Japan 2020

Second try for another Asian city.

Well, it would actually be Tokyo's 4th try. They were already designated in 1940; but then their friends in Europe started something called World War 2. So they tried again for 1964 and got it. 2016 was their 3rd try; and then now.

See, based on that...I would give it to Rome.

If Istanbul were in there, I'd vote for Istanbul.

If Durban were running, then obviously, it should go to Durban.

Basically, Rome, Tokyo and Madrid (because of Barcelona) are already repeating hosts. And Tokyo and Rome have also had 2 Winters each.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So we went from just 1 for the longest time, now to 3 all of the sudden. See, this is starting to heat up already.

And a lot of people were saying that nobody, other than Rome, was going to bid for the 2020 Games. We could easily have 1 or 2 more on the last day of the deadline. Istanbul I'm sure, will follow suit soon enough, now that Madrid & Tokyo have declared their bids.

...all we need is Chicago to jump in, and we would have all the rejects from 2016. :lol:

I welcome Tokyo's bid, as it makes this race more interesting. I have my doubts about them winning, and foresee public support being their biggest issue to overcome. I mean if my home was ruined by the earthquake, and help was not coming to my community, I would seriously be asking why are they spending $100+ million on just a bid for a sporting event. They had the lowest public support in the 2016 race, and it will be interesting to see where public support ends up in this time around.

Well, it would actually be Tokyo's 4th try. They were already designated in 1940; but then their friends in Europe started something called World War 2. So they tried again for 1964 and got it. 2016 was their 3rd try; and then now.

See, based on that...I would give it to Rome.

If Istanbul were in there, I'd vote for Istanbul.

If Durban were running, then obviously, it should go to Durban.

Basically, Rome, Tokyo and Madrid (because of Barcelona) are already repeating hosts. And Tokyo and Rome have also had 2 Winters each.

Tokyo also tried for the 1960 Games, but lost to guess who... Rome.

Don't forget that Japan put up Nagoya for 1988 and Osaka for 2008. Both lost handily to Seoul and Beijing.

1. Tokyo also tried for the 1960 Games, but lost to guess who... Rome.

2. Don't forget that Japan put up Nagoya for 1988 and Osaka for 2008. Both lost handily to Seoul and Beijing.

1. So this would be their 5th try with one previous success. Not too bad compared to Detroit's 7 misses; LA's 6 (I think--too lazy to look it all up) but with 2 passes; and Paris' I-don't-know-how many in all, but with 2 passes as well.

2. Was aware of those but since they've had 2 Winter Games, I feel those cancel out the losing non-Tokyo bids.

I am going to go on record here and say Jaque Roggue is being completely irresponsible by saying that Tokyo should not be deturred from bidding seeing that Pyeongchang just won the 2018 Winter Olympics and that continental rotation in winter and summer games won't affect the ioc's decision.

Be real Rogue You and I both know the Ioc voters are not about to send the summer games back to asia so soon after Beijing 1 and Pyeongchang 2. I think Rogue is basically blowing smoke in their face because he is telling everyone to bid "We would be delighted with a US bid" "We understand that South Africa has other important priorities but we still have hope that there could be a strong South African bid" come on Tokyo you all fell into a major trap. 2 years is a long time and the sympathy u all built up will give way to reality in 2013

Look at NY and 9/11. Cities were willing to drop out of the race for them after the attacks and then bim bam boom London is chosen instead

To be honest I think this cycle If South Africa doesn't bid it might actually come down to who has the best bid? so Good Luck Tokyo

For a start, I won't say there is no correlation in the choices between Summer and Winter hostings, but it's flexible to say the least. I doubt there'd be too much outcry in back-to-back Euro SOGs-WOGs (as happens), or even Nth American SOGs-WOGs, so why not Asia? There's no doubt PC just before IS a handicap, but not a killer. It's always good to have at least one alternative in a bid race when all the rest are from the same region.

