2022 Winter Olympics

Handa

Volcanoes are scary, I guess that's why you can't ski Seattle either, Mt. Ranier

Rainier

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess Santa Fe would be closest to Taos. I used to think Las Cruces was above Albuquerque :lol:

above geographically

Volcanoes are scary, I guess that's why you can't ski Seattle either, Mt. Ranier

Rainier

Villarrica volcano isn't scary... but most of the surroundings are zones declared as "hazardous" by the Chilean government. 200 people died in the last eruption in 1971. So, I don't think anyone will spent billions in something that can be destroyed anytime.

Especially if Santiago is much better option... you know, just 400 times bigger.

why not new zealand be a candidate????

nice snow and mountains there...

Um, I think this was an option probably explored to death a few years back when there were rumours of a Christchurch bid (c'mon guys, was it 2010 or 2014 they were thinking of?). Christchurch and maybe Santiago are the two southern hemisphere locations that seem to have got the most attention in this forum, but I'd think the IOC members have no interest whatsoever to go below the equator. Plus (and others can chime in on this) Christchurch would have to rely on Queenstown for alpine skiing which may not have the height for an Olympic downhill (plus distance between venues might be an issue).

Now if we were talking Smiggins Hole 2010...that's another story:

I guess Santa Fe would be closest to Taos. I used to think Las Cruces was above Albuquerque :lol:

Albuquerque would be the best bet for a Winter Olympics in Mew Mexico. Las Cruces is down near the U.S.-Mexico border and is the site of New Mexico State University. Went down there on weekend for a football game. Nice college town. I raised the speculation of an Albuquerque Olympics in an earlier post. Just speculation on my part but, here's how an Olympics in Albquerque might look:

Ice events in Albqurque

Tingley Coliseum - figure skating and short track speed skating

Albuquerque Arena - ice hockey (Plans for a new 15,000 seat arena in downtown have been on and off again for a while. An Olympic Games could be the catalyst to finally getting it built

Albquerque Convention Center Indoor Track Hall - speed skating (Home of the New Mexico Lobos indoor track team would temporarily be converted for speed skating competition. I suppose building a permanent facility would be an option but I'm not sure how feasible it would be in the long term.)

Curling Arena - curling (Built on the campus of the University of New Mexico and would be converted to an indoor practice facility for the New Mexico Lobos football team after the Olympics.)

University of New Mexico - Olympic Village

University Stadium - Ceremonies

Ski events would be centered on Taos, Santa Fe, and Angel Fire. Alpine events would be at Taos.

Ice events in Albqurque

Tingley Coliseum - figure skating and short track speed skating

Albuquerque Arena - ice hockey (Plans for a new 15,000 seat arena in downtown have been on and off again for a while. An Olympic Games could be the catalyst to finally getting it built

Albquerque Convention Center Indoor Track Hall - speed skating (Home of the New Mexico Lobos indoor track team would temporarily be converted for speed skating competition. I suppose building a permanent facility would be an option but I'm not sure how feasible it would be in the long term.)

Curling Arena - curling (Built on the campus of the University of New Mexico and would be converted to an indoor practice facility for the New Mexico Lobos football team after the Olympics.)

University of New Mexico - Olympic Village

University Stadium - Ceremonies

Ski events would be centered on Taos, Santa Fe, and Angel Fire. Alpine events would be at Taos.

That sounds really cool!!!

Do you think that Albuquerque would be good winter dew tour stop?

Um, I think this was an option probably explored to death a few years back when there were rumours of a Christchurch bid (c'mon guys, was it 2010 or 2014 they were thinking of?). Christchurch and maybe Santiago are the two southern hemisphere locations that seem to have got the most attention in this forum, but I'd think the IOC members have no interest whatsoever to go below the equator. Plus (and others can chime in on this) Christchurch would have to rely on Queenstown for alpine skiing which may not have the height for an Olympic downhill (plus distance between venues might be an issue).

Now if we were talking Smiggins Hole 2010...that's another story:

Yeah, we had done that to death! But we'd established that the Queenstown region AND Mt Hutt could both handle the vertical drop requirement (but then again, I doubt Mt Hutt could handle ALL the alpine requirements by itself). Yeah, there's the distance factor, but the real killer for all the southern potentials is the season-sports calendar issue.

Now, a Youth Winter Olympics in NZ could be a more realistic goer ....

The distance between Christchurch and Queenstown is simply too big. It would never work. Even A Dunedin/Queenstown bid (which is several hundred kilometers closer than Christchurch) would be a struggle.

