• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How is 12 years too soon. Asia is the largest population base, the largest market, where most of the new sponsors are from, and has more potential hosts than other places. Asia deserves the Olympics

Tokyo 2020 Games bid to become official soon The Tokyo metropolitan government has decided to bid to host the 2020 Summer Olympics, and an official announcement is likely later this month, according

Consultants strategy meeting in Istanbul

Hiroshima, Nagasaki still interested in 2020

1/8/2010, 3:10 a.m. EST

The Associated Press

(AP) — TOKYO - Hiroshima and Nagasaki haven't given up on co-hosting the 2020 Olympics, even though the International Olympic Committee has cast doubt on their proposal.

Hiroshima mayor Tadatoshi Akiba and Nagasaki mayor Tomihisa Taue will meet next week with former IOC vice president Chiharu Igaya to seek his support for the joint bid by the two cities, site of atomic bombings at the end of World War Two.

Akiba said Friday that one option is to have Hiroshima apply to be the host city with Nagasaki holding some events. The two cities are 183 miles apart-Nagasaki is on Japan's southern island of Kyushu while Hiroshima is on the main island of Honshu.

The Japanese Olympic Committee rejected the concept of a joint bid last month, saying it is not in a position to go against the Olympic Charter, which stipulates only one city can host.

http://www.nj.com/sportsflash/index.ssf?/b...torylist=sports

They just can't deal with reality, can they.

The JOC should just bar them from anything for blatantly disregarding their decision on why they can't have a joint bid & shamelessly going behind their backs. If Tokyo bids, maybe Hiro/Naga could've hosted some soccer prelims, but now just forget it. They're becoming like elementary school brats.

Nagasaki drops plans to bid for 2020 Olympics

January 15 - Nagasaki will not proceed with a plan to make a joint bid with Hiroshima for the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games, Mayor Tomihisa Taue announced today.

As long as the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Charter - which states that only one city from each country may bid on the Games - remains unchanged, Taue claimed it would be impossible for them to host the event.

The Nagasaki Mayor said that further action on an Olympic bid would be up to the bid committee, chaired by Hiroshima Mayor Tadatoshi Akiba, but that Nagasaki would do everything in its power to support a bid by Hiroshima.

He said: "If Hiroshima officially decides to bid [on the Games], then we will do everything we can in support."

http://www.insidethegames.biz/index.php?op...&Itemid=285

• 1 month later...

Well, having spent the week in Tokyo, once again I'm just confirmed in my opinion that it's one of those cities with the capabilities to host the Olympics with barely a glint of sweat at the effort.

Sure, it's not the prettiest of cities in most places (but neither is LA, for example), but it just has that whole amazing energy and vibrancy. I can seem chaotic and daunting, but it works ... very well. I really think the two wek gams influx would be handled like just a minor blip on its normal operating efficiencies.

Didn't see any word of intentions or desires, though, scanning through the Japan Daily and Yomiuri Shimbun in the hotel

• 2 weeks later...

Hiroshima assembly rejects budgets for 2020 Olympics bid

Thursday 25th March, 10:06 AM JST

The Hiroshima City Council rejected city office budgets needed for its bid to host the 2020 Summer Olympic Games at its special committee Thursday, deflating hopes of staging a Games dedicated to nuclear disarmament in the city, which was devastated by atomic bombing in 1945.

A motion to omit the 25.69 million yen for formulating the basic plan, running an exploratory committee and covering other costs for hosting the Olympics from the city’s fiscal 2010 budget bill passed the special budget committee comprising all 54 council members except its chairman.

The motion, which was submitted Tuesday by two conservative factions in the council, on the basis that the cash-strapped city can hardly host the Olympics amid a dearth of local public support, is now expected to clear a plenary session Friday.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/sports/view/hiroshima-assembly-rejects-budgets-for-2020-olympics-bid

Tokyo would be a strong contender, and hopefully they have learned some lessons from the 2016 race. I still feel that 2020 is too soon for a summer games in Asia, but the IOC sure seems to like giving the YOG to Asian cities.

How is 12 years too soon. Asia is the largest population base, the largest market, where most of the new sponsors are from, and has more potential hosts than other places.

