Which Should Be The Next Host Cities From Each Continent After 2016?

cslopes54

Munich will be a very strong contender for 2022 should they lose 2018. They got sentimentality on their side what with the whole 50 years since the Summer Olympics thing, as well as being the first joint hosts. Then there's the proposed venue construction in their 2018 bid, some of which might be built regardless of the Olympics further boosts a Munich bid.

Should Denver bid, it will be strong, but perhaps not as strong enough as Munich, which has almost all venues readily available. Reno could potentially host, but the concept of Reno-Lake Tahoe is just corny. Bozeman, could host, should the IOC get wowed over the whole concept of a small town Winter Olympics again. They got a regional airport at nearby Belgrade, the Belgrade town arena could host Curling, the Bozeman arena could host Ice Hockey preliminaries. They have 3 or so major ski resorts within an hours or so drive, and supposedly a "world class" biathlon venue. Their university of Montana could house the Olympic Village, whilst the stadium could host ceremonies in an augmented/upgraded 30,000 or so. It would be interesting, even if it's not likely possible.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2020 race ,for me, will be between Cape Town,Tokyo and Istanbul

2024 also depends on the winner of 2020 same cities including a USA one and an EU one.. but Istanbul and Cape town ( if they handle FİFA CUP without any problems) will get these...

2018 .... S.korea works very hard for their previous bids... they can get it

2022 MUNICH without hesitate...:)

Auckland should only bid after it has staged a successful Commonwealth Games. Ideally North Harbour stadium will be the choice if it still can (assuming there isn't significant upgrades that would prevent the laying of an athletics track), alternatively a new Athletics Stadium built for the Commonwealth Games, with a capacity of 40,000-50,000 could host, augmented to 60,000-70,000 for an Olympics.

I know having a good stadium option is helpful but there is still a lot of other components that make up an Olympic city.

I think there would be huge legacy issues with constructed venues and infrastructure. The city simply isn't big enough and is incredibly isolated. It would be an uphill battle the entire time. Likewise for a winter games in NZ.

I know having a good stadium option is helpful but there is still a lot of other components that make up an Olympic city.

I think there would be huge legacy issues with constructed venues and infrastructure. The city simply isn't big enough and is incredibly isolated. It would be an uphill battle the entire time. Likewise for a winter games in NZ.

Legacy? What legacy? Assuming North Harbour will be used, it could end up as the supposed "National Stadium" NZ was proposing for the 2011 Rugby World Cup. Alternatively, a new stadium could be downsized like London's to a smaller Athletics Venue.

Perhaps build a new large arena of 15,000+ for the city.

Build a large exhibition centre to cater for some indoor sports whilst using temporary indoor arenas for others.

There will be lasting transportation legacy with a rail link for the North Shore.

It could happen, with major investment of course. A successful Commonwealth Games helps too.

I can't see them be a bigger favorite than Sweden(if Sweden bids)

Sweden is not going to be a favorite for anything if they don't bid. Munich is putting an awful lot of work into their current bid. I'd like them to win, but am expecting it to go to PC. Someone, come 2022, if Munich is there with a strong bid, and Sweden just shows up demanding to be handed the WOGs, I suspect the vote is going to go to Munich.

Here's my recommendation: Why don't you start a grassroots effort in your home country to bring the games to Sweden? This has been successful before, e.g., Lake Placid. Instead of moaning that Sweden is being shafted (while they sit on the sidelines and wait), do something to get them in the game.

Do we know that Munich will bid for 2022 if they lose 2018?? I can't see them be a bigger favorite than Sweden(if Sweden bids)... Sweden has lost so many time that it will be our turn...

sweden is just make the procedure and wait... they dont fight or work hard on their candidature like 2016 eufa cup...

it seems from outside like " hey we can be candidates but if u dont choose us its your shame not ours" :D

no passion ...

munich works very hard for 2018 and certain if they loose they are the strongest city for 2022

• 4 weeks later...

Some of my picks for future host cities (SOG or WOG)

Asia:

Tokyo

Delhi

Kuala Lumpur

Seoul

Europe:

Andorra la Vella (made an official bid for the 2010 WOG, but lost)

London

Paris

Berlin

Istanbul

Rome

Madrid

Oceania:

Sydney

Brisbane

Melbourne

North America:

New York City

Denver

Seattle

Toronto

San Diego

Miami

Mexico City

South America:

Rio de Janeiro

Brasilia

Sao Paulo

Buenos Aires

Montevideo

Africa:

Cape Town

Johannesburg

Alexandria

Cairo

Summer Olympic Bids

Europe - 2024 or beyond if Munich or Annecy win

Paris

Rome

Berlin

Asia - 2028 if PC Wins

Tokyo

Africa - 2020 (depending on success/praise from WC)

Cape Town

Durban

N. America - 2024 and beyond

Toronto

Chicago (unlikely to bid)

