Which Should Be The Next Host Cities From Each Continent After 2016?

Has the same US city ever participated in consecutive bids? Seems, in some ways, counter-productive to push a different city each time?

Well, this questions seems to be like a catch-22. While it would seem the most logical way to go most of the time (where it seems the most consensus is, at least here, anyway), it doesn't always work out that the same bid city always wins. Paris is a prime example of a city that just couldn't get the Olympics on 3 different occassions. Could Pyeongchang follow suit? Ostersund is another one. Toronto has tried twice, & with no luck. The U.S. bid several times with Detroit back in the 50's & 60's with no success. And then of course you have Istanbul.

Then you have the other side of the coin, where the same country has put forward several bids, but with different cities each time. Australia tried on 3 consecutive occasions, but with different cities each time (Brisbane 1992 & Melbourne 1996), until the 3rd time was the charm with Sydney 2000. The U.K. tried several times too, with different cities (Birmingham 1992, Manchester 1996 & 2000), until their success with London 2012. So in hindsight, it doesn't look like bidding with the same city guarantees success necessarily. But it doesn't impede it either, as we have had repetitive successful bidders too, like Salt Lake City, Mexico City & now Rio. So again, a catch-22, to say the least. Guess it just all comes down to whatever the IOC is in the mood for on election day.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, Munich has made it pretty clear that they would bid again for 2022, if they lose 2018. Which is more than what could be said about the SOC, which their approach is more of a "wait & see" stra

Östersund isn't really located in a third world country...

I think it's more to a Mexican 2nd time than an Argentine first... Don't worry, Premium, you can vote this down again, this will not change my opinion about a subject I'm really closer than any Premi

Pyeongchang should get it.

They have every thing. It would follow a nice order NA, Europe, Asia.

I would like Munchen/Munich for Europe but I really don't see it happening.

Oh and Africa and Oceania can not host a Winter Olympics.

I'm thinking of the following SOG bids:

ASIA: Tokyo, New Delhi, Shanghai, Doha, and Dubai

EUROPE: Paris, Madrid, Rome, and Istanbul

NORTH AMERICA: Toronto, Los Angeles, and Boston

SOUTH AMERICA: Buenos Aires, andSantiago

AFRICA: Cape Town, Johannesburg, and Lagos

OCEANIA: Brisbane, Melbourne, and Auckland

:blink:

• 2 weeks later...
Well, this questions seems to be like a catch-22. While it would seem the most logical way to go most of the time (where it seems the most consensus is, at least here, anyway), it doesn't always work out that the same bid city always wins. Paris is a prime example of a city that just couldn't get the Olympics on 3 different occassions. Could Pyeongchang follow suit? Ostersund is another one. Toronto has tried twice, & with no luck. The U.S. bid several times with Detroit back in the 50's & 60's with no success. And then of course you have Istanbul.

Then you have the other side of the coin, where the same country has put forward several bids, but with different cities each time. Australia tried on 3 consecutive occasions, but with different cities each time (Brisbane 1992 & Melbourne 1996), until the 3rd time was the charm with Sydney 2000. The U.K. tried several times too, with different cities (Birmingham 1992, Manchester 1996 & 2000), until their success with London 2012. So in hindsight, it doesn't look like bidding with the same city guarantees success necessarily. But it doesn't impede it either, as we have had repetitive successful bidders too, like Salt Lake City, Mexico City & now Rio. So again, a catch-22, to say the least. Guess it just all comes down to whatever the IOC is in the mood for on election day.

Well, yes, good point indeed. I guess it was a completely erroneous assumption that pushing the same city every time would effect anything one way or the other.

But it seems such a misdirection of energy? I assume the grand total of the American Bid City Process is by far the most expensive of any bidding nation?

Oceania

• Brisbane… with Beijing's budget to fix the public transport and accommodation situation, maybe.

• Would Auckland be feasible? How's the weather?

I don't think weather would be too much of an issue for Auckland, climate wise it's a bit warmer than Melbourne over the winter months.

Would Auckland be a feasible host? No, not yet. The infrastructure just isn't there and I can't see the government justifying the exorbitant price tag that comes with the games anytime soon. Plus Auckland is still quite a smallish city (1.4 million) and NZ is still very under populated. But in saying that, Auckland is the fastest growing city in Australasia, I remember reading in a newspaper that the city is expected to be closing in on 2 million come 2020. Who knows? Anythings possible with time.

