• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How is 12 years too soon. Asia is the largest population base, the largest market, where most of the new sponsors are from, and has more potential hosts than other places. Asia deserves the Olympics

Tokyo 2020 Games bid to become official soon The Tokyo metropolitan government has decided to bid to host the 2020 Summer Olympics, and an official announcement is likely later this month, according

Consultants strategy meeting in Istanbul

If you considered that it could spell out 14 guaranteed votes, I'd say thats a huge coup for Istanbul. That, coupled with the geographic ambiguity of Turkey, puts Istanbul in the best position of all three. Madrid is an outright block to Europe 2024 - Tokyo blocks the rest of Asia out until the 2030's (as far as SOG is concerned), so Istanbul is neither here nor there in that regard.

If all these factors come together in Istanbul's favour, then it might be a landslide - perhaps not to the extent of Beijing, but I don't think Istanbul-Tokyo will be tight like 2012 was.

Edited by runningrings

If you considered that it could spell out 14 guaranteed votes, I'd say thats a huge coup for Istanbul. That, coupled with the geographic ambiguity of Turkey, puts Istanbul in the best position of all three. Madrid is an outright block to Europe 2024 - Tokyo blocks the rest of Asia out until the 2030's (as far as SOG is concerned), so Istanbul is neither here nor there in that regard.

If all these factors come together in Istanbul's favour, then it might be a landslide - perhaps not to the extent of Beijing, but I don't think Istanbul-Tokyo will be tight like 2012 was.

Are you suggesting Muslims will vote for other Muslims solely because they are Muslim independent of the quality of the bid at hand? Could Muslims IOC voters not vote for Madrid too or Tokyo or are they considered too infidelish?

oakydoky, on 03 May 2013 - 11:10 PM, said:

Are you suggesting Muslims will vote for other Muslims solely because they are Muslim independent of the quality of the bid at hand? Could Muslims IOC voters not vote for Madrid too or Tokyo or are they considered too infidelish?

The IOC, like any voting body, has voting patterns that reflects blocs. This is evident in the way cities are eliminated in early rounds, causing great shifts in support for other cities. There is the former Soviet Bloc, there is the Latin/Lusosphere bloc, Arab bloc, East Asian bloc, Pacific, European/ English-speaking (predominantly Christian?) bloc, and a Muslim bloc.

Are you really suggesting that every Olympic host is elected solely on the "quality of the bid at hand"? If so, you're delusional and have little understanding of how this process works. It is ultimately organic and sometimes arbitrary.

Edited by runningrings

The IOC, like any voting body, has voting patterns that reflects blocs. This is evident in the way cities are eliminated in early rounds, causing great shifts in support for other cities. There is the former Soviet Bloc, there is the Latin/Lusosphere bloc, Arab bloc, East Asian bloc, Pacific, European/ English-speaking (predominantly Christian?) bloc, and a Muslim bloc.

Are you really suggesting that every Olympic host is elected solely on the "quality of the bid at hand". If so, you're delusional and have little understanding of how this process works. It is ultimately organic and sometimes arbitrary.

I never suggested anything mate. I merely highlighted your words and asked a question based on what you wrote. Sincerely, thank you for answering it. Sadly I suspect the infidel-hating brigade will vote in blocs and humanity will be lumbered with Istanbul. So much for utopian libertarian values -- here comes Allah's games.

oakydoky, on 03 May 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

I never suggested anything mate. I merely highlighted your words and asked a question based on what you wrote.

No, you took what I said and contorted it to push your own tired, rabid agenda. Yet again. It is very boring.

I simply referenced voting blocs that WILL influence this decision, like it has in the past (Rio 2016?) and you are the one that brought the whole irrelevant Tokyo/Madrid "infidel" garbage into the equation. You were trolling and I took it, hook, line and sinker.

Sincerely, thank you for answering it. Sadly I suspect the infidel-hating brigade will vote in blocs and humanity will be lumbered with Istanbul. So much for utopian libertarian values -- here comes Allah's games.

drama_queen1.jpg

No, you took what I said and contorted it to push your own tired, rabid agenda. Yet again. It is very boring.

I simply referenced voting blocs that WILL influence this decision, like it has in the past (Rio 2016?) and you are the one that brought the whole irrelevant Tokyo/Madrid "infidel" garbage into the equation. You were trolling and I took it, hook, line and sinker.

drama_queen1.jpg

Nope.

I asked you a question which you had implied via your post. I merely asked for clarification hence why I asked "are you suggesting....". I also thanked you for answering and clarifying. And as it happens I happen to agree with your bloc voting assertion.

So?

Nope.

I asked you a question which you had implied via your post. I merely asked for clarification hence why I asked "are you suggesting....". I also thanked you for answering and clarifying. And as it happens I happen to agree with your bloc voting assertion.

So?

