Japan 2020

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the European bids were from Paris or Berlin Tokyo would have a difficult time. Who knows what will happen in the next couple of years but against Rome and Madrid Tokyo could be very strong.

Yes. Too bad about their somewhat iffy logo, but I don't think it's really going to matter at all in the scheme of things. It feels like the stars are aligning....

Just came across this piece from the Wall Street Journal Japan:

Will Tokyo Get the 2020 Olympics?

Tokyo took the wraps off its official campaign logo to be used in its pursuit to host the 2020 Olympic Games on Wednesday – a multi-colored garland of cherry blossoms.

The capital was the first bid city to unveil its logo as it goes up against five rivals spread across Europe, the Middle East and Asia – Baku, Doha, Istanbul, Madrid and Rome.

Designed by Ai Shimamine, a 22-year-old art student in Tokyo whose work was selected in a competition open to the public, the image of the country’s iconic flower is painted in the colors of the Olympic rings, though black is replaced with “Tokyo purple,” according to a release from the official bidding committee. The symbol has apparently been shaped to represent the notion of “coming full circle,” in tandem with the bidding team’s notion that staging the games for the first time since 1964 will help rejuvenate Japan in the wake of the March 11 disasters.

This time around, the International Olympic Committee will formally decide which places to approve as candidate cities in May next year, with a final decision not due until September 2013.

But the omens for Tokyo are mixed, at best, despite city Governor Shintaro Ishihara’s determination to host the 2020 game “at any cost”. The city also made a failed bid to win the nomination for the 2016 games, losing out in the second round of voting, despite Gov. Ishihara’s championing of an effort that cost nearly $200 million.

WSJ

Okay, not much new there, but what did catch my eye was the mention of $200 million spent on the 2016 bid!! That seems incredibly excessive - has anyone else seen that figure before? And if it is true, what did they spend it on? Tokyo's seemed by far the least high profile, in marketing, of the 2016 bids.

Just came across this piece from the Wall Street Journal Japan:

Okay, not much new there, but what did catch my eye was the mention of $200 million spent on the 2016 bid!! That seems incredibly excessive - has anyone else seen that figure before? And if it is true, what did they spend it on? Tokyo's seemed by far the least high profile, in marketing, of the 2016 bids.

Those figures are rounded off so cavalierly. I had a figure of $176 million (which already seemed excessive). ANd then I found something else that said their warchest was 10 Billion yen which indeed would have given them something like $276 million to start with. The source I read however did not say how much was spent for 2016. $200 million seems really, really wild to me. I think if we half the $176 million, they could have spent something like--OK a little more than CHicago's $76 mil, $80-85 mil perhaps...leaving them with some $90 million to wage 2020 with. I think the rates of conversion are where the confusion lies.

Even at the $80 million range, that's sure some budget - and i really didn't see much from the 2016 campaign that suggested they were spending cash so freely. Don't tell me they blew it all on their karaoke video?

Interesting that Madrid thinks they're gonna get by on the $35 million they're allocating now. Almost makes me hope they win through.

Yeah, their 2016 campaign seemed so restrained and low-key in keeping with their character. And after the disaster earlier this year, I don't see how in all conscience they could hang on to $100 million...whereas they could've gained a lot of goodwill for this next round if they had made a big to-do about donating like $50 million to the victims and the area INSTEAD of spending it all on another PR campaign. They're still inscrutable.

Even at the $80 million range, that's sure some budget - and i really didn't see much from the 2016 campaign that suggested they were spending cash so freely. Don't tell me they blew it all on their karaoke video?

Interesting that Madrid thinks they're gonna get by on the $35 million they're allocating now. Almost makes me hope they win through.

Agreed. I like a show as much as the next guy, but I have to say that I'm becoming pro-fiscal responsibility. I'd like to see somebody win who doesn't spend an arm and a leg on their bid, who puts forward a beautifully thought out plan that makes good use of existing venues and only promises genuinely useful infrastructure improvements.

The thing that's odd is that this practical scenario is a far-fetched fairytale, whereas the lavish fantasies stand the best chance of becoming reality. The IOC has it backwards.