Asia deserves the Olympics more often than the Americas, Africa and Oceania and its about time hosting reflected this.

• Like 3

Realistically, only three countries in Asia are capable of hosting right now. 2020 may not be too soon (I am sure my feelings will be different four years from now as Beijing becomes more of a blur), but I think that all depends on PC 2018. The IOC probably won't feel that 2020 is too soon if PC doesn't win. In fact, if Tokyo put in a bid for 2020, they could very easily have the strongest bid. Of course a South African bid would have the strongest sentiment factor.

I guess my view is that if North America has to wait over 20+ years (maybe even 30+ years), then Asia should have to wait at least 20 years too. By the way, I lean toward grouping Oceania along with Asian rotation (considering time zones). Just as others will now group South America along with North America.

If I give it more thought, 2020 is really not too soon, but I would just prefer North America to host before Asia (don't know if that would actually happen though).

Hiroshima mayor sets assembly revote on budget for 2020 Olympics bid

HIROSHIMA, March 27 KYODO

Hiroshima Mayor Tadatoshi Akiba vetoed on Friday the city council's decision earlier in the day to scrap the city government's draft budget for its bid to host the 2020 Summer Olympics.

http://home.kyodo.co.jp/modules/fstStory/index.php?storyid=492571

Mayor Akiba had declared yesterday:

"I am extremely disappointed at the decision," said Akiba. "We will explore all possible avenues in order to find the best solution.

"I am determined to keep striving to ensure Hiroshima doesn't have to abandon its dream of hosting the Olympics

"We will examine ways to raise funds. We have had a lot of public backing."

http://www.morethanthegames.co.uk/other-sports/2610100-budget-cut-leaves-hiroshimas-hopes-staging-2020-olympics-tatters

You gotta give the Hiroshima mayor full marks for tenacity. Reminds of how Fukuoka took it all the way up to Tokyo in the right for winning the JOC's 2016 bid. And I really haven't heard much coming out of Tokyo about bidding.

You know, I wouldn't mind if Hiroshima got the go to bid. It may not be an alpha city, but like most larger Japanese cities, I'd be pretty confident it would have the wherewithall to come up with a decent plan - and it does have a symbolism that can work to offset some of that alpha/glamour lack of profile.

And if it doesn't win, well Japan's set to be able to wheel out its top gun again from 2024 onwards with the benefit of a bit of IOC bonding behind it.

Edited by Sir Roltel

You know, I wouldn't mind if Hiroshima got the go to bid. It may not be an alpha city, but like most larger Japanese cities, I'd be pretty confident it would have the wherewithall to come up with a decent plan - and it does have a symbolism that can work to offset some of that alpha/glamour lack of profile.

Really? :blink:

I wouldn't (even with that 'symbolism', & it's definitely not an Alpha city). Just like I wouldn't like to see a Leipzig or a Marseille, nor a Minneapolis nor a Detroit nor a Pittsburgh nor a Birmingham, UK/US nor a Tulsa. And I'm sure you wouldn't either, especially the last two.

Really? :blink:

I wouldn't (even with that 'symbolism', & it's definitely not an Alpha city). Just like I wouldn't like to see a Leipzig or a Marseille, nor a Minneapolis nor a Detroit nor a Pittsburgh nor a Birmingham, UK/US nor a Tulsa. And I'm sure you wouldn't either, especially the last two.

I recognise the difficulty of a second-tier city to come out on top. But it's not impossible, and second-tierers have given us such landmark and memorable games as Barcelona. When done well, they can create a city's reputation. I'm just not against second-tier cities for the sake of it, and think many would be just as capable logistically as an alpha-city. For all the Tulsa's of the world, there's plenty of second-tierers of the likes of Manchester, Milan, Hamburg or Boston who I think could shine in the role of olymp;ic Host if they ever overcame the hurdles and got the chance.

As I said before, organisationally, I'd have full confidence in most Japanese cities being capable. I'd probably prefer others over Hiroshima, but as i said, at least it's symbolism is immediately obvious everywhere in the world. And if they got the JOC's nod, why not (like Reno), go for it? They could spring a surprise win and probably do a good job. More likely they'd probably miss out, but set up some browny points for the JOC's next tilt. If Hiroshima's so keen as the mayor seems to indicate, let them have a chance. You never know what a bid can yield.