* as for you infidel garbage remarks. i agree -- Muslims have no right to call anyone infidels as it's derogatory. But as well all know, Muslims do call non muslims infidels. Hence, Tokyo and Madrid are bids of the infidel. What I said was correct even it it sits uncomfortably with you.

This is getting ridiculously petty. You're twisting words and over-analysing out of context to support your own unhinged, jaundiced view of the world.<br /><br />I won't be drawn into this any further.<br />

lol. I agree with your assertion of bloc voting. Can you hear that -- I agree with you. I merely asked for clarification of your point because you weren't clear on it. Strike me down Allah and deprive me of my 72 virgins because I thought that's what discussion forums were for -- discussions.

Abe, Turkish PM joke over Olympic bid rivalry

ANKARA — Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said Friday he would be “the first to applaud” if Istanbul is chosen to host the 2020 Olympics.

Tokyo and Madrid are also bidding for the games.

“If Istanbul wins the right to host the Olympic Games, I will be the first to applaud it,” the state-run Anadolu Agency quoted Abe as saying. “I have no doubt that Turkey would be the first to applaud if Tokyo wins.”

Abe appeared to be trying to make amends for remarks by the governor of Tokyo, Naoki Inose, who suggested in an interview with the New York Times that Istanbul was less developed and less equipped to host the games than the Japanese capital.

Inose was also quoted as saying “the only thing (Muslim countries) share in common is Allah and they are fighting with each other, and they have classes.”

The governor later apologized and Turkey said it accepted the apology.

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan later jokingly said he had asked Abe to withdraw Tokyo’s bid, sparking laughter from an audience of journalists, bureaucrats and businessmen.

“I told him that Japan has already hosted the Olympic Games; you should withdraw so that Turkey can host the Olympic Games,” Erdogan said. “It would be good if they could also convey this message to the Tokyo governor.”

Abe responded: “That was in 1964 and I was a child at that time. We would like to ensure that the Japanese people enjoy the pleasure of the games.”

Tokyo is bidding for a second straight time after a failed attempt for the 2016 Games, which went to Rio de Janeiro. Istanbul is bidding for a fifth time for its first games.

AP

http://www.japantoday.com/category/politics/view/abe-turkish-pm-joke-over-olympic-bid-rivalry

While "voting blocs" have been discussed here before, & may seem good in theory, it's really hard to say that's how every member votes. I think that's too simplistic, (regardless of how the cities are eliminated, since a lot of the time those first rounds could just be "sympathy" votes) since IOC members are individuals that often times vote for their own personal agendas &/or for the interest of their own NOC's rather than by "blocs".

So with that said, there's about 15 IOC members from predominately Muslim nations. So Turkey's member can't vote since Istanbul is on the ballot, & can't vote unless, in the unlikely event, Istanbul got eliminated & another round was required. So can we absolutely say that the rest of these 14 members would "automatically" vote for Istanbul simply bcuz they're Muslim? I don't think so. What about the members of Qatar, the UAE or Morocco, who have Olympic hosting aspirations of their own? Since two consecutive Muslim hosts seem extremely unlikly, no matter how ambiguous Istanbul's location is.

And what about the other members from the more hard-line Muslim countries that might not like Turkey's "secular" set up? That's why I see "blocs" as too ambiguous in itself to determine anything definitive. It's like saying that all the "Latin votes" would automatically go to Madrid. If that's the case, the Spanish bid has more of a chance than we've been talking about for months solely based on that. Or Tokyo automatically getting all the "Asian votes". I doubt China would be voting for them for starters. There's much more complexity in the IOC's political landscape that determines the final outcome that I don't see it as easy as voting blocs. Perhaps in some cases that may have been so, but I don't think that's a general rule to every bidding race.

FYI - pretty well spot on analysis, all I was originally pointing out is that it will be interesting to see how (in such a small bidding race) these common grounds play out. We've already had Egypt speak in favour of Istanbul 2020 as being a positive thing for the self esteem of the region. But are right about the Gulf States, cities like Dubai and Doha must feel somewhat undermined by what Istanbul is potentially about to achieve. Culturally, and Istanbul Olympics could set them back 12 to 20 years - although there is no reason why bidding couldn't start from a city like Dubai for 2024, it just might appear a bit of a Madrid 2016 following London.

Oaky Dokey - Yes this is a forum for discussions, but I do not wish to take it further as its way off topic, and an Olympic discussion board is not a place for you to preach your extremist views. Try Stormfront.

Edited by runningrings

Oaky Dokey - Yes this is a forum for discussions, but I do not wish to take it further as its way off topic, and an Olympic discussion board is not a place for you to preach your extremist views. Try Stormfront.

lol.

Quoting from the koran and what it says makes me an extremist? pmsl. I guess all those historians quoting Mein Kampf in their analysis of Hitler are the real extremists and not the actual person/ppl who wrote it? Great logic mate. Great Logic -- Muslims worship a Koran which teaches that Jews descended from pigs, I quote it exactly as it's written in the Koran, and instead of confronting why Muslims wroship such hate, I'm the bad guy for quoting what that religion preaches. I can see Mensa in your future.......