EUROPE

Summer

• Paris
  • Brussels
  • Istanbul (Europe/Asia)

Winter

• Munich
  • East Europe - maybe Krakow

ASIA

Summer

• Istanbul (Asia/Europe)
  • Kuala Lumpur

Winter

• PyeongChang
  • Almaty

NORTH AMERICA

Summer

• San Francisco
  • Toronto

Winter

• Reno - Tahoe
  • Quebec

SOUTH AMERICA

Summer

• Buenos Aires
  • Sao Paulo

Winter

• Santiago
  • Bariloche

OCEANIA

Summer

• Brisbane
  • Melbourne

Winter

• Queenstown
  • ?

AFRICA

Summer

• Cape Town
  • Cairo

Winter

• ?
  • ???

But it seems such a misdirection of energy? I assume the grand total of the American Bid City Process is by far the most expensive of any bidding nation?

Well, yes, it is expensive. But the bids are funded by private contributors in the city, not the government, so you don't get a taxpayer backlash on expensive, failing bids.

This leads into the three reasons that repeat bids in the US are uncommon:

1) The contributors to a bid like Chicago's, will not readily open their wallets for another attempt.

2) The populace doesn't like failure, and the media exploits failure. A survey of Chicago and New York today will likely find massive majority resistance from citizens to a another bid.

3) The bids take advantage of what's available at the time. For example. the Chicago bid depended heavily on the Michael Reese hospital for the village. Four years from now, that site will be gone, and there will not be many options for a good Olympic Village. This is the case with many of the major US cities - development is rapid and idle land is not idle for long. LA is an exception as they already have the facilities and simply reuse them.

Europe - summer

- Budapest

- Rome

- St Petersburgh

Europe - winter

- Munich

- Krakow

Asia - summer

- Istanbul

- Dubai

- Doha

- Tokyo

Asia - winter

- PyeongChang

- Almaty

North America - summer

- Toronto

North America - winter

- Reno - Tahoe

- Quebec City

South America - summer

- Monterrey

South America -winter

- Santiago

Oceania - Summer

- Brisbane

Africa - summer

- Cape Town

As we know, Mexico is North America, so it was probably divided between Iberic (Latin) America and Anglo-Saxon America.

True, I didn't give it much thought when I wrote it. I had the Latin America region classification from my business life in mind. So, Monterrey on my list can be NA then.

It does raise the question of how exactly the continents are defined. For example, would a Toronto games mean that Monterrey will be unsuccessful in the next cycle? There are a lot of sub regions in each continent.

If say Madrid hosts 2024, would that mean that a "new frontier" like Eastern Europe doesn't have a shot for 2028? Or how about Istanbul 2024? Does that shut out a Tokyo 2024 or a Paris 2024? The same for Doha or Dubai - would they shut out Tokyo for the following cycle?

True, I didn't give it much thought when I wrote it. I had the Latin America region classification from my business life in mind. So, Monterrey on my list can be NA then.

It does raise the question of how exactly the continents are defined. For example, would a Toronto games mean that Monterrey will be unsuccessful in the next cycle? There are a lot of sub regions in each continent.

If say Madrid hosts 2024, would that mean that a "new frontier" like Eastern Europe doesn't have a shot for 2028? Or how about Istanbul 2024? Does that shut out a Tokyo 2024 or a Paris 2024? The same for Doha or Dubai - would they shut out Tokyo for the following cycle?

As the IOC views it, a Toronto win would definitely shut out a Mexican run in the very next cycle. There was an 8 year gap between Mexico City & Montreal. North America has never held consecutive Summer Olympics, & no continent has had consecutive Summer Olympics since 1952. And to add to that, Europe is the only continent to have ever held consecutive Summer Olympics Games. So while there's no "official" rotation policy, the IOC "unofficially" seems to go out of it's way to sort of implement one.

And I wouldn't necessarily call Eastern Europe "New Frontier". We've had Moscow 1980, Sarajevo 1984 & soon Sochi 2014. And not to mention Athens, to a lesser degree.

Istanbul I think is so ambiguous, that the IOC could go either way in the next cycle (to Europe or Asia), that it wouldn't really matter.

Istanbul I think is so ambiguous, that the IOC could go either way in the next cycle (to Europe or Asia), that it wouldn't really matter.

Depends on the Istabul gang: how do they want to slant their bid: Euro- or Asian (which side of the Bosporus do they put most of the major venues and the OV to call it European or Asian??

