New Sport

Alaska did. Anchorage tried to host 1992 and 1994.

I think the Winter program is rather full. There are some team sports like ringette, bandy and broomball that are similar to hockey and dog sledding was a demonstration sport in 1932. But there doesn't seem to be much of a drive from these sports to get on the Olympic roster.

Women's Ski Jumping have to be the next events to add.

Yea, FIS should also get their sh!t together on women's Nordic Combined.

I would love to see individual pursuit in speed skating.

Speed Skiing was a demonstration sport in Albertville and one skier was killed in an accident during the event.

Really?

I don't think its likely, because honestly after adding skeleton in 2002 there is no other major federation.

^ The speed skier didn't die in competition. But it was such a strange event and it could likely encourage bad habits on regular ski slopes.

Just found the name of the skier : Nicolas Bochatay from Switzerland

It's possible that he died during the training session. I only remember a quick flash in the news (17 years ago). At that time I was not following Olympics like I do now.

I tried to find something on Youtube tonight. Nothing.

Edited after finding some stories about fatals accidents (including the one in Albertville)

(Reuters) - South Korea's Kim Hyung-chil died after he was crushed by his horse in a heavy fall at the Asian Games equestrian event in Doha on Thursday.

Here are some details about other athletes who have died at major Games:

* Francisco Lazaro - The Portuguese marathon runner was the first fatality in modern Olympic competition.

The 21-year-old collapsed with heat stroke towards the end of the course at the 1912 Olympics in Stockholm. He died in hospital the following day.

* Knut Jensen - The Danish cyclist fractured his skull after a fall during the road race at the 1960 Rome Olympics. An autopsy revealed that he had taken amphetamines, prompting the first major crackdown against drug use in sport.

* Ross Milne - Nineteen-year-old Australian skier Ross Milne was practising for the downhill event at the 1964 Winter Olympics in Innsbruck, Austria, when he hit a tree after flying off course and died.

* Kazimierz Kay-Skrzypeski - The 50-year-old British luger suffered fractures of the pelvis and died of his injuries after his sled shot off a lipless chute in practice two weeks before the Innsbruck Games.

* Nicolas Bochatay - The Swiss speed skier was killed at the 1992 Albertville Games when he hit a snowcat while warming up for the final.

How about telemark skiing? It was a demonstration at the Lillehammer games, but I don't remember a reason why it didn't continue.

Speed Skiing could be added back provided they were able to ensure a safe course. One of the problems I remember was that the course was not perfect, which turned out to be devastating at 130mph!

Dog Sledding? Problem is you have the championships in February, along with the Yukon Challenge, then you have the Iditarod in March. This is going to eliminate your best mushers, or tax the dogs severely.

One sport I could actually see being added sometime is ice climbing. It would certainly make for dramatic television...

When I was yesterday on the ISU website to check the result of the Paris Figure Skating Grand Prix, I noticed a section about Synchronized Skating.

They consider it a different sport than Figure Skating (as like Gymnastic Artistic vs Trampoline vs Gymnastic Rhythmic)

They have a World Championship (last year it was in Zagreb Croatia, won by Canada, followed by Finland and Sweeden)

Maybe that's the next new sport

Guest Skidud313
Expect more X-y sports rather than a whole new type of event. I suspect more in the way of snowboarding, freestyle, snowcross and that type of thing.

I think if the IOC were to add sports, I agree they would look towards X-games type sports. They seem to be obsessed with capturing youth, as if in 30 years there's going to be nobody left to watch the Olympics. I'm in my 20's, and through high school and even now, almost everyone I know gets into the Olympics on some level, and it's not the fringe, extreme sports that everyone is talking about (Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt still garner more attention than any skateboarder). I think they're creating a phantom threat from new sports

This may sound stupid, but what about ensemble or synchronized figure skating involving four people? I don't know if there is really such a thing already (sorry, I don't follow winter sports) or how realistic it would be to have four people on the ice at the same time performing a routine. I suggest this because, as silly as this may sound, I was playing Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games on Wii and one of the "Dream Events" is figure skating with four characters on the ice. Granted there's a fantasy aspect, like jumping over fireballs, but it's still fun to play and it got me to thinking exactly how realistic it could be. Any thoughts?

This may sound stupid, but what about ensemble or synchronized figure skating involving four people? I don't know if there is really such a thing already (sorry, I don't follow winter sports) or how realistic it would be to have four people on the ice at the same time performing a routine. I suggest this because, as silly as this may sound, I was playing Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games on Wii and one of the "Dream Events" is figure skating with four characters on the ice. Granted there's a fantasy aspect, like jumping over fireballs, but it's still fun to play and it got me to thinking exactly how realistic it could be. Any thoughts?

Legit questions, roux. Synchronized skating is already a legit discipline in the ISU ranks. However, creating another sub-category involving 4 skaters (as opposed to the 16 or so for the group synchro skating) is akin to...oh, look, there are no quadrathon. septa-, octa- and novathlons in the summer slate; let's add those!!

Same thing with synchro diving: why stop at 2? Why not bump it up to one diver more with each edition of the Games, so say by the Venice 2050 Olympiad, the event would take 20 divers...which of course, would be great for Venice because they can all dive from the Rialto bridge. But I digress...

There just have to be limits.

Archived