Women's European Football Championship 2005

The draw for the finals will be staged at the City of Manchester Stadium on January 19.

Hosts England will be joined in the finals by holders Germany, Norway, Denmark, France, Italy, Finland and Sweden.

The City of Manchester Stadium will host the opening game of the tournament on June 5th, with the final being played at Ewood Park, Blackburn. Other games will be played in Deepdale in Preston, Bloomfield Road in Blackpool and the Halliwell-Jones Stadium in Warrington.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I saw a report last night previewing the Championship that said in England crowds for women's football are generally very low, often not exceeding three figures. So, in effect, it's attracting similar numbers of people to regional/local men's games.

Having said that, they've sold over 21,000 tickets for tomorrow night.

I saw a report last night previewing the Championship that said in England crowds for women's football are generally very low, often not exceeding three figures. So, in effect, it's attracting similar numbers of people to regional/local men's games.

Having said that, they've sold over 21,000 tickets for tomorrow night.

Okay. Not to get prejudiced here, but is it the same kind of reception like this for the rest of Europe that have national women's soccer teams?

Germany is very successful in Women´s football. There is a own Bundesliga, but the clubs are getting money from the DFB just for keeping the league alive. Many of the girls have to work and are no professionals. The two best clubs are Frankfurt and Potsdam. They are playing on a higher level and the two clubs are subject of the regional broadcaster (hr and rbb). A few players (Prinz, Jones, Künzer,..) have their individual sponsorship deals.

The public interest has surged after the win of the World Cup 2003. The matches of the Qualification were sold out but the stadia are much smaller. These matches are often in smaller cities, whre the men´s football is not so successful (Kiel, Passau, Oldenburg or Potsdam). But the TV rating are not so bad.

To the E-Ch in England: The public braodcaster ARD/ZDF do not show the matches. You can only watch the matches on Eurosport. The print media expects that the DFB-Girls will reach at least the final. It is the last tournament of the head coach Tina Theune-Meyer.

Wow, I just came back from town and saw alot of England flags everwhere. I completely forgot about the Womens European Football championship. There looks like a huge crowd gathering around the stadium. I wasn't going to, but I am going to watch it on TV now.

Come on England!

Ok, a good warm-up program by group A for group B, the stronger group.

The two best European Nations in Women´s football will play tomorrow. Norway against Germany. The German team will probably play without Birgit Prinz, because of an injury.

It should be said that England beat Norway not so long ago. I daresay Sweden would have something to say about that aswell. Nonetheless, Germany are overwhelming favourites and so they should be.

By the way, a crowd of 29.029 in Manchester tonight.

Well, it could have been a lot worse considering.

We outplayed Denmark for 70+ minutes tonight only for the referee to make a very poor decision that completely changed the flow of the game. How on earth she can book Fara Williams for winning the ball fairly is utterly beyond me. Utterly pathetic.

Still, at least Sweden slipped up against Finland.

The decisive games in Group A have just kicked off.

It's winner take all in Blackburn as England face Sweden. Finland must beat Denmark to have any chance.

Dreadful start for England as Sweden take the lead inside 3 minutes thanks to a blatant piece of obstruction. How many more referees are going to deem it acceptable to give wrong decisions against us? It always happens.

Archived