Rugby Sevens

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I noticed that too. Though I wonder why Lacrosse is on the channel.

That's surprising since it's not an Olympic sport. Of course, golf, tennis, soccer and basketball are Olympic Sports, but are not featured on Universal Sports. Golf and Tennis though are shown on Universal Sports parent network NBC, so showing events from Golf and Tennis on Universal Sports isn't necessary. Soccer is not on Universal Sports because Olympic Soccer doesn't have much importance compared to the World Cup and there is the Fox Soccer Channel. Basketball is not on Universal Sports because of NBA TV and ESPN/ABC is the main broadcast partner of the NBA. NBA TV and ESPN/ABC cover everything related to Basketball: The European Tournament, The FIBA World Championships, NCAA Basketball, The NBA, Womens Basketball (NCAA, WNBA, International games on NBA TV).

Also, The NCAA Rugby Sevens Tournament is on NBC as well. It was mentioned earlier today before their golf coverage. I am curious to know when Rugby Sevens became an NCAA sanctioned sport.

Universal Sports has shown/will show soccer if it's a replay of an Olympic Games match. I've seen it. They can rebroadcast any part of the Olympic Games, because NBC owns the rights to do so in this country (including basketball!) But it has to be a replay of the OG's.

That's surprising since it's not an Olympic sport. (snip)

Lacrosse has been an Olympic sport, in 1904 at St Louis and 1908 in London. It has also been a demonstration sport.

Back on the rugby sevens, the IRB and IOC are without a doubt courting the Asia-Pacific audience with rugby 7s for Rio. Aside from Australia, NZ, Fiji, Samoa and Tonga don't count out the likes of Japan, Korea and even China (where rugby is a sport heavily back by of all bodies the PLA). The French could also be a powerhouse by 2016 at the Rio seven's tournament but somehow I can't see a Great Britain team being able to deal with the fluidity, speed and dynamism of 7s with a cobbled together team. Now if it was just about winning through kicking penalty goals maybe that'd be a different story. :P

They just showed some Rugby Sevens on Universal Sports with a replay on NBC. Surprisingly, NBC did a good job of explaining the rules of Rugby Sevens and some of the talk was also comparing Rugby to American Football.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news, rugby fans — and we know you're out there. NBC and sister channel Universal Sports have reached a deal with the International Rugby Board (IRB) for the U.S. television and digital rights to the 2011 and 2015 Rugby World Cups. This will mark the first time the World Cup — like soccer, the sport's biggest event — will air on U.S. television.

NBC will televise two games from each tournament (including the championship match), and the other games will air on Universal Sports (which is currently available in about 63 million homes and airs dozens of international sports, including cycling, skiing, triathlon, swimming and track and field). The 2011 event will be held in New Zealand from Sept. 9 through Oct. 23. The United States team has qualified for the 20-team field.

"This is a very significant rights acquisition for Universal Sports, especially given the growing popularity of rugby around the world and in America," says David Sternberg, CEO of Universal Sports. "We are delighted to be partnering with the IRB for the Rugby World Cup and other top events, and we look forward to showcasing global rugby, at its highest level, for our audiences across all of our platforms."

Rugby's stature is sure to grow thanks to its inclusion (in a modified, seven-a-side format) in the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. Rugby last appeared in the Olympics back in 1924.

NBC and Universal Sports have already started televising rugby, including the collegiate nationals earlier this month. Universal Sports will have live coverage on Saturday from the Churchill Cup, a six-team international tournament including the championship game between England and Canada (June 19, 2:30/1:30c) and the consolation "plate final" between the United States and France (5:30/4:30c). Click here for find Universal Sports in your area.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/NBC-Universal-Sports-1019735.aspx?rss=breakingnews&partnerid=imdb&profileid=01

How many days will last the competition ? I heard some months ago, if I remember well, that it lasted very very few, like 3 or 4 days. So I have some questions: how many matches will they will play every day ? Is it worthy to use 144 athletes in a sport that last so few ? I hope these 144 athletes won't be removed from other sports, it would be really a shame.

Usually there are 16 teams playing over two days. On the first day they are split into 4 groups of 4 and play three group games per team (so 24 games in total), with games beginning every 22 minutes.

