Scotland Summer Olympics

777rak

I'm Scottish so this idea is obviously appealing to me!

Anyway, since London is hosting the games as the UK's bid, another UK city hosting the games will not happen for an awful long time - certainly not in my lifetime.

Scotland could host the games if they were awarded to the nation - the country has a lot of the infrastructure necessary but would need, like most cities, to build specific venues. Scotland has one of the most developed tourism economies in Europe and so is used to dealing with millions of visitors per year which demonstrates it's capabilities. Also, it has a pedigree, beyond it's size, of staging major sporting events such as the Commonwealth games, European football events etc.

I've pondered the idea too - maybe a joint bid between Edinburgh and Glasgow similar to what Japan is proposing for 2020 with Hiroshima / Nagasaki.

I think Scotland would provide a beautiful games with a wonderful atmosphere. If anyone's ever been to the Edinburgh festival or a Scottish Highland games, they will know how magical the experience is. The visual identity of tartan, bagpipes, lochs, mountains and castles would be an amazing site few countries could match.

Anyway, in all seriousness, it will never happen. There has never been a desire for an Olympic games in Scotland. The only way I cn see it happening is if Scotland goes down the route of independence from the UK and gets caught up in a sea of nationalism and somewhere down the line wants the Olympic games to celebrate it.

I've pondered the idea too - maybe a joint bid between Edinburgh and Glasgow similar to what Japan is proposing for 2020 with Hiroshima / Nagasaki.

I think that's the only way it could realistically happen but, given that the two cities are so close, I don't see why it should be dismissed out of hand.

And remember FIFA might recognize your 4 sub-states (for lack of a better word), but the IOC recognizes the British Isles as GBR. Perhaps there will be a "Scottish suite" in the 2012 OC.

True.

But if Scotland devolved from the UK and became independent then it would be recognised as Scotland.

There better be a 'Scottish suite' in the 2012 OC or it makes a mockery of the Olympic games in London being a platform to celebrate ALL of the indigenous home nations of which Scotland is one of them.

Yeah Scotland would have a better chance of hosting the Olympics if they were an independant country, however cant see this happening any time soon. We would be very similar to the Irish Republic, and they have not hosted such major events. It is a very nice thought though

Yeah Scotland would have a better chance of hosting the Olympics if they were an independant country, however cant see this happening any time soon. We would be very similar to the Irish Republic, and they have not hosted such major events. It is a very nice though.

Ireland's never really pursued things though.

Scotland's a more able country given that both of Scotland's biggest cities (Glasgow and Edinburgh) are less than 40 minutes apart by train, and 30 minutes apart by car. Also, Scotland has a pedigree of hosting big events - Edinburgh festival ( biggest arts festival in the world), Commonwealth games, Champions league football, MTV music awards, best golf tournaments in the world etc.

Scotland won't ever host an Olympic games though as it's not really in our political or social agenda. But Scotland certainly could and I'm sure they would be outstanding.

Definitely, if it was a combined Edinburgh-Glasgow effort, it would be definitely do-able. It would have to be marketed as either one or the other, though (more likely as an Edinburgh bid).

Sigh! It's nice to dream.

It's only a pipe-dream but strangely it is something I have thought about myself. I think Scotland could do something rather special but with a human touch and warmth that it is known for. I don't know if the IOC accepts joint city bids or needs a main anchor city as you suggest for marketing purposes. It's just that Edinburgh-Glasgow are so close to each other they are more connected than some singular cities are. A combined effort would showcase two aspects of Scotland whilst obviously providing more infrastructure, venues etc.

The truth is though that it will never happen but the most likely scenario for it to happen would be if Scotland devolved from the UK union and sought to stage the Olympic games without having the implications of London hanging over it.

Ah, we can but dream........

Archived