Japan 2020

Kyodo reports the city of Hiroshima is considering bidding for the 2020 Summer Olympics Games, after Tokyo's failed bid for the 2016 Summer Games. Sources said Hiroshima plans to consult with the Japanese Olympic Committee in the near future.

If it decides to bid, Hiroshima is expected to promote world peace through hosting the Olympics.

Hiroshima Mayor Tadatoshi Akiba has called on the rest of the world to join forces to eliminate all nuclear weapons by 2020, reports Kyodo. In an international peace meeting in Mexico City last month, Akiba said that eliminating all nuclear weapons by 2020 is feasible and expressed hope that the Olympics will be staged in Hiroshima and Nagasaki that year to celebrate a nuclear-free world.

Tokyo has not yet decided whether it will be for the 2020 Games and only one city may apply from each country.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is selecting the 2020 host city in 2013.

GamesBids

Now this could be an interesting proposal. The "Peace" theme and symbolism may play well with the IOC. I can't remember, but has Horishima participated in any Japanese domestic bid phase? I remember the 2016 choices for Japan came down to between Fukuoka and Tokyo, but I vaguely recall there might have ben a few other early expressions of interest. I still think if it cam down to busines the JOC might still go with Tokyo over Hiroshima if the capital's still interested, but Hiroshima may still have a bit of an X-factor up its sleeve.

Whatever happened to the Filipino guy he who used to swear blind here Hiroshima had stitched up a joint-bit deal with Manila for the summer games? :rolleyes:

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yoshinori_Sakai_afp.jpg_1263901871.jpg

Yoshinori Sakai, who lit the Olympic Flame in Tokyo 1964, was born August 6th, 1945 in Hiroshima...

I think it is a nice idea, but I think that Capetown will get 2020, if South Africa is able to host good World Championships and if they produce a bid which shows they can host Summer Olympics...

LOL - apologies for spelling Hiroshima wrong in the thread title. It seems to be a word I'm dyslexic with in typing - I kept correcting it in thepost, but as soon as I clicked on the button to post the thread I realisd I hadn't checked the title!

I think it is a nice idea, but I think that Capetown will get 2020, if South Africa is able to host good World Championships and if they produce a bid which shows they can host Summer Olympics...

Sigh! I just really think there is no way in hell the IOC is going to do two new frontiers in a row. 2024, maybe, but I really strongly think 2020 is going to be a "safe" host.

And a "We are the Last Continent NOT to HOST" rings stronger than another "Games of World Peace" which all of these O Games are supposed to be anyway.

And again, Japan is a country that has HOSTED 3 OGs already, so... But if they want to spend their money and energies, and Cape Town needs somebody to run against, who are we to stop them??? :blink:

Ah, how soon we forget.

Exactly four years ago conventional wisdom on the board was that the 2012 "proved" the games were going to be locked up and swapped between repeat host mega-capital cities for the forseeable future. Nobody under a tier-one Alpha city without a grand plan for a brand-spanking new Olympic Park and architectural legacy need apply.

Now suddenly we're in era of every bidder is wasting their time unless they are the newest exotic new frontier of the month. Safe cities are at the back of the queue until all the backlog of new-frontiers have been processed and taken care of one after the other in quick succession. C'mon, you all know that each bid race as its own dynamics and likely or not has no connection at all with the one preceding it beyond the fact it probably woudn't go to the same continent. Frankly, if Rio couldn't have won against a back-to-back Anglo candidate with eight previous national hostings under its belt and two poorly-timed geographically-handicapped bids, it was time for ANY new frontier to throw in the towel. The empty rings map worked once, twice in a row is stretching its impact.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy, indeed overjoyed, and the first to jump on the Cape Town bandwagon if its builds up a head of steam from 2011 onwards, but I'd et against lightning striking twice in quick succession.

LOL - apologies for spelling Hiroshima wrong in the thread title. It seems to be a word I'm dyslexic with in typing - I kept correcting it in thepost, but as soon as I clicked on the button to post the thread I realisd I hadn't checked the title!

You can change it - just click on edit - then "full edit" there you can change the headline too

You can change it - just click on edit - then "full edit" there you can change the headline too

Wow! You learn something new every day. I didn't realise I could also edit titles - I always thought we'd have to beg the mod to do it if we really cared enough.

The symbolism of a Hiroshima bid is cute, but not enough, IMHO, to convince the IOC. And as Baron said, all the Games are supposed to be the symbol of peace between nations.

