Entrance Of Nations At The Oc In Rio De Janeiro 2016

LOL

This is just crazy. It´s gonna be Kwait and Hong Kong, for fure, and it will be Kosovo, not Kossovo. :lol: Hongue Congue is really funny, if we should write names as we speak it, then it should be Ron Con. :lol:

AND FYW Holanda isn't even half of the whole country. Holanda is a region of Países Baixos and, btw there's nothing wrong with that name. You have to read further instead of saying something you apparently don't really know about.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just small mistakes

Costa do Marfim is the right not Côte d’Ivoire

Yeah - I saw "Costa do Marfim", too - but I changed it into "Côte d’Ivoire", since there is a law in the Ivory Coast that forbids to translate its name into a different language - therefore the country will always called Cote d'Ivoire during the Olympics.

In German we call it Elfenbeinküste, but in official events always: Cote d'Ivoire

and what about Russia and Nedherlands ?

Russia in Olympics is presented as Russian Federation, so in portuguese it is: Federação Russa.

Here we used to call Nedherlands as "Holanda", Holland in English, wich is wrong, but this name "Países Baixos" is really ugly, it is something like: "Low Countries" :blink: They should call it "Neerlanda".

Well - the Netherlands (it is "Nederlanden" in Dutch) means "Low Countries" - in German "Niederlande" (Low Countries) - the Netherlands belong for a very long time to the Holy Roman Empire of German Nations - the name is just describing that there are no high mountains and today the most part of the Netherlands is lower than the sea-level...

AND FYW Holanda isn't even half of the whole country. Holanda is a region of Países Baixos and, btw there's nothing wrong with that name. You have to read further instead of saying something you apparently don't really know about.

Don´t try to gimme geographic lesson, I'm sure you'll lose at this point. Países Baixos is not a good word. We used to call "Iugoslovia", not "País Eslavo do Sul", "Iceland" as "Islândia", not "Terra do Gelo", "Greenland" as "Groelândia", not "Terra Verde", so why we should call "Nedherlands" as "Países Baixos" ?

Maybe in dictionaries or in Wikipedia, they call it "Países Baixos", but it still weird and wrong, because I'm sure few people have think about that. If a person born there is a "neerlandês" and the language spoken there is "neerlandês" so, the country must be "Neerlânda" or "Neerlândia". Países Baixos is just a awful name.

and please, let´s stop this kind of chauvinsm, even in scholar and academic books, they use "Hong Kong" and "Kwait" and "Kosovo"...there is no reason to use this "Hongue Kongue" thing. It´s the same to start using "sítio" instead "site", or "comida-rápida" instead "fast-food"...we don´t need to make this kind of thing to say that we are patriotic, or that we love our language.

Don´t try to gimme geographic lesson, I'm sure you'll lose at this point. Países Baixos is not a good word. We used to call "Iugoslovia", not "País Eslavo do Sul", "Iceland" as "Islândia", not "Terra do Gelo", "Greenland" as "Groelândia", not "Terra Verde", so why we should call "Nedherlands" as "Países Baixos" ?

Maybe in dictionaries or in Wikipedia, they call it "Países Baixos", but it still weird and wrong, because I'm sure few people have think about that. If a person born there is a "neerlandês" and the language spoken there is "neerlandês" so, the country must be "Neerlânda" or "Neerlândia". Países Baixos is just a awful name.

and please, let´s stop this kind of chauvinsm, even in scholar and academic books, they use "Hong Kong" and "Kwait" and "Kosovo"...there is no reason to use this "Hongue Kongue" thing. It´s the same to start using "sítio" instead "site", or "comida-rápida" instead "fast-food"...we don´t need to make this kind of thing to say that we are patriotic, or that we love our language.

Just one thing for you: HAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Not worth a try.

For the people unaware of what's going on in this conversation, some guy here is trying to tell me that, just because he sees some names of countries spelt one way everywhere - television, journals etc - that they are correct form in our languae. In the portuguese language, especially in Brazil there's a "phenomena" of inserting Anglicized words into our everyday vocabulary just because they sound or are spelt in an easier/fanciable way. This is VERY common amongst our youngsters and this is obviously the case here. Some guy is trying to convince me that a name of a country, as it is OFFICIALLY spelt in the portuguese language will not be used in an olympic ceremony because Fucking teachers at school and fucking Jornal Nacional filho da puta use other words so young people have never and will never probably hear or know how to write some names in their own language!

