Japan 2020

Tokyo plans to submit bid for 2020 Olympic Games

15:09 GMT, Sunday, 10 April 2011 16:09 UK

Tokyo governor Shintaro Ishihara Japan's recovery was at the forefront of Ishihara's re-election campaign

Tokyo intends to bid for the 2020 Olympics as part of Japan's recovery from the devastating earthquake and tsunami which hit the country in March.

City governor Shintaro Ishihara made the declaration following his re-election for a fourth term.

"Although they [the 2020 Games] are nine years from now, we can start raising our hand," he said.

"If we work hard with hope, it will be a big catalyst for our country's reconstruction and revival."

Large areas of Japan's east coast were devastated by the 9.0-magnitude quake and resulting tsunami waves.

In 2009, Tokyo lost out to Rio de Janeiro in the race for the 2016 Olympics.

Candidates for 2020 must submit their bids to the International Olympic Committee by 1 September this year.

The host city will be chosen in Buenos Aires in September 2013.

Berlin, Busan, Cape Town, Doha, Rome and Istanbul are among the cities to have signalled an interest in bidding to stage the 2020 event.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics/13029861.stm

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uh-oh. Not good for Durban's chances...but again the JOC does not have anyone in the inner circles of the IOC...so they better think twice about this ill-conceived idea. I am sure there will be a stronger backlash at home as to why spending should go to the Tokyo area rather than to the stricken Sendai/Fukushima areas. Probably will have low support at home.

Who knows? If symbolism is what Japan is going for, citing the tsunami and the 2020 Olympics as something for the country to aim for is a damn sight better than harking back to Hiroshima.

If the country sees it that way, rather than a diversion of funds on an unneeded luxury at a time of national crisis, then they've got to be seen as strong contenders.

I don't know why, but 2020 has always felt like the right time for Asia to host again. I think it'd provide an nice contrast after London and Rio.

Who knows? If symbolism is what Japan is going for, citing the tsunami and the 2020 Olympics as something for the country to aim for is a damn sight better than harking back to Hiroshima.

I know. It could be used an excuse to regenerate the economy except that the infrastructure being shored up will be in the Tokyo area rather than in the hard-hit northern coastal areas.

And who knows? What if Tokyo wins, and ANOTHER giant quake hits Japan a year or 2 before Tokyo 2020? I think that's something the IOC should consider very well...because unlike ONE figure skating championships where another city can quickly step in, it would mean cancelling a Tokyo Games altogether (not unless L.A. can do it in 18 months). I think Tokyo's 2020 rivals should plant that seed in the IOC'ers' minds.

But of course, if PyongChang 2018 wins in less than 100 days, then a Tokyo 2020 goose is cooked. And Japan has NO ONE in the IOC upper echelons over the next few years, so I think it's really a futile effort on the JOC's part. This is even worse than the hard-headed Spaniards. At least they had the old man JAS in the inner ring carrying the flag to his dying breath.

Pescante: Japan may have to give up their 2020 Olympic dream

Ha, ha, ha! Yeah, you wish, Pescante! :P

I have the feeling that Rome is not going to get 2020.

Istanbul, Madrid, Paris and Casablanca could also be potential cities to enter the 2020 summer Games bid race.

Berlin, Busan, Cape Town, Doha, Rome and Istanbul are among the cities to have signalled an interest in bidding to stage the 2020 event.

:huh: Where do these people look for information??

Apart from Rome and Tokyo (which are what the reports are about), only Istanbul appears in both as a possible candidate!

Yeah, but sentimentalism alone doesn't make a city win. I remember the "dear colleagues, I am coming to the end of my time. I am 89 years old...", and it helped but wasn't enough.

BTW, Samaranch's death should be used again by a future Spanish bid - for 2020 it would be ideal as he would have been 100 in July.

I don't know why, but 2020 has always felt like the right time for Asia to host again. I think it'd provide an nice contrast after London and Rio.

IMO, the ideal contrast would be the one that Istanbul could offer, so it would be from Chinese/Asian culture in 2008, to Anglo in 2012, to Latin in 2016, to Arab in 2020, to (South) African in 2024, to Japanese/Asian in 2028 (Tokyo gets the 8 again), to European (Mediterranean, probably) in 2032 and back to (North) America in 2036. But, of course, I won't mind if my country wants to break this beautiful schedule; otherwise, it looks very good, really! ^_^

You have got to admire the nerves of some member(s) here!