I give it to the Japanese, though, for taking one of the biggest mutterings about the bid -the Tsunami - and meeting it head on as a positive to pitch the bid around (the Olympics will be a chance to rebuild and look optimistically to the future beyond the disaster). Yes, by decision time I think the tsunami only will be a memory and the country well back on its feet, but it's still going to be a good part of the narrative they can push for the next two years. And they can do that because it was a natural disaster. NYC, despite huge sympathy in the immediate aftermath and the famous statement from the Mayor of Rome to just give it to them, was really hampered in being able to use it as a overt pitch because it was a political issue. And anyway, by the time the vote came around in 2005, the Iraq War had played into a negative for many people (and also was used as a negative against London in some quarters).

I think Tokyo will struggle to win against a field that already includes strong Euro bidders who feel the time is right like Rome and Madrid, but, hey, Good luck to 'Em. I wouldn't be at all unhappy to see them win it.

I think my main reason for why i think Continental rotation plays into it is mostly because it's a changing of the times. With the summer games only one continent hasn't hosted it and soon that will be rectified. back in the day you really only had a few countries that could have hosted the games but now a lot more candidates are possible. I mean with countries in the middle east, with tons of money to through at it, China doing an amazing job with 2008 and south america and Africa showing signs of capability to host you have a much wider field to choose from. On the simple merit that their are now more than ever more places to choose from and go to I think it is safe to assume that the IOC will think twice about going to the same continent for both Winter and Summer games.

Even though it appears that there may be more options in this 'new era' of capable hosts, all these new areas that are now possible in hosting a Games still have to wait their turn again in the unofficial continental rotation system anyway. I mean the IOC isn't going to be running back to South America any time soon right after Rio. And in Africa, it's really only South Africa that's capable of hosting.

So while PyeongChang may hinder Tokyo's chances, I don't believe it's a total bid killer And I also think that Beijing is far enough away to even be an issue now. 2016 yes, 2020 not really. We almost had Asian winter/summer back-to-back Games twice. It almost happened for 2000 when Beijing lost by a mere 2 votes, despite 1988 in Seoul & Nagano hosting the Winter Games in 1998. For 2010 PyeongChang almost clenced it despite Beijing 2008 & Nagano 1998.

I still think that Tokyo has a good chance, especially if they have a great bid. PyeongChang is going to be a factor to some of the members, but certainly not to the degree that makes it seem "irresponsible" for Rogge to encourage them & accept their bid. Now if we were talking about a place like Havana or Sri Lanka, then I would agree. But it's Japan.

But it's Japan.

I haven't seen any public polls from Japan which back up the JOC's moves. It's just all the JOC's spin. If it wasn't very high before, how can it be much higher now especially if the Japanese public knows that the JOC has $4 billion in the bank? I mean, why NOT just pour that directly into the redevelopment of the Fukushima areas? WHy pretend to spur development -- mainly of the Tokyo area -- and w/ just one or 2 token venues out Fukushima way?

There is really something WONKY about the JOC's plan that doesn't smell RIGHT to me. The disaster just really seems to mask their real motives. And I wonder how much the Japanese public will buy that.

FYI makes a good point about how we have come close to back to back Asian SOG/WOG in the past. However, while PC may not be a bid "killer" -- a Tokyo win in 2020 would be unprecedented. I do believe there will be a time when we have back to back Games in Asia -- perhaps 2018/2020 will be that time. After all, the IOC already has the money from the US television rights. That makes the unfavorable timezone less of an issue.

Although I would like to think that the 2020 race may actually be decided solely on the merits of the bids, I've seen too many races to believe that will actually happen. Politics will play a part. Tokyo 2020 would thoroughly clear the way for Europe in 2022 -- which could be enticing to some members.

Tokyo will be handicapped by PyeongChang 2018. Don't fool yourselves into thinking that 65% of the IOC will suddenly think in Buenos Aires...Oh, OK, kinda looks cool to line up PyeongChang/Asia 2018 -- and then Tokyo/Asia 2020!! Wow! Novel thinking.