We have a Turkish Olympic bid. Turkey is a predominantly Muslim country and secular in name only. Recently, Turkey has tried to pass, via the U.N, laws prohibiting free speech in relation to its beloved religion (even though we're told it's a secular state so shouldn't care about trying to pass this law around the globe). It's absolutely acceptable to discuss this issue as it's pertinent to the issues at hand. And it you don't like it -- tough.

Maybe you're a muslim who is blindly defending the religion of hate thus is offended by me 'keepin' it real dawg' or maybe you're just a liberal nutjob who thinks that if he/she/it pretends Islam isn't connected to terrorism and pretends this isn't related to the Olympic bid, it will all go away. If it's the later, may I suggest you do some reading on the subject instead of posturing as some kind of pseudo-enlightened Bohemian Sydney-sider who is defending a barbaric culture despite the truth regarding it.

P.S This is the second time you've said you're not taking it further after another attempted funny comment completely devoid of meaning. Continue drinkin' the kool aid mate.

I think there's a middle ground between yours and runningrings point of view on this though and that's probably where I'd sit.

There's already sort-of a thread for this anyway which I started about Turkey's slow slide away from its secular foundations, so perhaps it's best to carry on the discussion there.

http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/topic/22619-blasphemy-laws-in-turkey/

Edited by RobH

Erdogan is very gradually retuning to a more fundamentalist and somewhat xenophobic approach. To me, he appears to be undoing a lot of the progress made by his predecessors.

I don't think this will lose the Games for Istanbul, but it is disheartening.

Well, xenophobic is probably putting it too strongly, but it's definitely more conservative and more Islamic.

Muslims worship a Koran which teaches that Jews descended from pigs, I quote it exactly as it's written in the Koran

You turned it around .. the story in the Quran was about some Jewish or actually " children of Israel " at the time of prophet Moses in Islam

those people disobedience to God's ( Allah ) command so the god has punished them and turned them to monkeys and pigs

the story ended when they were turned to monkeys and pigs .. and those do not have any human children after they were turned to animals

they have no relation with any other Jews whether at the time of Moses or any later time

there are many interpretations of this story but it is in Arabic so I doubt you will understand if I give you any links to Arabic pages
  • 3 weeks later...
Abenomics gives Tokyo 2020 reason to be hopeful
Japan's first quarter success should give Tokyo 2020 a boost in the eyes of the IOC
CHAD WISE / Sports Features Communications
POSTED: May 18th 2013
(SFC) Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s “Abenomics” economics policy has resulted in a 3.5% rise in the gross domestic product of the Land of the Rising Sun, Bloomberg reports.
Though Chinese economy has slowed in the first quarter, Japan’s growth has exceeded 34 of 36 estimates in a Bloomberg News survey. Private consumption has contributed 2.3 percentage points and the Bank of Japan plans to double its monetary base. The yen has weakened 16% against the dollar and 14% against the euro.
“Tokyo is a key business hub in Asia where numerous global companies in a range of industries have their headquarters,” Tokyo Governor Naoki Inose said. “I am pleased to see our economy gaining further momentum, and backed by a massive $4.5 billion Games hosting fund, Tokyo 2020’s impressive financial base provides rock-solid foundation for hosting an amazing 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games. Put simply, we are ready to deliver.”
Department store spending and consumer confidence climbed in the first quarter of the year, and a weaker yen and extra stores should result in a record profit boost.
The news of Japan’s economic success comes just months before the International Olympic Committee’s decision as to who will host the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Summer Games. Tokyo is bidding against Madrid and Istanbul, another city with a booming economy, and will find out who will be awarded hosting rights at the 125th IOC Session in Buenos Aires this September.
“Japan’s rising GDP clearly supports the Bid’s ability to deliver a dynamic and spectacular celebration for the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games,” Tokyo 2020 Chief Executive Officer Masato Mizuno said. “With our financial strength firmly in place, we can focus on delivering superb Games that promote Olympic values for new generations in this challenging and fast-changing era for sport.”

Can't be anymore boring than Madrid's "'fiscally responsible Games".

"We know you like 'fabulous Games', IOC, but please tighten your belt this time around so we can have this moment to shine (but on a low budget, of course). Please give us the Games so they can jumpstart our dragging economy. Oh, & btw, we're so jealous of Barcelona, that's why we really want the Games, too. To finally show those damn Catalonian's, yeah!"

Istanbul is Tokyo's only threat, but I still wouldn't call it. It's between the largest, global metropolis in the world, or the largest, exotic metropolis in the Mediterranean. And the Castillians will be left to smell the fumes once again.

• Like 1

Consultants strategy meeting in Istanbul

destroy-tokyo.jpg?w=600

"As always, I'll take care of the capital...but Mothra, you want Tokyo Disneyland or Fukushima again? Gamera, Sapporo or Nagano? Pikachu, Okinawa or..."

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1