On the second day it's the knockout phase, but in Sevens there are several tiers with eliminated teams remaining and competing for the lesser prizes (the Shield, Bowl and Plate) with the semi-final winners playing for the Bowl.

Now with the Olympics obviously only Gold, Silver and Bronze would matter, but as these lesser trophies are played for in all other international sevens tournaments I'm not sure the IRB would make an exception even for the Olympics (and other sports do have ranking races for lesser positions). Ironically too although those eliminated at the group stage and quarter final stage get a second chance, there isn't traditionally a third place match for the losing semi-finalists.

• 2 months later...

More Commonwealth Games related than Olympics, but ties to the Olympics as well...

RE Canada's team

Rugby 7s team set for Commonwealth Games

Rugby Canada on Thursday announced the team that will represent Canada at next month's Commonwealth Games in rugby sevens — a sport that was recently added to the Olympic program.

Canadian head coach Geraint John said he expects Canada to show well in a field full of international powers... (continued)

The full Canadian roster for the Commonwealth Games is as follows:

Nanyak Dala (Saskatoon).

Thyssen de Goede (Victoria) .

Sean Duke (Vancouver) .

Ciaran Hearn (Conception Bay, N.L.).

Nathan Hirayama (Richmond, B.C.).

Phil Mack (Victoria).

Ian Shoults (Calgary).

Neil Meechan (Maple Ridge, B.C.).

Justin Mensah-Coker (Vancouver).

John Moonlight (Pickering, Ont.).

Taylor Paris (Barrie, Ont.).

Conor Trainor (Vancouver).

Full article: CBC: (Canada) Rugby 7s team set for Commonwealth Games

Usually there are 16 teams playing over two days. On the first day they are split into 4 groups of 4 and play three group games per team (so 24 games in total), with games beginning every 22 minutes.

On the second day it's the knockout phase, but in Sevens there are several tiers with eliminated teams remaining and competing for the lesser prizes (the Shield, Bowl and Plate) with the semi-final winners playing for the Bowl.

Now with the Olympics obviously only Gold, Silver and Bronze would matter, but as these lesser trophies are played for in all other international sevens tournaments I'm not sure the IRB would make an exception even for the Olympics (and other sports do have ranking races for lesser positions). Ironically too although those eliminated at the group stage and quarter final stage get a second chance, there isn't traditionally a third place match for the losing semi-finalists.

I don't think the tournament will be only 2 days. Ticketing would be a nightmare.

If there is 16 teams

Day 1

Men's Session: 4 games

Women's Session: 4 games

Men's Session 2: 4 games

Day 2

Women's Session 2: 4 games

Men's Session 3: 4 games

Women's Session 3: 4 games

Day 3

Men's Session 4: 4 games

Women's Session 4: 4 games

Men's Session 5: 4 games

Day 4

Women's Session 5: 4 games

Men's Session 6: 4 games

Women's Session 6: 4 games

Day 5

Women's Quarter-finals: 2 games

Men's Quarter-finals: 2 games

Women's Quarter;finals: 2 games

Day 6

Women's Semi-finals: 2 games

Day 7

Men's Semi-finals: 2 games

Women's final and 3rd place: 2 games

Men's Final and 3rd place: 2 games

The IOC is going to want to make the most of the ticketing.

• 1 year later...

IRB Sanctions Women's 7s in Dubai

DUBAI, UAE – The International Rugby Board has underscored its commitment to delivering annual international Women’s Sevens competition with the first IRB-sanctioned Women’s International Sevens tournament set to take place as part of the Emirates Airline Dubai Rugby Sevens on 2-3 December 2011.

The tournament will be played alongside the men’s HSBC Sevens World Series Round 2 action in Dubai, with the semi finals and finals to be played on the main pitch at 7he Sevens stadium.

The teams to compete in Dubai are reigning women’s Sevens world champions Australia, South Africa, USA, Canada, England, Brazil, China and Spain.

The best women’s Sevens players in the world will be competing for the IRB Women’s Sevens Challenge Cup in Dubai. The cost of staging the tournament and supporting the teams is being managed through direct IRB funding and the generous support of Emirates.

