Rugby Sevens

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have just read that a match lasts 10 minutes two times - that seems to me very very short - I can't imagine that there are a lot of drives...

The point is that it's very fast moving and is more attack than defence oriented. It's really exciting to watch. Try to kep an eye out if one of the next WC 7s tournaments is shown on German TV.

Here's the coming WC schedule:

Dubai, UAE - 4-5 December 2009

George, South Africa - 11-12 December 2009

Wellington, New Zealand - 5-6 February 2010

USA - 13 -14 February 2010

Adelaide, Australia - 20-21 March 2010

Hong Kong - 26, 27, 28 March 2010

London, England - 22-23 May 2010

Edinburgh, Scotland - 29-30 May 2010

* The 2010 Commonwealth Games Sevens competition will be held in Delhi, India on 5-6 October 2010

The HK tournament is probably the most prestigious annual event of the calendar. I've been there at Sevens time (but unfortunately didn't get to see it) and the place packs out with expats.

The point is that it's very fast moving and is more attack than defence oriented. It's really exciting to watch. Try to kep an eye out if one of the next WC 7s tournaments is shown on German TV.

... the German TV had never shown Rugby 7s before...

:(

I am glad when I can watch Rugby on EUROSPORT 1, EUROSPORT 2, ESPN America or ESPN Classic (yes I am watching TV via internet)

T-home entertain

Here's the coming WC schedule:

Dubai, UAE - 4-5 December 2009

George, South Africa - 11-12 December 2009

Wellington, New Zealand - 5-6 February 2010

USA - 13 -14 February 2010

Adelaide, Australia - 20-21 March 2010

Hong Kong - 26, 27, 28 March 2010

London, England - 22-23 May 2010

Edinburgh, Scotland - 29-30 May 2010

* The 2010 Commonwealth Games Sevens competition will be held in Delhi, India on 5-6 October 2010

The HK tournament is probably the most prestigious annual event of the calendar. I've been there at Sevens time (but unfortunately didn't get to see it) and the place packs out with expats.

ohh - wow I will be in OZ on 5-6 October 2010!!!!

:)

I was just checking if Rugby was on at Gay Games next year in Koln (it has been in past Gay Games). Unforunately not.

By the way, are you going to Koln for the games martin?

I don't know yet - maybe - I have to save my holidays for my "Down Under" vacation next year in october - four weeks is the minimum - that means I have to be careful with my other two weeks (but I have a lot of "overtime hours", too)

Here's the results of Sevens at the Commonwealth Games:

1998 Kuala Lumpur: Gold New Zealand, Silver Fiji, Bronze Australia

2002 Manchester: Gold New Zealand, Silver Fiji, Bronze South Africa

2006 Melbourne: Gold New Zealand, Silver England, Bronze Fiji

New Zealand has a fine tradition at the Commonwealth Games winning gold in the three events so far. We will be trying to make it 4 from 4 next year!

I just wonder if there is any possibility for an introduction of Golf and Rugby Sevens in London 2012?

I think it is remote to say the least as the sport programme has been finalised for the 2012 Olympic Games

I have another question - when Rugby was an Olympic sport from 1900-24 did they play Rugby 7s, too or was it another version?

No, it was the full 15-a-side version in those years.

Interesting Olympic Rugby Facts:

Played: 1900 Paris, 1908 London, 2020 Antwerp, 1924 Paris, tbp 2016 Rio de Janeiro ...

The USA is the reigning Olympic Rugby Gold Medallist. Indeed, depending if you count by golds or total number of medals, the USA can be claimed to be the most successful country at Olympic Rugby with two golds (they successfully defended their title from 1920!). France next with 1 gold and two silvers.

Other Gold Medallists were France 1900, and Australia 1908.

Germany won a Silver Medal (joint silvers with GBR) for the 1900 tournament!

Great Britain has finished with two silvers (1900, 1908)

Interesting that,having been the Olympic champs for the first 4 or 5 Games,the USA seemed to lose all interest in rugby!

Wonder why that was? Could it be that it got overshadowed by American football which resembles rugby with its hand-passing,scrums and touchdowns??

It's great for rugby to get in the Olympics, countries like Samoa, Fiji and Tonga now have a legitimate shot at a medal, since they have 1 medal all time between them (a silver for Tonga in boxing in the ATL in 1996.)

• 3 months later...

Looks like Rugby 7s will bring the same issue to Great britain that it has with Football - the issue of a combined GB team.

Rugby Football Union to ponder GB sevens issues at 2016 Olympic Games in Rio

The complex issues to be overcome before a Great Britain sevens side can be assembled for the Olympic Games in 2016 dominates a landmark conference hosted by the Rugby Football Union at Twickenham.

More than 70 stakeholders from the seven-a-side game, including representatives from the International Rugby Board and other GB Olympic sports, have been invited amid concerns that a lack of planning for the formation of a team could hinder medal chances at the Games in Rio de Janeiro.

