Volunteer Gear

Kenadian

They don't really look warm enough! The Torino jacket I've got is toasty.

It was said at the uniform unveiling:

" everyone (volunteer and paid staff) will get the same 6 piece uniform. Only the pants are different for mountain workers."

It was designed in layers and is made for mountain and city use. Remember that Vancouver/Whistler winter weather is wetter than other places so waterproofing is more important. Warmth will come from that and the layering thing. We all did this with our uniforms when I worked at Blackcomb/Whistler mountain years ago. Just take off stuff when you are too hot...we all do that here on the coast.

Personally, I did not like it at first and thought it was boring (like what others said), but on further review, its a great uniform and very Canadian. its functional without being overly flashy...the colour makes it standout without making people want to throw up when they see it.

It was said at the uniform unveiling:

" everyone (volunteer and paid staff) will get the same 6 piece uniform. Only the pants are different for mountain workers."

It was designed in layers and is made for mountain and city use. Remember that Vancouver/Whistler winter weather is wetter than other places so waterproofing is more important. Warmth will come from that and the layering thing. We all did this with our uniforms when I worked at Blackcomb/Whistler mountain years ago. Just take off stuff when you are too hot...we all do that here on the coast.

Personally, I did not like it at first and thought it was boring (like what others said), but on further review, its a great uniform and very Canadian. its functional without being overly flashy...the colour makes it standout without making people want to throw up when they see it.

The crazy ass graphic design of the backpack is meant to be the wild graphic thing that some said that they desire on the uniform... unfortunately I am a bit bothered that you have to pay 50 bucks for it! It should be free or at least half that...

The ones in Torino 2006 were pratical but with touch of colors... I guarantee you that I often wear them... and the backpack was included in the kit so free for the volunteers !

dsc0208a.jpg

Wow...red for a winter olympics? Granted you do stand out, but its a bit 80's looking...

I doubt many would wear the sweater underneath...a bit too bright for those of us in NA

The Look of the Games at Torino WOGs was very colorful, they used many colors from black, pink, red and yellow to green and blue. The look was absolutely amazing.

BTW, Torino gave backbacks, gloves, caps and also the boots with the uniforms FREE to the volunteers.

PS. Sometimes I still use the sweater and the uniform when I go to the Alps.

And I still find it great.

The Look of the Games at Torino WOGs was very colorful, they used many colors from black, pink, red and yellow to green and blue. The look was absolutely amazing.

BTW, Torino gave backbacks, gloves, caps and also the boots with the uniforms FREE to the volunteers.

PS. Sometimes I still use the sweater and the uniform when I go to the Alps.

And I still find it great.

Please folks, lets not take things personally...the clothing reflects regional tastes...and its great that people all over liked their own olympics uniforms. And yes, its great to get lots of stuff...but our olympics is dealing with trying to keep costs down...we are lucky that we are getting what we are.

The goal here is the athletes and not the uniforms, or how fantastic one olympics is over everyone else's. I just hope we have snow and can keep our traffic down during the games!

Please folks, lets not take things personally...the clothing reflects regional tastes...and its great that people all over liked their own olympics uniforms. And yes, its great to get lots of stuff...but our olympics is dealing with trying to keep costs down...we are lucky that we are getting what we are.

I'm sure you're proud to wear that uniform, also after the Olympics. Guaranteed.

I'm sure you're proud to wear that uniform, also after the Olympics. Guaranteed.

Thanks Lehari...here is a little story about how conservative we are here in Vancouver and Canada:

When I volunteered at the 1994 Victoria Commonwealth games and we were given a very colourful uniform. It was electric teal blue/green, bright yellow and purple track suit with yellow t shirt, teal hat, fanny pack and a few other things. We stood out so much but looked good! All volunteers got stopped for their uniforms and I had many want to buy it off my back. The problem was, where do you wear it after the games? The closing ceremony had tons of volunteers walk into the stadium wearing the outfit. It was so bright that we dulled all the colours of all the national teams. But after the games, no one wore a single thing out. It just stood out too much for most of our tastes. You cant even find pics of it on the internet! LOL

I will try to send pics...it was a nice uniform but now its in a box up in the attic.

Thanks Lehari...here is a little story about how conservative we are here in Vancouver and Canada:

When I volunteered at the 1994 Victoria Commonwealth games and we were given a very colourful uniform. It was electric teal blue/green, bright yellow and purple track suit with yellow t shirt, teal hat, fanny pack and a few other things. We stood out so much but looked good! All volunteers got stopped for their uniforms and I had many want to buy it off my back. The problem was, where do you wear it after the games? The closing ceremony had tons of volunteers walk into the stadium wearing the outfit. It was so bright that we dulled all the colours of all the national teams. But after the games, no one wore a single thing out. It just stood out too much for most of our tastes. You cant even find pics of it on the internet! LOL

I will try to send pics...it was a nice uniform but now its in a box up in the attic.

here is a youtube video showing the 94 Victoria Commonwealth games race walker event...the volunteer uniform is peppered throughout. Look for people with yellow tshirts and bright teal and purple track suits. Its probably the reason why Vancouver went conservative for the Olympics! LOL