San Francisco

Boston

S. America - 2032 and beyond

Buenos Aires

Santiago

Oceania - 2028 and beyond

Brisbane

Melbourne

Winter Olympic Bids

Europe - 2022 depending on results from 2018

Munich

Asia - 2022 depending on results from 2018

Harbin

N. America - 2026 and beyond

Denver

Quebec City

Summer Olympic Games

2020 : Hiroshima or Busan

2024 : Berlin (if Munich lose) or Paris (if annecy lose)

2028 : Boston

2032 : Cap town or Buenos Ares

2036 : Rome or Istanbul or Madrid

2040 : Shangai

Winter Games

2018 : Annecy

2022 : Denver

2026 : Harbin or Japan

2030 : Ostertund

2034 : Quebec

2038 : Switzerland

2042 : Italia or German

• 2 weeks later...

Which should be the next host cities from each continent after 2016? (SOG or WOG)

Asia:

*Tokyo

*Pyeongchang

*Harbin

Europe:

*Paris

*München

*Prague

*Madrid

Africa:

*Cape Town

Oceania:

*Sydney(again?) ? Melbourne??

*a New Zealand city

North America:

*Toronto

*Boston/San Francisco

*NY

South America:

*Santiago

*Lima

What's ur opinion?

Tokyo

Munich

Cape Town

nothing from oceania for a while

San Fran all the way, not much of a new england fan, if i had a choice Dallas my hometown

Still pissed about Chitown so NOTHING from Sudamerica.

**SOG**

ASIA:

*MANILA

*TOKYO

EUROPE:

*PRAGUE

*VENICE

AFRICA:

*CAPE TOWN

*NAIROBI

THE AMERICAS:

*NEW YORK

*LOS ANGELES

*OCEANIA:

*MELBOURNE

*AUCKLAND

**WOG**

ASIA:

*SAPPORO

EUROPE:

*OSLO

*LILLEHAMMER

THE AMERICAS:

*DENVER

*LAKE PLACID

Tokyo

Munich

Cape Town

nothing from oceania for a while

San Fran all the way, not much of a new england fan, if i had a choice Dallas my hometown

Still pissed about Chitown so NOTHING from Sudamerica.

Haha

we're gonna give ya one more reason to not like New England. We're gonna kick ur Cowboys asss . Pats all they wayyy baby =p

• 8 months later...

Well, yes, it is expensive. But the bids are funded by private contributors in the city, not the government, so you don't get a taxpayer backlash on expensive, failing bids.

This leads into the three reasons that repeat bids in the US are uncommon:

1) The contributors to a bid like Chicago's, will not readily open their wallets for another attempt.

2) The populace doesn't like failure, and the media exploits failure. A survey of Chicago and New York today will likely find massive majority resistance from citizens to a another bid.

3) The bids take advantage of what's available at the time. For example. the Chicago bid depended heavily on the Michael Reese hospital for the village. Four years from now, that site will be gone, and there will not be many options for a good Olympic Village. This is the case with many of the major US cities - development is rapid and idle land is not idle for long. LA is an exception as they already have the facilities and simply reuse them.

I wouldn't count on Michael Reese being gone as a development site too quickly...do not forget how long it took to develop something at Block 37!

Just wanted to ask this: If the Summer Olympics were to return to South America 20+ years after RdJ's hosting, they would go to which city in the continent?

It should be Buenos Aires, the most cosmopolitan city in Hispanic America. BUT Argentina is all but certain... we shouldn't be surprised if they have another crisis (I hope not) and other cities like Sao Paulo, Brasilia, Santiago or Bogota could host before them.

Hispanic America = Latin America + Portugal. Hispanic America is the Spanish-speaking Americas.

Colombia is growing really fast and I think in less than 10 years, they could be as developed as Chile, Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina. Still, the only problem are the guerrilla with FARC, but every day the conflict is smaller and I think in a few years it could be over.

I'm familiar with the term 'Hispanic' America (which btw, is just the Spanish speaking countries of Latin America & doesn't include Portugal). What I meant is that you never really hear the term being used, at least not here in the United States. Just like other such terms as 'Spanish or Ibero' America. You just don't hear them.

And many countries throughout the world are growing really fast but that doesn't necessarily mean that any of them will or could host. Now that the IOC has finally placed a dot on South America, I don't see a return there anytime soon, at least not in the next 10 years. It'll be literally decades before another Olympics returns to the region & who knows what the South American landscape would be like by then.

Asia:

*Tokyo

*Pyeongchang

*Delhi

*Middle Eastern city(I would want to say.... Doha?)

Europe:

*Paris

*St.Petersburg/Moscow

*Amsterdam

*Madrid

*Roma/Milan

Africa:

*Cape Town

Possibly Lagos/Cairo, but I doubt those could work.

Oceania:

*Gold Coast/Perth, they have not been done before

*Sydney- its most likely

*Auckland

North America:

*Toronto

*Detroit

*Miami

*Chicago

South America:

*Buenos Aires

*Santiago