Ain't gonna happen. Not with a membership of what 3/5ths Europeans?

Those retiring Japanese IOC members just got snookered by the IOC into this meaningless bidding.

2 years is a long time and the sympathy u all built up will give way to reality in 2013

Yeah I don't think the IOC likes to hear about arguments made to invoke sympathy. A Tokyo Olympics helping the earthquake/tsunami victims is feel-good the first time around, but it's a story that could turn old really fast. Not only do I think anyone will give it a second thought by 2013, but it also might be annoying to some if they continue to bring it up. Not that anyone is coldhearted or anything, but I foresee more of a "Not this again"-type attitude.

Tokyo 2020 would thoroughly clear the way for Europe in 2022 -- which could be enticing to some members.

Would it help clear the way any more than Pyeongchang already has? Europe's potential obstacle for 2022 is the US, but I don't see how Tokyo 2020 would make any much of a difference.

Tokyo will be handicapped by PyeongChang 2018. Don't fool yourselves into thinking that 65% of the IOC will suddenly think in Buenos Aires...Oh, OK, kinda looks cool to line up PyeongChang/Asia 2018 -- and then Tokyo/Asia 2020!! Wow! Novel thinking.

Ain't gonna happen. Not with a membership of what 3/5ths Europeans?

Those retiring Japanese IOC members just got snookered by the IOC into this meaningless bidding.

Yes, Tokyo will be handicapped. Yes, their odds of winning are very long. I just wouldn't say those odds are zero. Sooner or later we will have back to back Asian Games. I suspect it will be later, but stranger things have happened....

Yes, Tokyo will be handicapped. Yes, their odds of winning are very long. I just wouldn't say those odds are zero. Sooner or later we will have back to back Asian Games. I suspect it will be later, but stranger things have happened....

If this were true, if history must be made, I guess now would be as good a time as ever. Like you, I still think it's unlikely though.

Sooner or later we will have back to back Asian Games.

1. How many capable cities are there in Asia at the same time?

2. Only when the IOC has a 70% Asian membership. And how will that happen when they are mostly invited in?

3. The "8"s rule. So, Tokyo for 2028; then the next one will be Harbin for 2038. So it is NEVER going to happen.

Tokyo's Olympic bid badly needs lobbying power

Aren't the 2 Japanese IOC members leaving as well? Who is going to lobby for Tokyo? Or does the bid have enough of a compelling argument to stand on its own?

Tokyo's new Olympic bid 'badly needs lobbying power'

"I want the JOC to win the bloody battle no matter what," said Ishihara, who headed the 2016 bid committee.

The 78-year-old novelist-turned politician later likened Japanese Olympic officials to strikers in football. "We can't win if they aren't good," he said.

His blunt remarks were taken by the Nikkei to show his frustration with the JOC's "lack of personal connections in the world of international sports".

The mass-circulation Yomiuri Shimbun also called on the JOC to "make steady efforts to expand personal connections by inviting international competitions and taking advantage of conferences and events".

In 2009, Tokyo was among the cities -- along with Madrid and Chicago -- that lost out to Rio de Janeiro in the 2016 race.

Rio was helped by star power in the form of President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva and football legend Pele. Chicago had US President Barack Obama behind it while Spanish soccer stars and King Juan Carlos supported Madrid's bid.

Yukio Hatoyama, another of Japan's short-lived prime ministers of recent years, represented Tokyo.

1. How many capable cities are there in Asia at the same time?

2. Only when the IOC has a 70% Asian membership. And how will that happen when they are mostly invited in?

3. The "8"s rule. So, Tokyo for 2028; then the next one will be Harbin for 2038. So it is NEVER going to happen.

Obviously there's more than we're giving them credit for. Certainly doesn't help Tokyo's chances for 2020, but again, it's not impossible. The 8's thing isn't a rule, it's a coincidence. I think Harbin gets theirs before 2038.. you really think it'll take another 5 WOG from PC to get to Harbin? Not when there's only 3 continents capable of hosting a Winter Games and you have to figure Harbin is the next Asian host for a Winter Olympics.

