2016 Olympics Will Be A Mess

NaNa

The odd thing I find with using Murder rates 7 years before a games is that you can't predict what the murder rate will be 7 years from the awarding of the games .

New York City used to be one of the most violence places in America but over time they started to address things and eventually they ended up bidding on the 2012 games . Did anyone Say about NYC's homicide rate in 2005 which was still probably higher then London , Paris Madrid or Moscow's ?

In the 1970 and 80's New york could have had the title city known the most in the world for Murder Rate.

Jim Jones

Crime rates relating to a host city are relevant. This is an area which Rio will have to address as the security of athletes and spectators is of paramount importance. If nothing is done about the violence in Rio then at the very least we can say they will remain the same - 6000 murders a year is totally mind boggling so the authorities need to tackle this problem.

New York's crime rate is nowhere near this and they are not hosting an Olympic games so mentioning them is irrelevant. Rio is hosting the games in 2016 so scrutiny is turned to them.

London gets scrutinised, Beijing got scrutinised and any city hosting will get scrutinised.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I beliebe Olympic Games will be a great opportunity for Rio in terms of infastruture cultural development, as i see, i haven't been there, it is one of the most beautiful cities in the world and it is really promising to have the best games ever.

:)

In 2016, the most beautiful games in history.

Crime rates relating to a host city are relevant. This is an area which Rio will have to address as the security of athletes and spectators is of paramount importance. If nothing is done about the violence in Rio then at the very least we can say they will remain the same - 6000 murders a year is totally mind boggling so the authorities need to tackle this problem.

New York's crime rate is nowhere near this and they are not hosting an Olympic games so mentioning them is irrelevant. Rio is hosting the games in 2016 so scrutiny is turned to them.

London gets scrutinised, Beijing got scrutinised and any city hosting will get scrutinised.

IMO SOG preparation is an unique chance for Rio and the city won't miss it.

I am sure, we are going to witness once again how well planed games can help the development of a city.

I do believe that Brazil, and Rio, can stage a great OG, but we all know how politics and speculation work in our country, so I think we shouldn´t be so optimistic, at least for while. Remember that we have the WC two years before, and we can be sure that the WC will get most of the attention in the next years than the OG, in our country.

I honestely believe that the games will be held perfectely, but I sincerely don´t see it impressioning like Sidney or Barcelona did. We are already finding troubles, for example, with the golf course.

All right, I´m really happy with the opportunity that our country has now. Let´s celebrate but not forget that we have A LOT, as a nation, to do. And if we don´t do less than that "lot" things may not go so smooth or sweet as we think.

I do believe that Brazil, and Rio, can stage a great OG, but we all know how politics and speculation work in our country, so I think we shouldn´t be so optimistic, at least for while. Remember that we have the WC two years before, and we can be sure that the WC will get most of the attention in the next years than the OG, in our country.

I honestely believe that the games will be held perfectely, but I sincerely don´t see it impressioning like Sidney or Barcelona did. We are already finding troubles, for example, with the golf course.

All right, I´m really happy with the opportunity that our country has now. Let´s celebrate but not forget that we have A LOT, as a nation, to do. And if we don´t do less than that "lot" things may not go so smooth or sweet as we think.

I'm pretty sure Rio's Olympic games will be spectacular.

When non-Brazilians think of Rio they think of beaches, colour, sparkle, carnival, samba. I think Rio's games will be energetic and fun and lively and really engage the audience worldwide.

Different cities host in different ways. I don't think Rio's games will be the most technically perfect games. I don't think Brazil will emphasize that the way the Chinese did or how London will do. I think Britain, China, Canada etc can all produce more technically accomplished games but I don't think that matters as the worldwide audience don't scrutinise the games the way we do on these forums. The world will only see the spectacle and will enjoy it.

But I do think Rio will leave a lasting impression - no city has hosted the games before that is remotely similar to Rio so it has a unique selling point.

I can't see why Rio can't deliver technical perfect games...

For example, for PanAm, Brazilian NOC hired the same companies Olympic City hosts hires for organizational, broadcasting...

We had no problems with competitions, except for a storm that almost destroyed the baseball/softball temporary venue. They, unfortunatelly had to cancel the competition in middle.

This storm also made the tennis competition to be moved to a indoor court (it's easier to find tennis courts in Rio than baseball ones, since Brazil has no tradition in baseball, and Rio had only Cidade do Rock venue for it).

As I read in Orkut, Rio was choose only to be a location...

The requirements from IOC and federations will be the same for any host city: the companies hired, the people involved...

I sincerely don´t see it impressioning like Sidney or Barcelona did.

Or Seoul, or Beijing, or Athens...

Which major problems we had with games?

None... All of them were great. Some of them excites more about landscape and/or culture involved in Opening Ceremony.

But I do think Rio will leave a lasting impression - no city has hosted the games before that is remotely similar to Rio so it has a unique selling point.

I sincerely hope so.

The problem is not the city itself or its citizens, but our politicians and our "sophisticated" bureaucracy.

It they don´t do things right this time, we can lose a chance of staging these spectacular games.

that´s why I try not to feel so optimistic, at least while we don´t see the works of progress.

We had no problems with competitions, except for a storm that almost destroyed the baseball/softball temporary venue. They, unfortunatelly had to cancel the competition in middle.

This storm also made the tennis competition to be moved to a indoor court (it's easier to find tennis courts in Rio than baseball ones, since Brazil has no tradition in baseball, and Rio had only Cidade do Rock venue for it).

Sort of, Danny. These two you cited caused a lot of concern in the media. Don´t forget that we had problems with the bmx track as well, where audiences had to watch the finish line stood up in a camp of mood.

