World Cup Qualifiers

The matches between Chile v. Ecuador and Uruguay v. Argentina has been two of the most boring matches I've ever seen. In the match at Santiago, even the people was bored and more worried about anything; at least we won. And Uruguay v. Argentina... it was incredible... the people were so excited, even some Uruguayans threw a noise bomb to the Argentinean team... but the football players were so boring, it was like they were playing a friendly match... incredible... and now, Maradona will breath quietly, shame on him!

Congratulations to Slovakia and Switzerland... I'm sorry for Hungary and Sweden, I was hoping for them but Portugal losing against Malta would have been incredible.

I would like to see France, Russia, Greece and Bosnia... or any country except Portugal

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8th.

Uruguay should be able to beat Costa Rica. Thank G-d the American came from 2-0 down to tie it at 2-2 I am happy that Honduras has qualified

Honduras, Slovakia, Chile, Denmark, and Korea DPR will make appearances after not being in Germany. This includes Slovakia's first appearance ever. And Cameroon or Gabon and Algeria or Morocco will add to that list and potentially Nigeria. And the winner of Bahrain v New Zealand will also provide a new team compared to 4 years earlier. Also if Uruguay defeats Costa Rica they will provide another new face.

I brought my tickets today for the world cup qualifier between New Zealand and Bahrain. Tickets are nearly sold out! Should be the biggest football game on New Zealand soil.

It will also be the first football game I have attended. Cant wait till November 14

Uruguay should be able to beat Costa Rica. Thank G-d the American came from 2-0 down to tie it at 2-2 I am happy that Honduras has qualified

That was a great match. I watched it on Cable Tv and Borestein tied the game on the last minute. That was exciting!

Congrats to the USA and I hope they do a great World Cup this time.

I brought my tickets today for the world cup qualifier between New Zealand and Bahrain. Tickets are nearly sold out! Should be the biggest football game on New Zealand soil.

It will also be the first football game I have attended. Cant wait till November 14

On top of that for you, I sincerely wish that over at the Westpac Trust Stadium (aka the Caketin) a special pre-game ceremony should take place to salute the 1982 New Zealand All-Whites World Cup team like Wynton Rufer in a reunion to inspire and cheer the current batch on (Ricki Herbert is already the current coach). NZ is due for another trip to the world's biggest soccer show, and the 1982 team needs some national company in its history just like the 1974 Socceroos across the Tazman Sea had to wait 32 agonizing years to see another team make it from Australia. Hope the big time international experience during the Confederation Cup helps.

Go All-Whites!

The Game between New Zealand and Bahrain on November 14 is almost a sell out with only 400 tickets of the 35000 on sail remailing. This will be the biggest football attence in New Zealand. Very exciting.

I cross my fingers (in German the phrase is "I press my thumbs") for the Kiwis!!

I hope you will enjoy your first football match (but you do know the rules?)

It will become a really exciting event! Will you go with your brothers or with some friends? I suppose there won't be any seat empty in the stadium!!

Do you know if there are many fans coming from Bahrain to Wellington?

I am going with friends. It should be great. Not sure on how many Bahrain supporters will travel to wellington. There could be a few but I am not sure.

Play-offs:

Republic of Ireland v France

Portugal v Bosnia-Herzegovina

Greece v Ukraine

Russia v Slovenia

Absolutely disgusting that FIFA have done a u-turn and decided to seed this draw. Why do France, Portugal, Greece and Russia deserve a seeding more than the other teams? All have failed to qualify directly and the draw shouldn't favour so-called "big" teams at this stage, because they had their chance in the groups and blew it.

Come one Ireland! Come on Bosnia! Come on Slovenia! And come on....Greece! (after their fans threw flairs at our 'keeper Ukrainians don't deserve a team there, so I'll go with the seeded team on that one).

I hadn't realized that FIFA changed the rules part way through qualifying to try and ensure struggling teams, cough Portugal cough, to get through.

The poor Irish.

Hopefully Bosnia can get it done against Portugal. I'm surprised FIFA didn't fix the draw to ensure Portugal faced Slovenia.