Masato Mizuno mentioned 150 million spent on 2016 bid

(Reuters) - Tokyo will halve the cost of the city's bid to host the 2020 Olympics after criticism of the $150 million (95.6 million pounds) spent on its failed attempt to secure the 2016 Games.

Bid committee CEO Masato Mizuno told Reuters on Friday that Tokyo planned to slash spending and still launch a vastly improved challenge for 2020.

"That's my mission," Mizuno said in an interview at Tokyo Metropolitan Government headquarters. "This time we plan to cut the budget in half.

"The last time was about $150 million. On the first round (of voting) we learned a lot about financial management, so for the second round we have to be much smarter.

"Like in daily life, if you have enough money: 'Hey, why don't we have steak?' But this time the budget is small so we go to find nice noodles -- okay."

Plans to build a gleaming, flying saucer-shaped Olympic stadium on Tokyo Bay, outlined in the city's 2016 bid, could be scrapped, however.

"The IOC had issues with the seafront stadium because it was surrounded by water on three sides," said Mizuno. "They were worried about a stampede in the case of an emergency."

SENTIMENTAL CHOICE

Tokyo's National Stadium, the main venue for the 1964 Olympics, would need a major facelift and expansion but remains a sentimental choice.

"If the 1964 stadium can be used, I would be happy," Mizuno said, saying no decision had been made regarding the main stadium. "It is under discussion."

Public support, currently hovering above 60 percent according to Mizuno, remains critical, with Japan's bid leaders targeting a figure of 65-75 percent.

"Seventy percent is a line we would like to cross," he said, noting that it had hovered around 55 percent in the run-up to the IOC vote for 2016.

Mizuno promised that the city's Games budget would be watertight, with $4.8 billion already in the bank, but admitted Tokyo's bid team needed to improve their lobbying skills.

"Look at Pyeongchang," gushed Mizuno, pointing to South Korea's successful 2018 Winter Olympics bid.

"(Korean Olympic Committee president) Mr. Park (Yong-sung) is a very open person and friendly and straight with everyone.

"We are putting that sort of team together. It will be a very tough race," added Mizuno, with Rome and Madrid expected to give Tokyo a run for its money for 2020.

"Some people say the Japanese are not outgoing, hesitate to speak or be open. We can't just say: 'Hello. How are you? Nice to meet you. Bye bye.' That's not lobbying.

"We have to build friendship, trust and understanding to prove Tokyo will make the ideal Olympic venue and has the best package."

Reuters

• 2 months later...

Tokyo bidding committee to submit the application file on 13rd

Tokyo 2020 Bid Committee announced today 9th that will submit the application file to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) on 13rd, the deadline is 15th this month. Bidding Committe's Director Yasuhiro Nakamori will delivery the files to the IOC headquarters in Lausanne, Switzerland.

Based on the application files, the IOC will make the short list in next May. Tokyo's bidding committee will publish the contents of the file application on the 16th.

13日に申請ファイル提出 東京招致委

2012.2.9 17:10

2020年夏季五輪の東京招致委員会は9日、今月15日が国際オリンピック委員会(IOC)への提出期限の申請ファイルを13日に提出すると発表した。中森康弘招致委理事らがスイス・ローザンヌのIOC本部に持参する。

IOCは開催計画概要を示した申請ファイルを基に、5月に第1次選考を行う。東京招致委は16日に申請ファイルの内容を公表する。

http://sankei.jp.msn...17100010-n1.htm

• 3 months later...

Tokyo bid chief says 2020 'last chance'

May 29 (Reuters) - Tokyo's 2020 Olympic bid leader Tsunekazu Takeda has said that another failure to land the Games would mean a very long wait to host the world's biggest sporting spectacle.

"It's our last chance," Takeda told Reuters on Tuesday. "We'll win. We have to win. With the rotation of the Olympics it will be many years before Tokyo can go for it again.

"For (our generation) it's the last chance," said the Japanese Olympic Committee president, while adding Tokyo was in better shape this time after its failed 2016 bid.

"We have a better bid this time. We have kept the best components and improved all other areas. We have the experience and we're very confident."

Tokyo faces competition from Madrid, who also lost out to Rio de Janeiro in the race for 2016, and Istanbul after Doha and the Azerbaijan capital Baku were dropped last week.