It makes me wanna SCREAM with anger!

For the people unaware of what's going on in this conversation, some guy here is trying to tell me that, just because he sees some names of countries spelt one way everywhere - television, journals etc - that they are correct form in our languae. In the portuguese language, especially in Brazil there's a "phenomena" of inserting Anglicized words into our everyday vocabulary just because they sound or are spelt in an easier/fanciable way. This is VERY common amongst our youngsters and this is obviously the case here. Some guy is trying to convince me that a name of a country, as it is OFFICIALLY spelt in the portuguese language will not be used in an olympic ceremony because Fucking teachers at school and fucking Jornal Nacional filho da puta use other words so young people have never and will never probably hear or know how to write some names in their own language!

It makes me wanna SCREAM with anger!

Thats´s really sad guy, anger only makes the whole word crazy.

If you believe that patriotic means being anger with inserting anglicized words into our vocabulary, you don´t even know what patriotic means.

For people unaware of what´s going on, I will tell you: in Brazil we have the "ufanistas", people that believe that our country is the best in the world, because we have the best soccer players, the most beautiful beaches, the most happy folks...Brazil is the best country in the world. For this people, if you say that you don´t like the idea of having Olympics in Brazil, you are not patriotic, or are an alienated idiot...if you say that you don´t like the idea of having ceremonies in Maracanã and Athletics in João Havelange, it´s because you are an jealousy american, that don't know how to lose, or an europeand that is prejudiced against Brazil.

Ufanismo is like "chauvinism", and was used by military dictatorship in Brazil as a politica propaganda, and we can realise that it did affected some people.

Thats´s really sad guy, anger only makes the whole word crazy.

If you believe that patriotic means being anger with inserting anglicized words into our vocabulary, you don´t even know what patriotic means.

For people unaware of what´s going on, I will tell you: in Brazil we have the "ufanistas", people that believe that our country is the best in the world, because we have the best soccer players, the most beautiful beaches, the most happy folks...Brazil is the best country in the world. For this people, if you say that you don´t like the idea of having Olympics in Brazil, you are not patriotic, or are an alienated idiot...if you say that you don´t like the idea of having ceremonies in Maracanã and Athletics in João Havelange, it´s because you are an jealousy american, that don't know how to lose, or an europeand that is prejudiced against Brazil.

Ufanismo is like "chauvinism", and was used by military dictatorship in Brazil as a politica propaganda, and we can realise that it did affected some people.

Do me a favour, will ya? Ignore every single word I say and I'll do the same with yours. It will be much better for us both.

I don't need some kid telling me what's to be patriotic, nor I want to hear any kind of bulshit regarding myself from a person who barely knows me.

I know my country's strenghts and imperfections and if I am patriotic or not it's none of your business.

Do me a favour, will ya? Ignore every single word I say and I'll do the same with yours. It will be much better for us both.

I don't need some kid telling me what's to be patriotic, nor I want to hear any kind of bulshit regarding myself from a person who barely knows me.

I know my country's strenghts and imperfections and if I am patriotic or not it's none of your business.

Ok, but if you don´t want to hear bulshit regardin yourself, don´t write bulshit regarding the others.

In fact, Reino Unido's official name can show you the feel of what I am saying, it's more complete : O Reino Unido da Grã-Bretanha e da Irlanda do Norte

Sounds like the direct translation of that is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Our NOC title is just Great Britain and Northern Ireland. So I think it will be Grã-Bretanha e da Irlanda do Norte.

Sounds like the direct translation of that is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Our NOC title is just Great Britain and Northern Ireland. So I think it will be Grã-Bretanha e da Irlanda do Norte.

minus DA... if you trasnlate it that way it will be Grã-Bretanha e Irlanda do Norte. In this case the word DA makes no sense

I'm curious to see the reaction of the brazillian crowd when the portuguese delegation enters the stadium, will they boo or cheer?