The move, a key delivery as part of the wider IRB Women’s Strategic Plan, is the first step in the IRB’s strategy to develop a new IRB International Women’s Sevens Series, which is planned from 2012 onwards.

This exciting addition to the international women’s rugby calendar is a milestone on the road to Rio 2016, the first Olympic Games for both men’s and women’s Rugby Sevens since the IOC overwhelmingly voted to include the exciting and competitive sport.

The development is also a timely boost for the world’s best women’s teams as they continue their preparations for Rugby World Cup Sevens 2013 in Moscow, Russia.

http://www.rugbymag.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1950:irb-sanctions-womens-7s-in-dubai&catid=83:hsbc-sevens-world-series&Itemid=266

I don't think the tournament will be only 2 days. Ticketing would be a nightmare.

If there is 16 teams

Day 1

Men's Session: 4 games

Women's Session: 4 games

Men's Session 2: 4 games

Day 2

Women's Session 2: 4 games

Men's Session 3: 4 games

Women's Session 3: 4 games

Day 3

Men's Session 4: 4 games

Women's Session 4: 4 games

Men's Session 5: 4 games

Day 4

Women's Session 5: 4 games

Men's Session 6: 4 games

Women's Session 6: 4 games

Day 5

Women's Quarter-finals: 2 games

Women's Quarter;finals: 2 games

Day 6

Women's Semi-finals: 2 games

Day 7

Men's Semi-finals: 2 games

Women's final and 3rd place: 2 games

Men's Final and 3rd place: 2 games

The IOC is going to want to make the most of the ticketing.

A year late but you obviously don't understand the sport - or indeed the Olympics. Sevens is always played over 2-3 days - that's the appeal of it, it isn't dragged out needlessly. The IRB aren't going to budge from that - and the IOC aren't going to milk it as under your plan it would need it's own stadium. Under the usual format it can easily be played in the Olympic Stadium or a football stadium when they're not in use.

• 1 month later...

Rugby-Sport's giants will compete in Sevens, Rogge predicts

(Reuters) - While the full 15-a-side rugby game will be making no appearance at the Olympics any time soon, its biggest names will one day be challenging for gold, but in the Sevens version, International Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge said on Friday.

Rugby returns to the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro in 2016 -- its first appearance since 1924 -- as the Sevens version rather than the full-blown affair.

But this does not mean the giants of the sport are doomed to remain outside the Olympic ring, Rogge said, predicting that the lure of gold would eventually prove too strong.

"I think this will come with time," the former Belgian international told reporters when asked if he could envisage a time when the biggest names in world rugby would once again compete on an Olympic stage.

"I am quite sure that with the evolution we see with Sevens that players will be tempted to go to the Olympic Games.

"Again, it may not be that easy, because the transition is not that easy to do -- it requires some different skills, but yes ..."

Sevens was admitted back on to the Olympic programme in 2009 after almost a century away. The reigning champions are the 1924 gold medallist, the United States.

Sevens was an attractive option for the IOC due to its speed, youth appeal and the number of countries competing around the world. The 15-man version is another matter entirely, though.

"At the moment it just doesn't seem feasible," said Rogge, in New Zealand for the rugby World Cup. "We can't ask a (15-a-side) team to play four or five games in 16 days. That is just not feasible."

The 15-a-side game is far more physically demanding, and players require more time to rest and recover and for impact injuries to heal.

Rogge said the IOC would meet with world rugby's governing body the IRB to discuss the thorny issue of Sevens qualifying which is sure to be controversial.

"We try to balance two things -- quality, but also universality," he said.

"We want teams from the five continents but we also want the best teams.

"And in some regions the qualification of course may be harder than the Games themselves," he added, referring to the great strength in depth in Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands.

"But this too we have in other sports."

Reuters

:mellow: The actual Sevens Olympics Finals will most likely be trimmed down to 16 teams each gender with qualifications over a year period. This would give the main stadium two days to host the programme. This was tried at the Manchester Commonwealth Games in 2002, and worked well.

:mellow: The actual Sevens Olympics Finals will most likely be trimmed down to 16 teams each gender with qualifications over a year period. This would give the main stadium two days to host the programme. This was tried at the Manchester Commonwealth Games in 2002, and worked well.

