Japan 2020

1) Probably shoulda said premier city (which for most countries is the largest/capital), but in the case of Brazil is Rio de Janeiro. Planned capital countries often have a premier city that internationally supersedes the capital (Australia, Nigeria, USA come to mind as well as Brazil)

2) Cape Town is the legislative capital of South Africa and therefore the seat of government, so technically a capital and its far too early to decide on favourites yet.

3) I said 'could currently WIN' not feasible hosts, and St. Petersburg has been shown to not be a feasible host with their failed bid attempt.

My point was that right now only Canada (Toronto), USA (Chicago/San Francisco) and China (Shanghai) have cities different then their previous hosts that have the international profile and prominence to be able to beat the likes of Madrid, Paris, Rome and Berlin. Previous hosts and the premier city of their respective countries that do not have viable second hosts under the current situation. Germany wouldn't be able to win without Berlin, France without Paris, Spain within Madrid, Italy without Rome, Japan without Tokyo etc.

South Africa and Brazil can be the exceptions to the general rule but in the end the most well-known best kept cities are Cape Town and Rio de Janeiro respectively.

If you consider the importance of the city alone, there are some countries that could have at least a second option for a host city, such as Brazil (Sao Paulo), China (Shanghai), South Africa (Johannesburg) and Italy (Milan). The other issue is whether the city has space to be used to build an OV and a compact venue plan.

The reason why countries like Brazil and South Africa have insisted with Rio and Cape Town is because they believe those cities are the most likely to win. In 2003, Sao Paulo got into a race with Rio to be the Brazilian city nominated to bid for the SOG, but it lost. SP could not come up with a viable plan for the Games, since it would cost twice as much as Rio's.

With emerging markets taking up a bigger share of the world economies, we might see a surge in new prospect host cities, such as Delhi and Mumbai in India. The cities in those countries are going to become more prominent and better organized as to become potential hosts for the SOG.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you consider the importance of the city alone, there are some countries that could have at least a second option for a host city, such as Brazil (Sao Paulo), China (Shanghai), South Africa (Johannesburg) and Italy (Milan). The other issue is whether the city has space to be used to build an OV and a compact venue plan.

The reason why countries like Brazil and South Africa have insisted with Rio and Cape Town is because they believe those cities are the most likely to win. In 2003, Sao Paulo got into a race with Rio to be the Brazilian city nominated to bid for the SOG, but it lost. SP could not come up with a viable plan for the Games, since it would cost twice as much as Rio's.

With emerging markets taking up a bigger share of the world economies, we might see a surge in new prospect host cities, such as Delhi and Mumbai in India. The cities in those countries are going to become more prominent and better organized as to become potential hosts for the SOG.

India when proven that they have the capacity to host would join the list of countries with two potential hosts. But right now India can't even coup with the Commonwealth Games

Talking about international fame, I don't see Milan standing at a lower degree than cities like Toronto, Cape Town or Chicago.

Depends really, the thing Milan has against it is Rome, when the IOC is being presented with the best city from the bidding countries you have to bring your superstar city and that is Rome for Italy. Like I said, I would prefer Milan because it has the potential to turn a Barcelona but, Milan would very much be unlikely to win against Paris or Madrid or Berlin or Tokyo. Unfortunate but true.

Me neither. It's actually better known than all those cities.

But in their respective countries (at least for Toronto and Cape Town) they are top dog and are the most likely hosts.

Talking about international fame, I don't see Milan standing at a lower degree than cities like Toronto, Cape Town or Chicago.

Maybe. But Rome would seem to have the better potential to perhaps top over those cities in any given race than Milan probably could. So why not go with the best option then, to perhaps do that, which would be Rome. Not saying that Milan couldn't, just that Rome seems to be the better Italian candidate, to give all the other cities that would compete against them a good run for their money.

I'm not sure how I feel about a Hiroshima bid. I just looked it up on Wikipedia, and it only has just over a million people (though it doesn't specify if that's the city proper or the metro area.) Athens had about 3 million in it's metro area, and they thought they were a tad too small. The hosted the 1994 Asian Games, which only involved a little over 6,000 athletes, less than half what we could expect at the Olympics, and they're largest stadium, at the moment, only seats 50,000 people.

Well, IOC Executive Director, Gilbert Felli, doesn't take to kindly to it. At least the "joint" part with Nagasaki anyway. Hiroshima prefecture has a population of 3.0 million, so I guess that could be considered as Hiroshima's metro area. That would be the very bare minimum, scrapping the bottom of the barrel though, considering the scale of the Games today.

But really, as long as there's a run of mega, glamour cities & exotic New Frontier hot spots with the newly potential of hosting the Games, panting at the IOC's door, cities like Hiroshima, Palermo, Minneapolis, Busan, Pittsburgh, Monterrey, Guangzhou, etc, etc, etc are just fantasizing about ever getting the biggest plum of all sporting events.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm. It looks like Hiroshima-Nagasaki still haven't given up on he idea:

P

anel launched to study co-hosting 2020 Olympic Games

Sunday 01st November, 03:25 AM JST

HIROSHIMA —

A panel to study the feasibility of Hiroshima and Nagasaki co-hosting the 2020 Summer Olympic Games was launched Saturday, with an eye to agreeing on a basic vision by the end of this year. ‘‘We want to clarify our philosophy in November and address specific problems in December,’’ said Hiroshima Mayor Tadatoshi Akiba, who became chairman of the panel.

At the first meeting of the panel held in Hiroshima, the city of Kitakyushu also joined the panel although it will not seek to co-host the Olympics. Since the International Olympic Committee has shown a negative stance on cities co-hosting the Olympics, the panel will study the possibility of a joint bid and how to finance the event and will reach a conclusion by next spring on whether to make a joint bid.