And, sure, the competition might be fierce, but anything can happen. And I'm one of the ones anyway who thinks Cape Town's chances of following immediately in Rio's footsteps in 2020 are vastly over-estimated here. Even if Hiroshima does come up against a Rome (my early pick), Cape Town, Madrid, and, say, Toronto, I wouldn't count it as a favourite but I wouldn't discount it's chances either (until I've seen how the campaign goes).

Edited by Sir Roltel

Well, we've all here have already discussed b4 why 2nd-tier cities like Barcelona & Atlanta got the Games (JAS, & How successful L.A. '84 was, some compelling points for Atlanta, & Athens was simply just not ready for '96). But while, like you, I'm not necessarily against 2nd-tier cities, either, Hiroshima is not even that. Hiroshima is a 3rd-tier city at best. If the JOC was going to go with another city besides Tokyo, it should be Osaka. That's Japan's 2nd-tier city, not Hiroshima. Hiroshima is more in line with Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Winnepeg, Perth, Manchester, Brasila & Wenzhou.

I would seem to think that the IOC might also even take offense if all the other NOC's that went in for 2020 all threw in their premier, 1st rate cities & then Japan just gives them Hiroshima. Almost like Germany giving the IOC Leipzig for 2012 against the likes of Paris, Madrid, London, New York & Moscow. In a strong field like this, the IOC would discard Hiroshima like they did Leipzig. And Germany, just like Japan, also have very good organizational skills.

I'm also going by the premise, that several years ago, when the BOA was thinking about another bid (a few years after their failed Birmingham & Manchester bids) that the IOC pretty much told the BOA if they wanted any chance of success, their next bid city should be London. So just going by that alone, the IOC is not interested in smaller tier cities of respective countries nowdays.

I would seem to think that the IOC might also even take offense if all the other NOC's that went in for 2020 all threw in their premier, 1st rate cities & then Japan just gives them Hiroshima. Almost like Germany giving the IOC Leipzig for 2012 against the likes of Paris, Madrid, London, New York & Moscow. In a strong field like this, the IOC would discard Hiroshima like they did Leipzig. And Germany, just like Japan, also have very good organizational skills.

I'm also going by the premise, that several years ago, when the BOA was thinking about another bid (a few years after their failed Birmingham & Manchester bids) that the IOC pretty much told the BOA if they wanted any chance of success, their next bid city should be London. So just going by that alone, the IOC is not interested in smaller tier cities of respective countries nowdays.

I don't think it's a case of the IOC taking offence and feeling insulted if a country doesn't dish up their brightest and biggest. A bid's a bid, and if it mets the ctiteria, a Barcelona or an Atlanta can win through. It requires the cards to all fall out right, but any winning bid, alpha or beta, requires that so many factors fall into place.

I don't think the advice the BOA was given was because the IOC was feeling insulted. The BOA at that time were probably going by the prevailing wisdom of the time that it was better to go with a fresh face rather than a repeat bidder. Hence the proliferation of Lilles and Leipzigs, Brisbanes and Birminghams. I think it was more just some serious advice, that if the UK was really passionate about getting the games, London's status was by then far out-weighing any historical baggage.

I don't think it's a case of the IOC taking offence and feeling insulted if a country doesn't dish up their brightest and biggest. A bid's a bid, and if it mets the ctiteria, a Barcelona or an Atlanta can win through. It requires the cards to all fall out right, but any winning bid, alpha or beta, requires that so many factors fall into place.

I'd agree if everything was relative. i.e. Hiroshima against Minneapolis, Detroit, Lyon or Stuttgart, Perth, etc. Hiroshima it too little league to play a big league game. It's not even a Beta city. It's Gamma, at best. Again, if it were Osaka, I'd totally agree (which you have even indicated that it would be a much better choice).

And perhaps 'insulted' is too strong a word, but certainly the interesting take the IOC took in advising the BOA of their suggestion indicates something. Arguably, the only Gamma cities to have ever hosted the Summer Olympics were St. Louis, Antwerp & Helsinki. And even at the time they all hosted, they were probably appropiate.