Why don't we let the Japanese government decide whether it is appropriate for them to bid or not?

Yeah Eartquake is an issue in Japan as it would be in, let's say, LA for example... It is one risk that will need to be factored in.

A Japanese IOC members will most likely be proposed for the session in London (otherwise, it might be tough for any Japanese bid).

The main issue for Japan is PC.

Just hope that if Japan bids after all, whiner in chief will spare us two years of "Japanese are stupid, how dare they bid, Durban should be given the Games, evil Japanese who didn't apologize..."

Next!

If always be approached from the perspective of a new horizons,

2014 Sochi

2016 Rio

2018 Pyeongchang

2020 Durban

2022 Kazakhstan

2024 Doha or Dubai

2026 New Zealand

2028 Turkey

2030 China

2032 Maybe Toronto

2034 Bulgaria or Poland

2036 Chile or Argentina

2038 Sweden or Finland

2040 Kuala Lumpur or Bangkok

Just hope that if Japan bids after all, whiner in chief will spare us two years of "Japanese are stupid, how dare they bid, Durban should be given the Games, evil Japanese who didn't apologize..."

That will happen, either with the Japanese, the Italian or whoever. In fact, it's already going... and the bid process hasn't even started.

^^^Going on, I meant :rolleyes:

Aside from the fact that I still think, when it comes to getting the votes, the Rio "new frontier" factor counts against another "new frontier" for 2020 (though I admit the popular momentum for Africa does seem to be strong), I'm a bit like that myself. I'll confess that totally subjectively, Durban seems to me another new frontier, southern hemisphere, seaside and beach city too soon after Rio. while Tokyo's always appealed to me as the most contrasting likely bid, not to mention the time zone is perfect for viewing in my neighbourhood, and that I'm a bit of a "Nipponophile". I honestly don't think that technically it would have too much problem getting a games together with nine years after the quake to do so. The major problem to me would be getting and selling support for it in the short term (bid phase) when memories and the aftermath of the quake/tsunami are still vivid.

And, yeah, how 2018 WOG campaign plays out will probably have more of an affect on the summer race than usual.

If always be approached from the perspective of a new horizons,

2014 Sochi

2016 Rio

2018 Pyeongchang

2020 Durban

2022 Kazakhstan

2024 Doha or Dubai

2026 New Zealand

2028 Turkey

2030 China

2032 Maybe Toronto

2034 Bulgaria or Poland

2036 Chile or Argentina

2038 Sweden or Finland

2040 Kuala Lumpur or Bangkok

You forget my two favorite under-dog cities: Port-au-Prince and Dakha, the gems of the 3rd world!!

I thought Ulan Bator was among your favorites.

That too...but it's so 2004! Plus, it would've brought out the real identity of "nature." ;)

Speaking of 2004...when I first joined here, I conjured up a Lighting Ceremony for Athens 2004 with the sexy Gianna Angeloupoulos as the Final Lighter using a flamethrower. (My inspiration for that idea was Sigourney Weaver/Ripley from the ALIEN movie series.) Well, guess what? On a story on tonight's "60 Minutes" which featured a unique "cameras-allowed-in-for the first time" into the Vatican Library, an ancient scholarly book was brought out which SHOWED that the first mechanical flame-throwers in history were actually used in ancient Greece!! So I wasn't far off! How prophetic was that? :blink:

Well, how's this for a new Japanese bid theory:

"Japan (Tokyo) only wins summer games hostings after major disasters"

ie:

1923 - Great Tokyo Quake / 1940 - Tokyo initially due to host its first SOGs

1945 - Tokyo (and most of Japan) flattened by bombing / 1964 - Tokyo finally hosts its SOGs

2011 - Great Northern japan Quake-Tsunami / 2020 - ?

Well, how's this for a new Japanese bid theory:

"Japan (Tokyo) only wins summer games hostings after major disasters"

ie:

1923 - Great Tokyo Quake / 1940 - Tokyo initially due to host its first SOGs

1945 - Tokyo (and most of Japan) flattened by bombing / 1964 - Tokyo finally hosts its SOGs

2011 - Great Northern japan Quake-Tsunami / 2020 - ?

But how do you account for Sapporo 1972 and Nagano 1998?

Altho looking at the summer slate, there could be a trend here:

- 64 AD - Nero burns Rome. Some 1850 years later, it is promised 1908 Olympics :blink: ; Vesuvius throws a tantrum. SOGs delayed until 1960!!