Queenstown really needs to be focusing on getting bigger and expanding its capacity. An Otoga bid that focused on Queenstown and included Dunedin for ceremonies, hockey, speed skating and figure skating would be the most ideal. Having the large university population in Dunedin would certainly be helpful.

so quebec city.

the quebec premier said today that quebec should (which means they will) bid for 2022 winter games. i did a little lookey loo on google and it seems that le massif now has a fis certified downhill. i wasnt able to verify if there have been any world cups or other competitions run on this hill. obviously they will need to hold some of these competitions to test this run.

i do think that quebec city would make a great host. however i think that 2022 might be a little early to come back to canada. i also think that the coc should be going after a summer games before hosting another winter games.

i do think that quebec city would make a great host. however i think that 2022 might be a little early to come back to canada. i also think that the coc should be going after a summer games before hosting another winter games.

Aree with all those assertions. Hosts always long to re-live the experience again, but 2022 is a cycle or two too early. Abnd I'd love to see Toronto tackle the summer task before another Canuck winter games.

so quebec city.

the quebec premier said today that quebec should (which means they will) bid for 2022 winter games. i did a little lookey loo on google and it seems that le massif now has a fis certified downhill. i wasnt able to verify if there have been any world cups or other competitions run on this hill. obviously they will need to hold some of these competitions to test this run.

It's certified for Women's downhill I believe, with a vertical of 770 meters. 800 meters vertical drop is needed minimum for Men's downhill. It could be possible to develop the other side of the mountain, cap it to 800 meter vertical. It could be done, and is far more reasonable than a temporary ramp system.

Quebec will have a big boost to any future bid aspirations given that they propose a new sports/hotel area near the airport. It might be a little early to come back to Canada, but it would be interesting to see their proposal.

The 2002 Quebec bid book proposed 2 sites for Men's downhill, Cap du Salut or Acropole des Draveurs both verging into rivers.

Cap du Salut near Le Massif and Acropole des Draveurs, further inland. Both of which are undeveloped.

Another proposal of a ramp system is now ridiculous, so the only solution is to increase the height of each mountain. Cap the top of either one (ideally Cap du Salut, due to it's proximity to Quebec City, and having nearby main roads which could connect to the mountain) of the mountains by say 100-200 meters, (Cap du Salut proposed a vertical of 805 meters so the mountain has to be at least 810 meters) (Acropole des Draveurs had 810 meters vertical drop) with a finishing area on LAND, not in temporary barges in the river.

It could work and would be far more reasonable than any ramp design. Plus, it would provide lasting legacy, unlike the ramp, which although was claimed to have future use hosting Men's Downhill, was unlikely.

I wish Denver had not kicked the IOC to the curb in 76, it would unbelievable for all events, athletes and spectators. Reno will work too and smaller is always nice for atmosphere, these big city Vancouver games are a bit impersonal feeling even though Vancouver is one of the most fantastic destination for skiing due to Whistler.

*Plus.....summer games are such a cluster-fuc* and winter events are SO MUCH MORE EXCITING! Keep it cold USA!

You could have done your part in developing the board, if you had stayed here over these years...

OK, here is a few bones for you:

Finlands sports minister calls for a pan-nordic (FIN and NO/SE) bid for 2022, and is supported by the Finnish olympic committee. According to the article, joint bids are accepted by IOC if the host country does not have the 800 m drop downhill course.

Will N or S jump on this wagon? Probably never.

If N or S does jump, will such a bid have any chance? Like a snowball in hell.....

Playing on similar strings, politicians of Jemtland / Jämtland (county of Östersund) and North Trøndelag (county north of Trondheim, Norway) are working

for a transborder bid. The idea is not so bad, if it weren't for the IOC rules, as this could be an inexpensive way where Sweden could get olympic glory while leaning on the Trondheim infrastructure, Trondheim being much larger than Østersund and with a huge ski interest. In fact, Trondheim airport is the closest major airport to Åre. But again, a transborder bid, will it happen? Probably not, espec. since there are downhill possibilities on both sides of the border.

Has anyone ever thought of a Davos, Switzerland bid? I just think that would be perfect, especially thinking past 2022. It looks very pituresque, and I would imagine could use any arena after the games for conference room during the annual world economic forum.

Also, I think Schladming, Austria appears to be very beautiful.

Nowadays, you need a large city for a winter bid.

So for Europe Lausanne, Geneva, Zurich or Bern in Switzerland

Innsbruck Klagenfurt or Salzburg in Austria

Munich in Germany

Grenoble or Lyons in France

Barcelona or Zaragozza in Spain

Torino in Italy

etc.

Archived