International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Jacques Rogge raised concerns about Japan's power supply following last year's deadly tsunami and resulting nuclear power crisis.

"The Olympics would use only 0.1 percent of Tokyo's total electric capacity," said Takeda after unveiling the bid's latest candidate city emblem.

Japan used to derive around one third of its electricity from nuclear power before the meltdown at a power plant north of Tokyo triggered by the giant tsunami wave.

The government pulled the plug on Japan's 50 reactors with no word yet on when, or if, they plan to restart them.

"The Olympics are in 2020," said Takeda. "The energy-saving measures put in place since the disaster will ensure that power shortages won't be an issue."

Reuters

Some controversial statements from Tokyo governor Shotaro Ishirahara about the lack of support to the olympic bid, though I dunno if taking this seriously :lol: (besides, this website is full of some unpleasant content, I wouldnt recomend getting on in a public place)

Ishihara: “Tokyoites Aren’t The Same Race As The Japanese!”

Tokyo’s dear leader Shintaro Ishihara has accused his subjects of “having become a different race to the rest of the Japanese” after they angered him by refusing to display sufficient enthusiasm for his 2020 Olympic bid.

His comments come after the IOC surveyed citizens of the three candidate cities for the 2020 Olympics, and found support amongst the inhabitants of Tokyo (47%) significantly lower than those of Madrid (78%) and Istanbul (73%), which prompted Ishihara to start haranguing the people of Tokyo for “having become a barren race after satisfying their petty greed.”

He revisited the same theme at
:

“The people of the capital are extravagant. They no longer think of anyone but themselves. You know, they’ve become a different race to the rest of the Japanese people.”

At the same press conference, it was suggested to him that the low approval rating for the bid was due to dislike for him – to which he wryly responded: “If by quitting the approval rate would go up and the games’d come here, I’d quit tomorrow!”

The survey did not ask why the inhabitants of Tokyo were so ambivalent about hosting the world’s biggest televised sponsorship event, but it seems likely that in the absence of lust for national prestige, practical objections to spending billions of dollars of public cash on building extravagant sports facilities for the purpose of a single event whilst simultaneously swamping the city’s infrastructure with visitors and building work may weigh heavily on their minds.

Their apathy to the bid might be well founded – should Tokyo host the Olympics, Ishihara would rather the people of Tokyo stay away anyway: “If Tokyo gets the Olympics, the people of Tokyo needn’t come!” – words which

In matters not providing much opportunity to bash Korea or China, even 2ch is scathing of his latest senile outbursts:

“The real extravagance is squandering billions on this bid, isn’t it?”

“The Olympic bid is Ishihara’s petty greed…”

“Ah, so the people of Tokyo weren’t Japanese after all!”

“It’s quite funny listening to this guy bang on like this.”

“Nobody cares about the Olympics.”

“Since when did being opposed to hosting the Olympics become ‘extravagance’?”

“The old fool just wants to pour more cash into road building to help his friends in the construction industry.”

“A pawn of the banks, looking to further bury the nation in debt?”

“Classic example of the harm caused by these elderly fools. Anyone who doesn’t agree with him is no good or not even Japanese. Oh, wait, that’s just how people thought when he was young…”

“I don’t know about the benefits to the nation and business, but to the people of the capital it’s nothing but a hassle. Just a bunch of construction projects all over the place.”

“Ishihara thinks only of himself. He’s actually a good symbol for the people of Tonkin” ["Tonkin" is recent derogatory slang for Tokyo, based on either the Chinese or Vietnamese pronunciation of the "eastern capital" characters which make up the city's name]

“Don’t call in a bunch of foreigners just when we’re expecting a huge earthquake under the capital…”

“He doesn’t care about the sports. He just wants an excuse to upgrade the city’s older infrastructure. If there’s a major quake the older stuff will be ruined.”

“He’s gotten full of himself after the Senkaku purchase declaration. I can sympathise over a territorial issue, but this is a different story. And if the people of Tokyo don’t attend, nobody from the regions is going to either!”

“If he doesn’t want them to come, he should hold it on the island he’s going buy down there.”

“How did the people of Tokyo elect this guy? He doesn’t even recognise them as being Japanese…”

“They elected him 4 times… pretty amazing really.”

Archived