frosty relations between the IOC and USOC to make sure it was them and not Chicago that got the nod - the 2020 race, at this very early stage, doesn't look like it'll definitely go to a particular continent and it's way too early to tell with regard to 2024/28. Besides which, even if a bid race does look like it's Asia's to lose, Tokyo has plans on getting an Olympics soon and that bid would be hard to beat.
  • The credit-crunch had put question-marks over private financing in other bids (particularly Chicago) - the West will be long out of recession and a fully publically financed bid from a developing nation mightn't look quite so attractive in the future.
  • Rio was able to play on strong connections within the IOC. - India will have to go some to lobby as well as Brazil did.
  • Rio is on a continent which hasn't hosted - India isn't. And if the 'new frontier' argument is to work to its full effect for Delhi, you'd better hope Cape Town doesn't bid in the same race, because they'll have the same arguement as Rio in their arsenal.
  • The preparations for London were going well and Beijing was a success - I think this is a factor which is important in many respects. I don't think the IOC would have been so willing to choose a relatively risky new frontier if they were having ongoing organisational problems with their current host cities. Who knows how different things could look for races Dehli is in?

AND FINALLY

• Rio almost "fluked" it onto the shortlist - They had the lowest technical score and were granted passage apparantly because of a technicality with Doha's bid. Could lightning strike twice in this regard? I don't know.

See how many hurdles India (or any bid for that matter) has to overcome? Rio's victory had a lot to do with novelty factor; but it also got a lot of other things right, and a lot of outside factors worked in its favour. Delhi could fall at the very first hurdle if the problematic preparations for their Games are evident in the hosting of them. To put it simply, if the CWGs are not a success, all of the above will be irrelevent anyway and Delhi won't have a chance for decades.

Edited by RobH

AND FINALLY

• Rio almost "fluked" it onto the shortlist - They had the lowest technical score and were granted passage apparantly because of a technicality with Doha's bid. Could lightning strike twice in this regard? I don't know.

That should've been the biggest clue right there that it was most likely going to Rio. Next time someone is able to put that neat trick, look out & everyone else should bow out.

.....I mean, Brazil still is a poor country. Not to mention all the slums in Rio.

No, It's not.

It has one of the worst distribution of the wealth in the Planet, but it cannot be considered poor by any stands.

It's in the middle of the way between poor and rich. According to the World Bank it's gross domestic product per capita, with the necessary purchasing power parity (PPP), is 10,296. Just below Serbia (11,457), Belarus (12,261) and Bulgaria (12,394) and above Macedonia (10,167), Bosnia (8,390), Ukraine (7,271) and China (5,962).

So are China, Macedonia and Serbia poor?

[*]Rio almost "fluked" it onto the shortlist - They had the lowest technical score and were granted passage apparantly because of a technicality with Doha's bid. Could lightning strike twice in this regard? I don't know.

First of all, for every shortlist, there is always a city that has to have the lowest score.

Second of all, there is no limit nor pre-determined number of candidate cities: it's a matter of benchmarking the applicant against a threshold. So Rio didn't take Doha's spot. Yes Doha scored higher than Rio BUT:

- Rio's score was above the threshold, and that is all needed to get shortlisted

- as clearly explained in the expert college report, the dates proposed by Doha were not taken into account into Doha score. So there is no dirty trick nor fluke involved: Doha was really eliminated because of the dates after consultation with the IFs.

The IOC can be blamed however, and rightly so, for not making it clear to Doha from day 1 that the proposed date was a no no.

"The IOC can be blamed however, and rightly so, for not making it clear to Doha from day 1 that the proposed dates were a no no."

Obviously more evidence that the move to strike them out, was more political than the apparent smokescreen of merely using the dates against Doha.

"The IOC can be blamed however, and rightly so, for not making it clear to Doha from day 1 that the proposed dates were a no no."

Obviously more evidence that the move to strike them out, was more political than the apparent smokescreen of merely using the dates against Doha.

Sounds to me like the IOC is scared of any bid out of the Middle East. Not sure if this has been discussed yet, but I'd say, after Rio, the next South American city to be in line for an Olympics is Buenos Aires. Granted that's probably a ways off.

Well, for the same reason they could have opted for Chicago, Madrid or Tokyo, who were fiancially in a better position.....I mean, Brazil still is a poor country. Not to mention all the slums in Rio.

But like China, their economy is growing. Parts of both countries may still be poor, but that's almost a given with countries so huge. Even here in the USA, there are some places with crappy living conditions such as the Deep South. As for the slums, well, the Rio organizers were smart enough to keep the games far away from those areas and in the wealthier areas with living conditions on par with western Europe.

But like China, their economy is growing. Parts of both countries may still be poor, but that's almost a given with countries so huge. Even here in the USA, there are some places with crappy living conditions such as the Deep South. As for the slums, well, the Rio organizers were smart enough to keep the games far away from those areas and in the wealthier areas with living conditions on par with western Europe.
Not really. Maracanã is within walking distance from one of Rio's most famous slums, Mangueira. And Cidade de Deus is not that far from the future site of the Olympic Park.