Brazilians usually get along pretty well with the Portuguese. In 2006, after Brazil was eliminated from the WC, wverybody supported Portugal. So, I have no doubt that the Brazilians will cheer for them. Besides, Rio has a huge Portuguese colony.

that's what I was expecting, in 2016 on those two weeks the cariocas will be very friendly towards their guests (maybe except Argentines or Uruguayans if they win WC2014) even tough the portuguese are to brazilian jokes what the polish are to american jokes.

The Argentinians might be booed and possibly the Americans depending on the attitude. If someone arrives posting "Welcome to Congo" like in the 2007 PanAm Games, Americans will have a very "warm" welcome. The Uruguayans won't be bothered, they have never been real rivals except in football... But even in football, I don't think they are that important any more.

Henrique, Daniel and Lucas

Instead of saying that I am wrong because you have never seen these countries names being spelt like that, take a look at some good Portuguese dictionary or even at wikipedia. Our language has been butched for years now by the media, mainly because they want to add new anglo therms and people really think that Hong Kong is correct portuguese but it isn't. Couaite and Hongue Conngue are indeed correct Brazilian portuguese and it doesn't take much for you to know.

And Daniel, as far as I am concerned, the three letters KYW were JUST introduced into both variations of the Portuguese language and even if it's allowed to write foreign names with KYW in Portuguese, these countries still do have a PROPER portuguese translation. Let's not keep the butcher work and give a little more value to our language.

And if we are talking about Funny, what do you think about the name Camarões for example??? It's not even a literal translation but yet it's correct portuguese so LETS RESEARCH a little before making fun of your fellow collegue here.

I didn't say you were wrong, I just thought it was funny. Stop freaking out over every single thread, it's starting to get old. :rolleyes:

Henrique, Daniel and Lucas

Instead of saying that I am wrong because you have never seen these countries names being spelt like that, take a look at some good Portuguese dictionary or even at wikipedia. Our language has been butched for years now by the media, mainly because they want to add new anglo therms and people really think that Hong Kong is correct portuguese but it isn't. Couaite and Hongue Conngue are indeed correct Brazilian portuguese and it doesn't take much for you to know.

And Daniel, as far as I am concerned, the three letters KYW were JUST introduced into both variations of the Portuguese language and even if it's allowed to write foreign names with KYW in Portuguese, these countries still do have a PROPER portuguese translation. Let's not keep the butcher work and give a little more value to our language.

And if we are talking about Funny, what do you think about the name Camarões for example??? It's not even a literal translation but yet it's correct portuguese so LETS RESEARCH a little before making fun of your fellow collegue here.

Denis, KYW are usual for Brazilian Portuguese since 1993 (by a resolution of senate). The new orthographic reform only made it valid for the other countries.

I work in the media and if we have two ways of writing a name, we should use the most easy and most known, for example Hong Kong...

Probably RIO-OCOG will use the "consagrada" form...

About Cameroon...

Portuguese explorers reached the coast of the country in the 15th century and named the area Rio dos Camarões ("River of Prawns"), the name from which Cameroon derives.

The Argentinians might be booed and possibly the Americans depending on the attitude. If someone arrives posting "Welcome to Congo" like in the 2007 PanAm Games, Americans will have a very "warm" welcome. The Uruguayans won't be bothered, they have never been real rivals except in football... But even in football, I don't think they are that important any more.

it´s not gonna happen. In the ceremonies, only people who have a good education will be there, because of the tickets´price, and these people know that we have to treat our guests friendly.

it´s not gonna happen. In the ceremonies, only people who have a good education will be there, because of the tickets´price, and these people know that we have to treat our guests friendly.

Well, they did boo our president when he already had a 70% rate approval in the Pan Ams opening ceremony. I'm sure they'll boo the argentinians.

Well, they did boo our president when he already had a 70% rate approval in the Pan Ams opening ceremony. I'm sure they'll boo the argentinians.

People who booed Lula, did it because they were "tucanos", and the "tucanos" never got the idea of having Lula as president...at Pan American games they did not boo argentinians, so why they will do it in 2016 ?

Brazilian people aren´t stupid as many here believe.

I think after PanAm polemic, nobody will boo nothing...

Indeed, in the second week of PanAms, after all the booings polemics in the media, speakers at the venues asked people to not boo athletes... And then the boos stopped... The problem is already solved.

Well, I've been to Maracana for a soccer match and I booed Ecuador soccer team... But in soccer, that's ok

Archived