Play-offs:

Republic of Ireland v France

Portugal v Bosnia-Herzegovina

Greece v Ukraine

Russia v Slovenia

Absolutely disgusting that FIFA have done a u-turn and decided to seed this draw. Why do France, Portugal, Greece and Russia deserve a seeding more than the other teams? All have failed to qualify directly and the draw shouldn't favour so-called "big" teams at this stage, because they had their chance in the groups and blew it.

Come one Ireland! Come on Bosnia! Come on Slovenia! And come on....Greece! (after their fans threw flairs at our 'keeper Ukrainians don't deserve a team there, so I'll go with the seeded team on that one).

Don't really follow the inner workings of FIFA that much, but maybe because the 4 seeded countries have more powerful leagues and therefore greater influence w/in FIFA or its executive board members?

Same here. It would be really great if we have, for the first time, two teams from Oceania in the World Cup.

Good luck, kiwis !!!!

Geographically, Australia and New Zealand are in Oceania. But the Socceroos already qualified this time to South Africa, very early than it did in the past, as a member of the Asian Football Confederation--it's been a member since January 1, 2006 after moving from the OFC. It wouldn't be on the verge were it not for that. The move was facilitatated in part of the need for the Socceroos to get much-needed and consistent higher class competition than it was getting from its fellow island nations to get themselves more World Cup-ready, despite the array of very good Aussies on the team. If they were still an Oceania member, they'd be facing Bahrain in the playoff series right now and NZ, now the class of the OFC, would be out of it. Oh yeah, FIFA did fleetingly grant an automatic spot to Oceania for the 2006 World Cup in 2003, but over objections from the highly-clouted UEFA and COMEBOL member nations, it got scrapped with the quickness with NZ's dismal performance at that year's Confederation Cup made for a convient excuse.

All this talk of the Kiwis harken back to that fun and interesting time in 1982. Oh, what you can find at YouTube dealing with the All-Whites!

Ray Woolfe's cheesy "Heading For the Top" 1982 All Whites Theme Song (with footage of 1982 World Cup group versus Brazil afterward)

A hilarious--and unauthorized--history of the 1982 All Whites World Cup campaign

Geographically, Australia and New Zealand are in Oceania. But the Socceroos already qualified this time to South Africa, very early than it did in the past, as a member of the Asian Football Confederation--it's been a member since January 1, 2006 after moving from the OFC. It wouldn't be on the verge were it not for that. The move was facilitatated in part of the need for the Socceroos to get much-needed and consistent higher class competition than it was getting from its fellow island nations to get themselves more World Cup-ready, despite the array of very good Aussies on the team. If they were still an Oceania member, they'd be facing Bahrain in the playoff series right now and NZ, now the class of the OFC, would be out of it. Oh yeah, FIFA did fleetingly grant an automatic spot to Oceania for the 2006 World Cup in 2003, but over objections from the highly-clouted UEFA and COMEBOL member nations, it got scrapped with the quickness with NZ's dismal performance at that year's Confederation Cup made for a convient excuse.

All this talk of the Kiwis harken back to that fun and interesting time in 1982. Oh, what you can find at YouTube dealing with the All-Whites!

Ray Woolfe's cheesy "Heading For the Top" 1982 All Whites Theme Song (with footage of 1982 World Cup group versus Brazil afterward)

A hilarious--and unauthorized--history of the 1982 All Whites World Cup campaign

New Zealand is not a football nation. However we have been steadily improving recently after scoring our First draw at a Confederations cup. We are really excited here in New Zealand with the upcomming game here on November 14. If New Zealand beat Bahrain and whether you like it or not we will qualify for the World Cup. It will be huge for New Zealand football if we can qualify.

:)

I understand your statements, Durban. But even so Australia is still geographically located in Oceania, even playing for the Asian Confederation.

In South America we have the same case with Guyana, Surinam and French Guyana: they do not play Conmebol events. Instead they´re filliated to the CONCACAF.

Israel and Turkey for UEFA is another case too.

Archived