Kyodo News.

Well, at least they acknowledge the IOC isn't hot for co-hosts.

Co hosting with Nagasaki is ludicrous! It's 300 odd km from Hiroshima on another island/prefecture! If it were an adjacent or nearby "twinned" city then perhaps, but the most likely thing Nagasaki would host is football preliminaries, that is of course if Hiroshima decide to host alone.

I love a fool...especially a $165 million one. I guess they will launch a $200 million bid..so come hell or high water, a Tokyo 2020 would already be in the hole for $365 million whether they happen or not? I guess not getting tossed out first kinda lulls you into some sort of fog.

How much will Dubai throw at this business as well? Why doesn't the IOC sell stocks?? :angry:

I know. Even far more than the supposed $100 million American 2016 bid. $165 million for Tokyo 2016 is astronomical just to f'n bid!

Well, that certainly rules out all those other smallish, "foolish" cities. Where the heck are they going to come up with that kind of absurd money just for the damn bid! :lol:

This is funny. You have spoken & heres your answer, Rol. As of this morning, Tokyo says that they're interested in giving it another whirl, as they have started they momentum:

http://www.gamesbids.com/eng/olympic_bids/...1216134834.html

Hiroshima is definitely done now. They should just throw their hands up.

Rome v Tokyo v Dubai v whoever else throws their hand up. Interesting battle developing.

November 13 - Tokyo has the money set aside to bid for the 2020 Olympics and should keep trying until it is awarded the Games again, the city's Governor Shintaro Ishihara (pictured) claimed today.

The Japanese capital lost out to Rio de Janeiro in last month's 2016 vote but Ishihara said that it should look to history for encouragement to try again.

He said: "Tokyo lost out for the 1960 Olympics before winning the rights to host the 1964 Games.

"It is necessary to examine why our bid failed and see what we need to do to be successful.

"It's important for Tokyo to leave a legacy for future generations.

"I will address the [Tokyo] City Assembly about applying for 2020 and ask them to decide.

"We did spend money on the [2016] bid but we have the finances set aside for such big projects."

Tokyo had a contingency fund of $4 billion (£2.4 billion) for the 2016 Games and Ishihara hopes that will now carry over to a bid for 2020.

Ishihara said: "While Tokyo and Fukuoka were contesting the right to be Japan's bid city I said we should reapply if Tokyo did not win the 2016 vote.

"For now we have to submit the necessary paperwork in line with the IOC's (International Olympic Committee) deadlines."

Ishihara had announced earlier this week that he wanted Tokyo to bid again, which caught several senior officials in Japan by surprise.

He said: "It's not a question of Assembly member not having been told.

"At this stage the issue is to make sure the budget and the financial back-up is in place."

Hiroshima and Nagasaki, cities who were victims of a nulcear attack in 1945, have expressed an interest in tabling a joint-bid for the 2020 Olympics.

The Mayors of both cities met in Osaka today to ask Japan's second city for its help in examining the logistics of their proposal.

The Japanese Olympic Committee said that they would choose a candidate city from Japan next year.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/index.php?op...d=1:latest-news

• 1 month later...
Ishihara proposes Tokyo share 2020 Olympics with Hiroshima, Nagasaki+

Nagasaki+ (AP) - TOKYO, Jan. 5 (Kyodo)—Tokyo Gov. Shintaro Ishihara proposed Tuesday that the Japanese capital allow Hiroshima and Nagasaki to stage some events should it be selected as the country's candidate city to host the 2020 Summer Olympics.

"If Hiroshima, Nagasaki and Tokyo were all bidding for the Olympics then Tokyo would probably win," Ishihara told Kyodo News in an interview.

"Once Tokyo puts its hat into the international bidding ring then it would be able to get both Hiroshima and Nagasaki involved," he said, pointing out that the coastal city of Qingdao hosted the sailing events at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

Ishihara said Tokyo would bid to host the 2020 Olympics a month after its loss last October to Rio de Janeiro in the race to host the 2016 Games, but his proposal was met with a backlash within the Tokyo Metropolitan Assembly.

Japanese Olympic Committee President Tsunekazu Takeda last month ruled out the possibility of Hiroshima and Nagasaki co-hosting the 2020 Summer Games, saying that the Olympic Charter stipulates that only one city can host the event.

Japan's two atomic-bombed cities expressed their desire to host the 2020 Olympics just after Tokyo's 2016 bid was dashed.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9...;show_article=1

What about the compactness (does this word exist?) of Tokyo 2016?

You mean how much does the IOC value the objectively verifiable aspects of a bid (compactness, sustainability, transportation/logistics, safety and security, financial support, local engagement)?

If the IOC decides to send the games somewhere, clearly that's what they'll do regardless.

But don't forget to attach a few billion dollars in defense and oil contracts - assuming you have them to give out.

If not and another city has them - Can't Japan find another use for $70 million?

CHItown '16

You mean how much does the IOC value the objectively verifiable aspects of a bid (compactness, sustainability, transportation/logistics, safety and security, financial support, local engagement)?

If the IOC decides to send the games somewhere, clearly that's what they'll do regardless.

But don't forget to attach a few billion dollars in defense and oil contracts - assuming you have them to give out.

If not and another city has them - Can't Japan find another use for $70 million?

CHItown '16

I thought it was Cordelia back for a moment.

Sigh! Things were so much clearer back in 2005 when it was the World Anglo Conspiracy and influence in the IOC that was direspecting France and breaking the rules to ensure the triumph af the Anglophones.

Archived