The RFU hopes the event will inject some momentum to overcome the challenges of welding together a new team.

The appointment of a management and coaching structure, the release of elite 15-a-side players, entry to pre-Olympics competitions and the issue of whether Northern Irish-born players will be allowed to participate despite the all-Ireland structure of the Irish Rugby Football Union are all likely to be debated.

"One of the vexed questions which we need to resolve is how do we facilitate GB participation and how do we facilitate GB developing as a team pre-participation, given the autonomous nature of the existing unions?" said Terry Burwell, the RFU's director of tournaments and competitions, who will lead the conference.

"We've already met with our four home union colleagues to find a way in which we can work within the existing Olympic and IRB charters and we'll be seeking more views and opinions at the conference.

"The IRB are due to meet with the International Olympic Committee next week and I'm going to be putting a paper together to highlight some of the potential issues of GB participation which includes eligibility, selection, coaching, management and also competitive structures and support.

"Without wishing to be critical of the IRB, they put such time, energy and resources into securing Olympic inclusion and obtained a fantastic result. But they didn't necessarily think, 'What happens now?'

"We will engage the IRB and will try to add some direction to the debate without telling people the way it should be done. This is just a fairly significant piece in the overall jigsaw."

One of Burwell's key concerns is that enough preparation time is given to allow the GB team to have the best chance of success.

Telegraph.co.uk

I was going to say the British Lions should be able to serve as a team - except that also includes Ireland.

Interesting. Just a question off topic I notice that England and Scotland and Wales have their own hockey teams and yet for the Olympics there are Great Britain hockey teams. Maybe Rugby Sevens needs to look to hockey to see how they intergrate their team.

• 2 months later...

Pacific nations realizing their Olympic hopes

HONG KONG (AP) — In the 114-year history of the Olympic movement, Fiji and Samoa have never so much as won a medal.

But their prospects changed on Oct. 9, when the International Olympic Committee voted to include rugby sevens in the 2016 Games in Rio de Janeiro.

The two Pacific island nations may not boast any world-class sprinters or swimmers — but they both happen to be very good at the condensed form of rugby.

Fiji is a two-time World Cup champion. Samoa has never lifted the Melrose Cup, but it’s a formidable contender on the IRB Sevens world series. And the Samoans are in particularly hot form this year, having won three straight titles in Las Vegas, Adelaide, and Hong Kong.

On the sidelines of the Hong Kong Sevens — the biggest and most prestigious event in rugby sevens — organizers and IRB officials revel in their recent Olympic inclusion. Fiji and Samoa are also looking ahead to 2016.

“I haven’t known any athlete from Fiji who has competed in the Olympic Games. I think this is the only opportunity for us to compete,” retired Fiji sevens legend Waisale Serevi, who worked on the rugby bid for Olympic status, told The Associated Press.

“Our country hasn’t won any sort of medal at the Olympic Games. So it gives us the chance to win at least some sort of medal and to be recognized on the Olympic stage,” Samoa sevens coach Stephen Betham said.

Betham said he expects Samoa’s rugby officials to soon start screening teenagers for Olympic potential.

“Our high-performance unit will be looking at surveying schools and how to identify players who can play in the sevens arena and get them to start high-performance programs,” he said.

But the two countries are also careful not to get ahead of themselves. In the six years between now and the Rio Games, the sevens landscape is expected to become more competitive, not just dominated by the Pacific islands and traditional powerhouses such as New Zealand, Australia, England, and South Africa, which also excel at the traditional 15-a-side format. And only 12 teams will qualify for the 2016 Games.

http://www.nwasianweekly.com/2010/04/pacific-nations-realizing-their-olympic-hopes/

Interesting. Just a question off topic I notice that England and Scotland and Wales have their own hockey teams and yet for the Olympics there are Great Britain hockey teams. Maybe Rugby Sevens needs to look to hockey to see how they intergrate their team.

:) I'm sure they will easily think of something...It's going to be a struggle with England and Welsh players dominating. Both Sevens sides are very good :)

It's good to see the IOC trying their best to give all nations a chance at medals, I hope the Sevens dominating Pacific Island teams thrive on the circut as this will be their ultimate Olympic carrot.

• 1 month later...

The International Rugby Board has completed two days of meetings with the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in Lausanne where planning continued to progress for Rugby Sevens' debut at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.

The meetings were the first to be held jointly with representatives from the International Golf Federation since both sports were voted into the Olympic Programme at the 121st IOC Session in Copenhagen last October.

The sessions focused on themes such as Games Management, Olympic Solidarity and NOC engagement while also providing the IRB delegation an opportunity to update participants on their own operational planning developments.

http://www.irb.com/newsmedia/mediazone/pressrelease/newsid=2037978.html

Universal Sports has added Rugby Sevens to their Olympic sports coverage by covering the NCAA Rugby Sevens Tournament. So they have added Rugby Sevens, Hockey and Lacrosse to swimming, track and field, cycling, beach volleyball and others.

Archived