I would have like to see Osaka or Nagoya chosen, Japanese big cities other than Tokyo. But I think that the Japanese Olympic Committee will put all the chances behind a Japanese bid by choosing Tokyo for their next bid (2020 ?).

C'mon, some of you guys can't be serious about Hiroshima, are you? It's too small, it's like both Birminghams'/Tulsa/Leipzig/Lille/Seville/Manchester. It's even smaller than Minneapolis' metro area. It won't cut it. The IOC will send a subtle message to the JOC (like they sent to the BOA earlier in the decade), that if Japan wants to host the Olympics, it should do so with it's premier city of Tokyo.

Nagasaki will fight them to the death for the honor!!

I lifted this from the news thread, Baron. But it's no joke apparently, it WILL be a joint Hiroshima-Nagasaki bid, accoding to reuters:

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japanese city of Hiroshima said it and Nagasaki, the only cities that suffered nuclear attacks, are considering a joint bid to host the 2020 Olympic Games, to give momentum to moves to abolish nuclear weapons.

The agreement came after Tokyyo failed in its bid for the 2016 Olympics and the surprise award of the Nobel Peace Prize to U.S. President Barack Obama for giving the world "hope for a better future" and striving for nuclear disarmament.

"Mayors for Peace, which has 3,000 cities as its members worldwide, aims to abolish nuclear arms by 2020," Koji Utsunomiya, a Hiroshima City official in charge of sporting activities, told Reuters.

"It would be great if we could host the Olympic Games, the festival of peace, in that year of 2020."

Hiroshima Mayor Tadatoshi Akiba and Nagasaki Mayor Tomihisa Taue are set to hold a news conference at 0430 GMT on Sunday in Hiroshima.

Anyway, that kills the idea anyway if they think a joint city bid (and they're not exactly THAT close anyway) will win.

C'mon, some of you guys can't be serious about Hiroshima, are you? It's too small, it's like both Birminghams'/Tulsa/Leipzig/Lille/Seville/Manchester. It's even smaller than Minneapolis' metro area. It won't cut it. The IOC will send a subtle message to the JOC (like they sent to the BOA earlier in the decade), that if Japan wants to host the Olympics, it should do so with it's premier city of Tokyo.

I agree, Tokyo's a better bet and more likely to be chosen by the JOC. But I wouldn't underestimate the emotional pull (well, that was before the crazy joint bid with Nagasaki idea) of Hiroshima.

I lifted this from the news thread, Baron. But it's no joke apparently, it WILL be a joint Hiroshima-Nagasaki bid, accoding to reuters:

Anyway, that kills the idea anyway if they think a joint city bid (and they're not exactly THAT close anyway) will win.

I agree, Tokyo's a better bet and more likely to be chosen by the JOC. But I wouldn't underestimate the emotional pull (well, that was before the crazy joint bid with Nagasaki idea) of Hiroshima.

That's like the silly "Florida 2012" bid the cities of Tampa & Orlando tried to put together. The 2 cities are almost 100 miles apart! So much for compactness. So it wasn't surprising at all that the USOC told them "go back to the drawing board & maybe try again later".

Yeah, sure. Hiroshima is a nice choice. Along with Pittsburgh, Detroit, Minneapolis, Birmingham & Tulsa.

Well, for better or worst, Hiroshima and Nagasaki are both much more well known that any of those cities (except Detroit, but Detroit is also well known for being ugly, so...). Heck, Hiroshima is probably a more recognizable name that Chicago...

Anyway, I guess this could work whit Hiroshima being the anchor and Nagasaki getting some secondary events (such as sailing and some football matches).

But then again, if Osaka crashed and burn, what kind of chance does Hiroshima has?

Well, geez. The only reason why Hiroshima & Nagasaki might be better known than any of those other cities is because they were BOMBED to smithereens in WWII. Not really something to brag about, just like Detroit's uglyness, as you pointed out.

And joint city bids don't get very far with the IOC, especially ones hundreds of miles apart. That's just ridiculous. The citizens of Hiroshima & Nagasaki must still be feeling the effects of the blast.

Though it does raise a question, other then maybe Canada, the USA and China, there is really no countries that could currently win without their capital/largest city even with it as a previous host. Canada can try with Toronto, the US with Chicago or San Francisco and China with Shanghai or Hong Kong so will there reach a point when new cities are not going to happen as often? I mean there is only a finite number of countries that will have the ability to host in the near future (say 50 years) so maybe an Osaka, Hamburg or St. Petersburg will have to be accepted at some point if you don't want a constant parade of repeat hosts.