There was some problems with ticketing too. Many people bought tickets in advance for some finals just to discover that their places would be occupied by Globo Tv artists, media barons and others. (that was notable specially in the basketball/volleyball finals). The distribution of the Pan Club tickets was confusing as well.

The bad behaviour of the audiences during the gymnatics, judo and track and field competitions, booing athletes, was also notable.

We all know that the Pan American Games were good and we have some spectacle, but we didn´t achieve the technical quality in organization that Winnipeg got in 1999, something that BOC wanted to get, but in the end it couldn´t.

Let´s not fool ourselves. We got a card of confidence from the IOC, they believe we can do it. We CAN do it, but we have to overcome our lack of discipline and sense of organization. It´s a unique opportunity to do things right.

I´m sure that the brazilian people can do that, but we won´t get anything without our government. And we all know how our government handle big projects like this.

When non-Brazilians think of Rio they think of beaches, colour, sparkle, carnival, samba. I think Rio's games will be energetic and fun and lively and really engage the audience worldwide.

Different cities host in different ways. I don't think Rio's games will be the most technically perfect games. I don't think Brazil will emphasize that the way the Chinese did or how London will do. I think Britain, China, Canada etc can all produce more technically accomplished games but I don't think that matters as the worldwide audience don't scrutinise the games the way we do on these forums. The world will only see the spectacle and will enjoy it.

I think the natural setting of tropical beaches, green mountains and the forests of Rio will be a success. The cable car sistem of the city too!

Sort of, Danny. These two you cited caused a lot of concern in the media. Don´t forget that we had problems with the bmx track as well, where audiences had to watch the finish line stood up in a camp of mood.

There was some problems with ticketing too. Many people bought tickets in advance for some finals just to discover that their places would be occupied by Globo Tv artists, media barons and others. (that was notable specially in the basketball/volleyball finals). The distribution of the Pan Club tickets was confusing as well.

The bad behaviour of the audiences during the gymnatics, judo and track and field competitions, booing athletes, was also notable.

We all know that the Pan American Games were good and we have some spectacle, but we didn´t achieve the technical quality in organization that Winnipeg got in 1999, something that BOC wanted to get, but in the end it couldn´t.

Let´s not fool ourselves. We got a card of confidence from the IOC, they believe we can do it. We CAN do it, but we have to overcome our lack of discipline and sense of organization. It´s a unique opportunity to do things right.

I´m sure that the brazilian people can do that, but we won´t get anything without our government. And we all know how our government handle big projects like this.

I have no problems with ticketing as you are saying (Indeed I bought them on Internet and retrieve then in a Copacabana Beach stand), The ticketing company asked people to print the receipt and MANY didn't have the paper to retrieve the ticket. This instruction was in bold letters in the internet.

And this about Globo artists is new to me. (And I did watch all the news about PanAms) and been to many competitions there. I have no problems in Maracanazinho... My numbered seats was there....

About booings, at the 4th day of competitions booes stopped. As media and speakers in the venues asked people to applause "the efforts of athletes to get in the competition". Indeed, there is in youtube video of this, and Shawn Johnson being exaustively applauded in the final of gymnastics. I didn't see boos in athletics. Indeed, Athletics was almost empty because of rain and storms...

We all know Brazilians are not used to this kind of competition, and we do celebrate the fail of other competitor. This is not exclusive for Brazilians, the difference is that we are natural on it. Other countries people tend to hide this.

I will never compare Winnipeg games to Rio one... It's like compare an ant with an elephant.

Winnipeg Olympic Stadium had less than 10,000 seats and the venues were pretty empty either... Ticketing and organizational was very easier for them.

I have no problems with ticketing as you are saying (Indeed I bought them on Internet and retrieve then in a Copacabana Beach stand), The ticketing company asked people to print the receipt and MANY didn't have the paper to retrieve the ticket. This instruction was in bold letters in the internet.

And this about Globo artists is new to me. (And I did watch all the news about PanAms) and been to many competitions there. I have no problems in Maracanazinho... My numbered seats was there....

About booings, at the 4th day of competitions booes stopped. As media and speakers in the venues asked people to applause "the efforts of athletes to get in the competition". Indeed, there is in youtube video of this, and Shawn Johnson being exaustively applauded in the final of gymnastics. I didn't see boos in athletics. Indeed, Athletics was almost empty because of rain and storms...

We all know Brazilians are not used to this kind of competition, and we do celebrate the fail of other competitor. This is not exclusive for Brazilians, the difference is that we are natural on it. Other countries people tend to hide this.

I will never compare Winnipeg games to Rio one... It's like compare an ant with an elephant.

Winnipeg Olympic Stadium had less than 10,000 seats and the venues were pretty empty either... Ticketing and organizational was very easier for them.

I can't see why Rio can't deliver technical perfect games...

For example, for PanAm, Brazilian NOC hired the same companies Olympic City hosts hires for organizational, broadcasting...

As I read in Orkut, Rio was choose only to be a location...

The requirements from IOC and federations will be the same for any host city: the companies hired, the people involved...

No city produces a perfect games. There's always areas where things could have been better.

What I meant about Rio is that of course the games will be of a high standard but Rio has a unique selling point which trumps the technical aspects of an Olympic games. Worldwide audiences will see the beaches, sunshine, sugar loaf mountain and be endeared to the city.

No city produces a perfect games. There's always areas where things could have been better.

What I meant about Rio is that of course the games will be of a high standard but Rio has a unique selling point which trumps the technical aspects of an Olympic games. Worldwide audiences will see the beaches, sunshine, sugar loaf mountain and be endeared to the city.

That´s true.

Now I got... Rio will be remembered for its settings with perfect or not too perfect games...

Agreed.

I would never have guessed.

Archived