There is no way it will be 16 teams. More like 12 or even 8. Basketball and volleyball deserve more spots then rugby.

There is no way it will be 16 teams. More like 12 or even 8. Basketball and volleyball deserve more spots then rugby.

The IRB has proposed 12 teams each for mens and womens at the SOGs, but the IOC has apparently suggested more???

Apparently one of the other sticking points still to work out is the qualification structure. Because it's the Olympics, the IOC are after a more even-spread continental qualification structure, which SANZAR isn't happy about because it's going to limit how many teams Oceania especially can send - there's fears the Pacific islands could miss out against the obvious regional powers Oz and NZ.

The IRB has proposed 12 teams each for mens and womens at the SOGs, but the IOC has apparently suggested more???

Apparently one of the other sticking points still to work out is the qualification structure. Because it's the Olympics, the IOC are after a more even-spread continental qualification structure, which SANZAR isn't happy about because it's going to limit how many teams Oceania especially can send - there's fears the Pacific islands could miss out against the obvious regional powers Oz and NZ.

Honestly I was just thinking about that. And why would SA of SANZAR care, it will get there no matter what. And in every team sport at the Olympics potential medalist are left off because of continental competition.

I would give the Americas 2, Europe 3, Africa 2, Asia 2 and Oceania 3. And women, add one to Europe, take one from Africa.

Or you could just give every continent 1 and have a qualifying tournament were the top 6 qualify.

I like that suggestion!

Assuming things a bit: this would mean that Canada, England, South Africa, Japan, New Zealand and Wales would have qualified already. That would mean France, Ireland, Italy, Argentina, the USA, Georgia, Portugal, Namibia, Papue New Guinea, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji and Australia would have to fight for the 6 remaining spots. I suspect a few of them wouldn't like that.

I just watched the rugby 7 matches in the PanAmerican and let me say rugby 7 degrades rugby in general. It seems a cheap/amateur version of such a great sport.

At least for me...

Not sure about the others but I didn't like this rugby7 thing.

I'm not sure I agree, but perhaps it's because being from a rugby nation I can easily identify the place of both games in a rugby loving country.

I guess it's flashy, lacks the grunt and long winded tactical essence of the 15 man game, it's more of a game of chance it's true - but it's a game of great skill.

One of New Zealand's most hailed rugby coaches, most successful and one of the hardest task masters of the game is the NZ 7s coach - Gordon Tietjins. He's one of the best coaches when it comes to conditioning and his players are probably some of the fittest in New Zealand sport.

It's certainly produced some of the greatest All Blacks to play the game - Jonah Lomu, Christian Cullen etc etc

It's never going to overtake the 15 a side game, but it's certainly more accessible and in a way reflects the most basic form of the game, the social one that you will see joe public playing on a saturday arvo at a bbq - chucking the ball around the field and having fun.

In an ideal world the propper form of the game would be at the Olympics, but it's just not feasible unfortunately.

Sevens is a good window to rugby for the world.

I know the sevens tournament at the KL98 Commonwealth Games was arguably the most festive crowd of all sports at those games.

Assuming things a bit: this would mean that Canada, England, South Africa, Japan, New Zealand and Wales would have qualified already. That would mean France, Ireland, Italy, Argentina, the USA, Georgia, Portugal, Namibia, Papue New Guinea, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji and Australia would have to fight for the 6 remaining spots. I suspect a few of them wouldn't like that.

Yes, but qualifying for the Olympic Games is supposed to be difficult for everyone, and there's always someone who could do well at the Olympics that doesn't manage to qualify. There are 19 rugby teams listed there, and all of them are really good, but some will just fail to qualify (up to 7 if it's a 12-team tournament). This happens in every other sport. For example, Argentina (men) and Germany (women) are two really good football teams that won't be competing in London. Same happens to Serbia (men), Spain (women) and Belarus (women) in basketball, not to mention that three among Russia, Spain, Japan, Ukraine, Italy and the USA will not qualify their synchronized swimming team, while weaker teams like Egypt or Australia have already qualified because of being the best from their continents... Continental qualification spreads the Olympics to every part of the world, but as a result, not all the best teams can compete.

Archived