Languages In Brazilian Schools

At after 8th grade, mandatory English and Spanish for public and private schools...

Before that English is very often learned in private school and now in Rio's public system.

I don't know what you mean about keep the language for final exam... Since Brazilian educational system (as many things in Brazil) is very different from those in Northern Hemisphere...

We don't have this final exam to achieve graduation in primary and secondary school...

We have a exam (vestibular or now ENEM test) to get the University... And some Universities asks for a foreign language, other worse Universities don't.

Out of topic...

Sometimes we get angry about foreigners comments on Brazil for this reason. Brazil can not be compared to Europe or North America or their vision, since many, but many things in Brazil are pretty different... (For good and bad things).

Brazil is not a rich country (I've already told here middle class for Brazil is not the same concept of middle class in Europe or USA),

Brazil is not placed in the Northern Hemisphere (that's why our school year begins in february and end in november)... Yes, our christmas day is on the beach with 40C sun...

All our commercial holidays are different (valentines in june, mother's day in may, father's day in august...)

Our country federation is centralised in Federal Govt (In USA, for example, each state have its own laws - in Brazil minor laws are allowed to be discussed into the states).

We don't have counties (only states and municipalities-city administration).

Our police force is military and there is also a civilian police (yes, we have two separate polices) only make investigations... And both polices are not based on municipalities... The states govts. that rules the polices...

That's why many things can not be compared to Northern Hemisphere ones... And that's why some comments here are complete inaccurate...

Out of topic...

Sometimes we get angry about foreigners comments on Brazil for this reason. Brazil can not be compared to Europe or North America or their vision, since many, but many things in Brazil are pretty different... (For good and bad things).

There is no reason to get angry - here on GB we are interested in the world and how things are run differently in different countries...

I was asking since I think it is important for Olympic Games to creat an international atmosphere in the city during the time of the Olympic Games - it is helpful when they are Brazilians who can speak several languages (by the way I had asked nearly the same question in the London forum)

I told it was out-of-topic...

I said we get angry when foreigners made comments on Brazil based on the Europeans things (not your case, Citius, I was talking about favelas-social-culture-things).

I used my answer to your question to make an example that things in Brazil are really different... And I loved your question, and your behavior, Citius, because you want to know more about Brazil. This is good!

I never entered the Madrid threads to make complains about Madrid and Spain things, since I never been there, I'm not familiar to Spanish culture and economic-social things... Neither for Tokyo. I can talk a little about USA, since my family had a house there in the past, and I went many times to USA.

The useless discussions here happens when other people says a lot of bullshit about Brazil without knowing not about us.

Again: it's not the case here in this topic, that's why I mentioned it's out-of-topic.

there is no reason to be angry, this is different in many countries on north hemisphere too. The brazilian committee already said that languages course will be avaible for people who want to learn and will be in contact with foreigners during the games.

I'm not angry with Citius, I only used the example of our talking to show that things in Brazil are different and other members here in GB should behave like Citius, that wants to know more about Brazil.

There are people here that make a lot of posts on Brazil without know the capital of Brazil or where Brazil is placed in the world map...

Not angry with the discussion here, that's why I said: it out-of-topic...

BTW, languages in school is a very important issue for a country who wants to receive the world...

Once again, my poor English (reading it now - my first post) almost created a mess here...

Sorry.

I just want to emphasise that I didn't think that danny was angry with me (I understood what he meant) - I just wanted to say that it is normal that the decision for Rio 2016 is drawing attention toward issues in Brazil!

I am looking forward to learn more about Brazil in the next years and I just hope that we can share our thoughts and approaches here on GamesBids (without any heated debates), since it is a fantastic place to learn about the world.

My affection for Australia is based on the Sydney 2000 and my wonderful trip to the continent "down under" seven years later - this vacation is a direct outcome of a friendship with an Australian, who I met here on GB for the first time - isn't that the best thing what the internet can do?

I mean friendship around the world without borders?

And I am looking forward to my next "down under" vacation next year in autumn/spring!!!

