Alaska Winter Olympics

777rak

Rather then get off topic in my other post about new sport anway... If Alaska were to bid for the Olympics they should add for this one time the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race. Anyway back on topic Alaksa should bid for the Winter Olympics. They are obvisouly a cold/snowy state. What do you guys think?

It's very possible but the one major challenge, as seen with the 1992 and 1994 bids, is this: Alaska has 700,000 (with half of those living hundreds of miles in every direction away from Anchorage) people tops and getting enough support staff would have to attract hundreds of people to spend a lot of time in Anchorage, definitely the only city capable of such an event, and attracting enough public staff to deal with the massive number of visitors would be a pain. The population of Anchorage and surrounding communities at around 280,000 is less than the number of visitors alone during a winter games. It would need to be somewhere between the classic mountain town games and the large metro area games we've seen lately. The bidding and host committee would need big name faces to gain American financial support and support in general. Also, there is only one ski area that is capable of international event standards, Alyeska in nearby Girdwood, and it would need plenty of work done, a new sliding track, and all of that jazz.

Another big challenge? The largest stadium is nowhere near big enough for the ceremonies and a new structure would need to be built. But considering Alaska's population and how spread out it is, a major stadium is not necessarily a feasible legacy unless by some miracle Anchorage acquires a first class professional sports team.

From what ongoing census reports say Alaska continues to have the highest percentage increase of population from birth rate, domestic immigration, and foreign immigration year after year, but I'm not so sure those numbers are enough to support an event of that magnitude.

Rather then get off topic in my other post about new sport anway... If Alaska were to bid for the Olympics they should add for this one time the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race.

You know, I've always liked that idea - or even dog sledding in the Winer Games full stop. I'd like the idea as dogs joining humans and horses in the olympic arena.

You know, I've always liked that idea - or even dog sledding in the Winer Games full stop. I'd like the idea as dogs joining humans and horses in the olympic arena.

Not only that but sprint races are more competed in internationally. Distance racers come mainly from here in Canada and Alaska. Two big obstacles for it are continental participation (although a few token athletes from unusual countries like Jamaica train at dogsledding in the north) and having to fight off animal rights protests.

Archived