Osaka would definitely be a good option if it's not Tokyo. Hamburg is also good too if it's not Berlin. But really, would the IOC get tired of repeat hosts? Especially if their mega capitals? London is a prime example of the answer to that question. For 2012 it was either gonna be Paris or London, which would have made either a *third* time host. I think the IOC would probably prefer Tokyo at the moment over any other Japanese city. Tokyo has the money, the infrastructure, the federal government & the international stature to pull it all off. Osaka is a good second choice, but all the other Japanese cities are just sipping too much saki, even if they never hosted before.

Though it does raise a question there is really no countries that could currently win without their capital/largest city even with it as a previous host.

The winner of the most recent bid isn't the federal capital (Brasilia) nor it's largest city (Sao Paolo).

the early favourite on this forum for the 2020 Olympics, Cape Town, also isn't its nation's primary capital nor largest city.

other then maybe Canada, the USA and China

I think Russia (Saint Petersburg), Germany (Hamburg) and for 2028 onwards Australia (Melbourne or Brisbane) should be added to that list.

Canada can try with Toronto, the US with Chicago or San Francisco and China with Shanghai or Hong Kong

Isn't Canada's largest city Toronto? Also Shangai is China's largest city and economical hub

The winner of the most recent bid isn't the federal capital (Brasilia) nor it's largest city (Sao Paolo).

the early favourite on this forum for the 2020 Olympics, Cape Town, also isn't its nation's primary capital nor largest city.

I think Russia (Saint Petersburg), Germany (Hamburg) and for 2028 onwards Australia (Melbourne or Brisbane) should be added to that list.

Isn't Canada's largest city Toronto? Also Shangai is China's largest city and economical hub

1) Probably shoulda said premier city (which for most countries is the largest/capital), but in the case of Brazil is Rio de Janeiro. Planned capital countries often have a premier city that internationally supersedes the capital (Australia, Nigeria, USA come to mind as well as Brazil)

2) Cape Town is the legislative capital of South Africa and therefore the seat of government, so technically a capital and its far too early to decide on favourites yet.

3) I said 'could currently WIN' not feasible hosts, and St. Petersburg has been shown to not be a feasible host with their failed bid attempt.

My point was that right now only Canada (Toronto), USA (Chicago/San Francisco) and China (Shanghai) have cities different then their previous hosts that have the international profile and prominence to be able to beat the likes of Madrid, Paris, Rome and Berlin. Previous hosts and the premier city of their respective countries that do not have viable second hosts under the current situation. Germany wouldn't be able to win without Berlin, France without Paris, Spain within Madrid, Italy without Rome, Japan without Tokyo etc.

South Africa and Brazil can be the exceptions to the general rule but in the end the most well-known best kept cities are Cape Town and Rio de Janeiro respectively.

Osaka would definitely be a good option if it's not Tokyo. Hamburg is also good too if it's not Berlin. But really, would the IOC get tired of repeat hosts? Especially if their mega capitals? London is a prime example of the answer to that question. For 2012 it was either gonna be Paris or London, which would have made either a *third* time host. I think the IOC would probably prefer Tokyo at the moment over any other Japanese city. Tokyo has the money, the infrastructure, the federal government & the international stature to pull it all off. Osaka is a good second choice, but all the other Japanese cities are just sipping too much saki, even if they never hosted before.

Yeah, but there's only so many "mega" capitals to go around - and while there's always going to be repeat hostings, too many would end up being criticised as well. The IOC always tries to strike a balance. A lot of safe, mega cities, with the odd second tier or new frontier thrown in when they can. Saying it's only restricted to them because of the lessons on 2012 is akin to saying we're poised on the brink of a run of quick new frontier hostings because of the lessons of 2016. Every race has its own unique currents and undercurrents. Depending on how cards fall into place in any race, there's no reason why on its day an Osaka couldn't beat a Paris.

You can't say that as no one else, execpt Rome, ever went through/concluded the bid phase.

I keep saying that Milan can be strong as much as Rome in putting a bid.

I honestly would prefer Milan but if 2020 and 2024 shape up to be like 2012, which its looking to be, then there is no way anything but a European grand capital or another major world city (like Toronto, Chicago, Cape Town, Tokyo) would win.

Archived