Summer

Africa: Cape Town or Durban any time in the 2020's

Cairo decades after South Africa hosts first.

Europe: Paris in 2024

Istanbul, sometime in the 2030's will take care of both Europe and the Middle East region

North America: Toronto or San Francisco 2028 or 2032

South America: Buenos Aries but decades and decades after Rio

Asia: Tokyo, most likely 2028

Delhi 20 years after Tokyo

Kuala Lumpur 20 years after Delhi

Oceania: Melbourne not until the 2030's or 2040's

Winter

Europe: Munich wins 2018

Anywhere in Norway or Sweden from 2030

Asia: Harbin 2022 or 2026

Almaty years after Harbin hosts

North America: Denver 2022 or 2026

Oceania: Queenstown will bid but will never make the shortlist.

As someone else has already said here, that the Americas are one single continent when its good this way to the IOC members, like "the had their turn", and also are two, three or four different ones one the IOC wants so, like "South America first games" and in a far far future "Caribbean first games" and "Central America first games".

About Toronto and Monterrey, I sure one would make the other impossible. Actually a Monterrey successful bid would make it impossible to all the Americas + Spain. Mexico can do that. :)

About Madrid and East Europe, things are always easier to Europe, but as FYI wrote, they aren't really that new.

About Istanbul and Doha or Dubai, don't think they would shut out anyone. But who knows.

Summer

Africa: Cape Town or Durban any time in the 2020's

Cairo decades after South Africa hosts first.

Europe: Paris in 2024

Istanbul, sometime in the 2030's will take care of both Europe and the Middle East region

North America: Toronto or San Francisco 2028 or 2032

South America: Buenos Aries but decades and decades after Rio

Asia: Tokyo, most likely 2028

Delhi 20 years after Tokyo

Kuala Lumpur 20 years after Delhi

Oceania: Melbourne not until the 2030's or 2040's

Winter

Europe: Munich wins 2018

Anywhere in Norway or Sweden from 2030

Asia: Harbin 2022 or 2026

Almaty years after Harbin hosts

North America: Denver 2022 or 2026

Oceania: Queenstown will bid but will never make the shortlist.

Oooh another noob post to critique. ;)

San Francisco is merely a cluttered spread out bid, just look at their 2012 and 2016 bid proposals, spread out in the region, though making clear use of all existing usable venues, the fact that it was spread out might have made transportation a terror in an already congested city/region.

Kuala Lumpur will definitely host before Delhi, they will gain more experience in sporting events and perhaps even host an Asian Games or Youth Olympics before Delhi does, not to mention the delays in construction for Delhi isn't good for any prospecting future Olympic bid.

Almaty would be a more logical choice to host first than Harbin, considering the main flaw of Harbin is the distance between the city and ski resorts, but then again if the IOC want a Chinese Winter Olympics, then Harbin might make it.

Queenstown may never host, sure, but it's in NZ a developed country. You can't deny a developed country a place in the Candidate phase, especially if you only got like 3 bidders like for 2018. Even with poor current infrastructure, you'll let Queenstown give it's proposal, make the proper Candidate bid books then as expected, die in the voting phase of the IOC Session where they come last, eliminated first with like a few votes.

Oh well, maybe I'm wrong, who knows what'll happen... perhaps we'll see Bozeman 2022! (likewise even with current "poor" infrastructure, just the fact that it comes from the US will make it an automatic Candidate phase selection)

Europe:

SOG - Istanbul - Bicontinental Games ;)

WOG - Munich

Africa:

SOG - Cairo

WOG - Marocco (has a few ski centra)

South America:

SOG - Buenos Aires / Montevideo

WOG - Santiago

North America:

SOG - Philladelphia / Phoenix

WOG - Olympia - capital of Washington (state)

Oceania:

SOG - Brisbane

WOG - /

Asia:

SOG - Osaka / Bankok (would be very an exotic games .. hehe) or Kuala Lumpur-Maleysia

WOG - A South Korean City

Everybody talking about Cape Town 2020, but DUBAI WILL BE THE WINNER!!!!!!!

DUBAI 2020

Dubai will never win. Doha has a greater chance of "winning" 2020 if they use maximum use of climate controlled indoor venues as well as say climate controlled outdoor ones (as is their proposal for the 2022 WC). The fact that Doha is actively getting involved in more major sporting events than Dubai is another major factor.

Should it be a race between Cape Town and Dubai, I'd rather go with Cape Town.