- 1666 - 1st Great Fire of London; London fills in for recused Rome in 1908. Hitler pummels London 1942-44. London hosts in 1948!

- Moscow paid for Napoleon's and Hitler's power lust. Finally gets its moment in the sun in 1980.

- Generalissimo Franco makes Barcelona his regime's fall guy & whipping boy. It wins the 1992 plum and his capital, Madrid, has been denied thrice already.

- Atlanta burned and levelled by Gen. Sherman in 1865. 131 years later, it hosts the Centennial Games!! :blink:

Paris escapes WW II destruction by selling its soul...has NOT won a post-war Games!!

Durban has to burn some of its neighborhoods to surely win 2020!!

This just reminds me when in 1966 the city of Florence, right after the devastating flood, tried to convince CONI to go for the 1976 Games as a boost for recovery.

The proposal gained sentimental support initially but soon had to deal with reality and drop out.

I don't know about bidding for the Olympics as a post-tragedy impulse. May seems desparate and not very appropriate.

But looking at the summer slate, there could be a trend here:

Durban has to burn some of its neighborhoods to surely win 2020!!

Well, Durban did have the Battle of Isandlwana in 1879. Sure it was over a hundred kilometers away, but who's counting?

However, your theory is flawed. In 1871 Chicago burned to the ground. As recompense, they were awarded the 1904 Games. But, then St Louis stole them away, and in 2016 Chicago was denied again. When oh when will there be justice for 1871???

However, your theory is flawed. In 1871 Chicago burned to the ground. As recompense, they were awarded the 1904 Games. But, then St Louis stole them away, and in 2016 Chicago was denied again. When oh when will there be justice for 1871???

Which is why I didn't include it. But not to worry...Chicago is in good company. San Francisco with its 1906 shakedown has yet to see full Olympic glory (altho the United Nations was born there and the city hosted the first post-war IOC Session held in the US...in 1960).

And I guess for its 1989 quake, we will be hosting America's Cup in 2 years.

Another one: Aztec ruler Montezuma was dislodged from his stronghold of Tehnochtitlan in 1520 by the invading Spaniards. 441 years later, the Euro-dominated IOC deigns to give the Olympics back to the Meso-Americans for a 1968 celebration!! :blink: Boy, and one thinks the 9 or 20 year quests by today's cities are a LOOOOONGGG time!! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hiroshima didn't want just to be a satellite host with a soccer match thrown their way. They wanted the whole kit-&-kaboodle. To be the 2020 primary "star". And since they obviously can't have it (because the JOC gave them a good reality check), they're throwing a tantrum like some spoiled little brat. Hiroshima can now join the Tulsa, Hobart, Birmingham delusional fan club.

Hiroshima didn't want just to be a satellite host with a soccer match thrown their way. They wanted the whole kit-&-kaboodle. To be the 2020 primary "star". And since they obviously can't have it (because the JOC gave them a good reality check), they're throwing a tantrum like some spoiled little brat. Hiroshima can now join the Tulsa, Hobart, Birmingham delusional fan club.

I disagree, Hiroshima is one step above the other cities you have mentioned. If the Olympics are going to another Japanese city (i.e should Tokyo lose again), then why not Hiroshima? They got a good amount of venues in place thanks to the Asian Games of 1994, just needs upgrading.

Seriuosly, what is wrong with you with always advocating these timbuctu places that virtually have a snowballs chance in hell of getting the IOC nod.

So what if Hiroshima "is one step above" Hobart, Tulsa & Birmingham. Woop-dee-do. I'm sure that would make the IOC feel so much better & drool with frenzy. If the IOC can say "NO" to elite places like Paris (3-times already), Rome & Tokyo, what in the world then would they go to some gamma-rated city like Hiroshima, Edmonton, Leipzig, etc, etc, etc. Doesn't make sense at all.

Just because a city has a "good amount of venues in place" doesn't automatically make them Olympic caliber. If anything, Osaka would be the next logical choice if the JOC wanted to go with somebody different, but anything else below that ain't gonna cut it.

I think that is a fair comparison. Hiroshima is a bit far down the list of Japan's Top Cities. If they are serious about winning, the JOC has to go with either Tokyo or Osaka. Otherwise, they'll have another Leipzig/Lille/Seville/Manchester.

Archived