Things vary from school to school. In Brazil we don't have optional classes (there might be exceptions, though), everyone has to take the same classes. For example, I've always had English classes at school, but I only had Spanish classes in the 7th and 8th grades (because I changed schools in the 7th grade). That's why my Spanish is really, really limited. Though, it's not like I think it's possible to learn a language just with what school teaches us. I remember we could never get past the "to be" verb!

We don't have a final exam either. What we do have is big exams to enter universities, and each university has one. So the criteria varies too. For example, when I tried USP and UNICAMP, two years ago, English was mandatory. On UNESP's exam, however we could choose between English and Spanish.

Our Ensino Fundamental (something equivalent to Elementary school in the US) have very basic English and Spanish being taught. When the kid goes into Ensino Médio (High School) the level increases, but it is still different from school to school. There are private schools which emphasize the learning of foreign languages and there are others (mainly public schools) where the teaching of other laguages is seen as something secondary (mainly because the ruling mentality is that virtually everyone in a 5.000km Radius having Brasilia as a center speaks portuguese, so other languages are yet seen as something secondary in studies - but this is slowly changing).

The school I studied Ensino Médio taught three languages and we had to opt for 1. I chose spanish for I had already studied English in a specialized English school during 6 years and lived abroad for one year - and still I don't think I speak proper English. If I was to compete with a person who had his/hers English skills taught at most Brazilian schools - not the specialized ones - I would be years ahead of them.

I took the Vestibular test to study at the Federal University of my state. In it, we had billions of questions for each subject - advanced Chemistry, Math, all variations of physics and so on... and at the end of the test, we had the 10 most stupid English questions I had to answer in my life... A 5 month old baby in England would answer those... and still people find English hard because still, for most of the Brazilians, Portuguese is enough for their living, and for some others, it's a question of pride too.

I entered the Dental School at the University in a class with 60 students. I was the only one who could speak other language properly, but it meant nothing to the others - I was special only at the time we had millions of science journals in English to be read - these were the times these people "liked" me...

In Brazil, a foreign language is mandatory after the 6th year (11-year-old kids) of Elementary school. To get into college, one has to take an exam on one of those 3 second languages: French, English and Spanish. However, the quality of a second language class in schools is poor. Most of the middle class put their kids in English courses to make them good English speakers.

Some private schools teach English since the beginning of Elementary School and, starting next year, this will be the case for all public schools in Rio de Janeiro (the city, not the state). The Rio mayor has announced last Tuesday this new program which includes the hiring of 800 English teachers to fulfill this need. The goal is to increase the number of English speakers among the population before 2016.

How about we teach these foreign people some portuguese words and expressions so they'll be fluent portuguese speakers by 2016? There is that 'livemocha' site which is quite useful.

So, where do we start? Numbers, colours, animals or filthy words?

Oh, filthy words are a bonus! They are not mandatory! We'll teach them how the swear in portuguese if they behave nicely. =P

• 4 weeks later...
Isn´t Spanish going to be mandatory in every school from 2010 ?

I´ve heard something on the radio last week, but it wasn´t something I really paid much attention.

No, it's not. Schools are obliged to offer the students a modern language, no matter which one. For example, in Rio Grande do Sul, Santa Catarina and Parana States, children study their ancestor immigrants languages, like Italian, for instance. In Rio de Janeiro, mainly in the Northern area, some schools are teaching Chinese - Mandarin - due to the economic reality: chinese investments in large ammounts.

Government - since President Sarney's Adm - want Spanish Language in schools as a kind of linking to Mercosul. But you know how things go. There are no enough teachers and sometimes Mercosul countries - Brazil included - act as if Mercosul simply didn't exist.

Mercosur? It exists still?

This is just sad but you're right. I've always been a great enthusiast of Mercosur, but it seems that it will never forge ahead. Whenever something bad happens in Argentina, Paraguay or Uruguay, Brazil is the one to blame.

U.S. could say: "welcome to my life" :lol:

Archived