World Cup Qualifiers

Peru v Bolivia

The two worse teams in South America, no chances for them. Would anyone mind watching this game rather than the Peruvians ?

Chile v Ecuador - Ecuador needs to beat the Chileans by 5 goals and Uru v Arg is a draw

Unlikely, Chile has a very good team. Ecuador may actually win but not by 5 goals.

This going to be a very exciting day for S.A. qualifiers, specially the URU x ARG clash. That´s a historical, folkloric rivalry.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ecuador won't qualify directly. It needs a win to get to the play-off. And beating Chile in Santiago is a very difficult job.

However, if Ecuador gets the play-off spot, it will be very difficult to beat. The game will be played at 2.800m high Quito. Brazil was very lucky to secure a draw there this time and Argentina lost it. I don't think either Honduras or Costa Rica will be able to match Ecuador in those conditions.

Its most likely that Chile is going to win against Ecuador and both Uruguay and Argentina will be in the top five and both will be able to beat Costa Rica or Honduras.

I agree, that's why I've said that beating Chile in Santiago is difficult job by itself. I am just saying that Ecuador will not go for the goal difference against Chile. It is a different tactical option of play. Trying to build a 5 goal margin would mean risking the possible chance of a play-off spot. Ecuador will probably play to win, but without taking to much risk. The play-off is a very good option for them.

Portugal v Malta - Portugal wins and they are in the playoff

Sweden v Albania - Sweden is in the playoffs if they win and Malta draws Portugal

I'd prefer Sweden to qualify over Portugal, but they're an aging team. I'll be frank, I can't stand Cristiano Ronaldo.

Czech Republic v Northern Ireland - Czech Republic is the playoff finisher if they beat NI and Slovenia fails to beat San Marino

Poland v Slovakia - Slovakia wins and they're in

San Marino v Slovenia - Slovenia wins and they are in the playoffs, Slovenia wins and Slovakia draws or loses they are into the finals.

I would go for the Czechs and Slovakia to qualify but again I find it hard for San Marino to win.

Estonia v Belgium

Nothing can change in the group, poor Belgium - Spain qualified, Bosnia second (I hate Bosnia now, poaching Canadian playoff)

Pretty sad to see Belgium not qualify for the second time. Although, their campaign this time was rubbish.

Andorra v Ukraine - Ukraine wins, they are in the playoffs

Kazakhstan v Croatia - Croatia wins combined with a Ukrainian draw or lose and they are in the playoffs

I still think the Croatian deserve to qualify more than the Ukrainians !

Based on the only thing that matters - the quality of football played - Ukraine certainly deserve to go ahead of Croatia. We thrashed Croatia twice; they're not the same team they used to be. Ukraine very nearly got a draw at Wembley, giving us our toughest home match in the group by a long-shot, and they beat us in their own country.

After last week's debacle, I'd rather see the Croatian fans in South Africa than the Ukrainians, but that's an entirely different matter. On football alone Ukraine more than deserve their likely play-off spot.

I'd prefer Sweden to qualify over Portugal, but they're an aging team. I'll be frank, I can't stand Cristiano Ronaldo.

I would go for the Czechs and Slovakia to qualify but again I find it hard for San Marino to win.

Pretty sad to see Belgium not qualify for the second time. Although, their campaign this time was rubbish.

I am sorry to say that I don't see your wishes come true. By the way, I don't like Cristiano Ronaldo as well and he is not the one helping Portugal to get in, but the Brazilians on the team: Deco, Pepe and Liedson. However, facing Malta at home is almost a sure thing.

By the way, the series of matches with the lame ducks in the groups is making all of this confrontations pretty predictable:

- Portugal against Malta would put Portugal in the play-off.

- Slovenia against San Marino would leave the Czechs out and Slovakia needing to beat Poland away to avoid the play-off.

- Ukraine against Andorra would put Ukraine through to the play-off.

- Greece against Luxembourg would leave Israel out and Switzerland needing a draw at home against Israel to avoid the play-off.

There is little hope for surprises now.

Ukraine won 6-0 against Andorra, Croatia won 2-1 against Kazakhstan. So Croatia is out, Ukraine has reached the play-offs.

Ooh, I didn't know those matches had been played already. Thanks for the update :)

I'm about to watch England's final qualifier. Wish us luck! ;):P

Yep. I want Slovenia and Greece to make it. Switzerland don't deserve it after that Quarter Final in 2006. At least Greece have some international pedigree!

And Greece doesn't deserve it after that abysmal performance in EURO 2008. The Swiss team at least has the courage and ability to play offensively.

What that they got ridiculously lucky playing the boringest football I've ever seen. And judging Switzerland on 2006 is misguided and ignorant. They played well for themselves at home last year but just didn't have the finishing. How can 23 players from 4 years ago mean that the current 23 players don't deserve to be in the next world cup?

Meanwhile, Slovakia is still heading for the last remaining direct qualifying spot for a European team, leading 1-0 against Poland.

Also Portugal is heading for the play-off spot in group 1 (leading 3-0 against Malta) and Slovenia is heading for the play-off spot in group 3 (currently 2-0 against San Marino while the Czechs are only at a 0-0 against Northern Ireland).

So the directly qualified teams from Europe are:

Denmark

Switzerland

Slovakia

Germany

Spain

England

Serbia

Italy

Netherlands

Taking part in the European play-offs on November 14 and 18 are:

Portugal

Greece

Slovenia

Russia

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Ukraine

France

Ireland

Norway is out.

The draw for the play-offs will take place next Monday, October 19.

The seeded teams are likely France, Russia, Greece and Portugal

So the possible matches

France v Slovenia, Ukraine, Bosnia or Ireland

Russia v the same

Greece v the same

Portugal v the same

I hope for France v Ukraine, Russia v Slovenia, Greece v Ireland and Portugal v Ukraine.

Archived