So yes, Tokyo doesn't have the best shot of winning 2020, but what does everyone expect Rogge to do.. come out and say "well Japan, maybe you should sit this one out since continental rotation rules you out of winning this one, even though we keep saying it doesn't." If Tokyo thinks they can win, maybe that makes them foolish, but more power to them if they're determined to try knowing what it will cost them for the opportunity to lose.

Well, Tsunekazu TAKEDA, the President of the Japanese NOC, is supposed to be proposed as an IOC Member next year during the London Session.

Koji MUROFUSHI, Athens 2004 Olympic Champion in hammer throwing, will also be running for the IOC Athletes Commission.

So, potentially, Japan could be back with 2 IOC members after London, when the real lobbying phase begins.

Two back to back Asian Games is unlikely but we must not forget that it almost happened once with Beijing 2008 and PC 2010.

I think it's hard to make any prediction at this stage as there is still many unknown parameters:

-final list of bid cities

-financial situation in Italy and Spain by the time of the vote

-candidates for IOC Presidency

Should be much more interesting that initially expected

Obviously there's more than we're giving them credit for. Certainly doesn't help Tokyo's chances for 2020, but again, it's not impossible. The 8's thing isn't a rule, it's a coincidence. I think Harbin gets theirs before 2038.. you really think it'll take another 5 WOG from PC to get to Harbin? Not when there's only 3 continents capable of hosting a Winter Games and you have to figure Harbin is the next Asian host for a Winter Olympics.

Actually, rethot this...and 2028-2030 could be a possible back-to-back Asians if Tokyo loses this round and tries again for 2028 because 2030 would probably be time for Harbin for the WOGs.

Hmm... I'm surprised Tokyo decided to bid for 2020. I'd have thought their chance of winning the bid would be pretty low, after PC 2018 win. BUT I also think their chance of winning is not zero; it is low, but not zero. It'll depend on how they play the game and also whether they can lobby well and maintain a strong sports diplomacy. The fact that there's been no back-to-back Asian Olympic games could potentially be used for the bid... also, they might be able to use this to their advantage and convince IOC members that a Tokyo 2020 win could potentially show that IOC is 'fair' and gives unconditional chances to all bidding cities regardless of previous bids.

Anyway, having said all that, I still think chances of Tokyo win is pretty low. It'll be more likely for a European or an American city to win the summer games!

• 2 weeks later...

Japan's chances are really low. Since 1988 Asian country's have only hosted every 10 years. With PC wining the 2018 olympics I would think this bid is all but shot. 2020 is looking like an european year and if South Africa bids for 2024 it will be an African year ( most likely) so Japan probley won't see an olympics till 2028.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Japanese PM Noda to support Tokyo 2020 Olympic bid

TOKYO (AP) — The head of the Japanese Olympic Committee says Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda has agreed to be a top adviser to a panel supporting Tokyo's bid to host the 2020 Summer Olympics.

JOC President Tsunekazu Takeda said Thursday that Noda was asked to assume the post and for the government to give its full support to the bid.

Noda accepted the request and was quoted by Takeda as saying, "Let us do our best to make this bid a success," Kyodo new agency reported.

Tokyo, which campaigned for the 2016 Olympics but lost out to Rio de Janeiro, is up against Doha, Qatar; Istanbul, Turkey; Madrid; and Rome. The IOC will select the host city in September 2013.

The panel will support Tokyo's 2020 bid committee, which is headed by Tokyo Governor Shintaro Ishihara.

In its bid to land the 2016 Games, Tokyo had an estimated $176 million budget but the bid suffered from a lack of public support and was eliminated in the second round of voting.

AP

Archived