2016 Olympics Will Be A Mess

NaNa

http://www.laht.com/article.asp?ArticleId=...ategoryId=14090

Someone has already made an olympic joke out of this: "The Olympic cauldron is lighted":

MED_09.10.08-15.13.08-comentando-piratrem.jpg

Ah! I think I know how Rio will solve the Olympic Flame/Cauldron issue between two stadiums! During the opening ceremonies, they will set aflame every favela in Rio, and let them burn for 17 days. That way, the entire city becomes the Olympic cauldron - unprecedented! And they clean up the city at the same time! Brilliant! :lol:

Okay, Danny, it's just a JOKE! Stop hitting me! Hey! Put down that bat!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ah! I think I know how Rio will solve the Olympic Flame/Cauldron issue between two stadiums! During the opening ceremonies, they will set aflame every favela in Rio, and let them burn for 17 days. That way, the entire city becomes the Olympic cauldron - unprecedented! And they clean up the city at the same time! Brilliant! :lol:

it'd be great to get rid of the favelas but ppl would have no where to go. And somehow it's part of the Rio scene..

incredible how some people are able to say that are arguing with facts, but actually are just creating some dummy data.

How a brazilian middle class lives with USD 150,00 if the minimum wage in Brasil is USD 290,00? at least imagine a better "data" next time...

Well, if he meant per capita, it is not very far off. The low end of the "middle class", the "Classe C", for Brazilian statisticians, include all HOUSEHOLD income including and/or above 1.064 reals a month. For a regular household of four family members, that would mean around $612.00 in today's rate, or around $153.00 monthly per capita.

i agree with you. people should stop creating false info. We all know Rio is such a safe city to live on. Sure, there are some neighborhoods in which the police is just not allowed due to the control imposed by drugdealers, but I guess that is a minor issue.

And, of course, the best argument is: if over 50 IOC members voted for it, then every little thing is gonna be alright.

I honestly don't think it is a healthy behavior to defend the bid and the Games in Rio so passionately.

incredible how some people are able to say that are arguing with facts, but actually are just creating some dummy data.

How a brazilian middle class lives with USD 150,00 if the minimum wage in Brasil is USD 290,00? at least imagine a better "data" next time...

i agree with you. people should stop creating false info. We all know Rio is such a safe city to live on. Sure, there are some neighborhoods in which the police is just not allowed due to the control imposed by drugdealers, but I guess that is a minor issue.

And, of course, the best argument is: if over 50 IOC members voted for it, then every little thing is gonna be alright.

I honestly don't think it is a healthy behavior to defend the bid and the Games in Rio so passionately.

i didn't said that Rio is a completely safe city, but is a city that the homicide rate decreased 40% on the last 5 years. I dont understand too what is the connection between Rio violence and your criticism for the Olympic Games, do you really believe that if Rio wouldn't host the games the city would be more safe? The city will invest USD 2 billion on security this is not a city priority? so what is the point of this topic created by a brazilian, just a stupid localism?

Very funny!

When the IOC election was the main subject going on, it was all about "no way Rio can win" blah, while we had to, without any effects, try and show that we could.

But it wasn't enough for the haters to understand that Rio won because it can deliver good games.

Now, I'm not gonna spend seven years of my life telling the haters, who just refuse to give it up because their favourite cities just had a MAJOR fail against Rio, that Rio is capable and that Rio WILL deliver one of the best games ever.

I guess I'll keep my speech ready for seven years from now. Maybe then there might not be any more haters around. They'll fade out when the facts shut them up. But if in seven years from now, there are still some of you proud-of-nothing jealous haters wandering around in your internet anger limbo, still doing your evil work in delivering these mischievous messages through a web forum, oh Lord, because the computer screen is the place for e-ballers to hide and do the prime of their work, for they have got no real testosterone to do a real World action and go outside and do something for what they stand for, I'll know exactly the A-S-S-E-S where I might shove Pipoco up, including its creator's... And it won't be a pleasant feeling for these haters and their useless souls.

RIO WILL SHOW YOU WHAT YOU IT CAN DO! And while we're smiling with joy, you'll be crying with anger because the most your little peanut minds could imagine, is in the reality exaclty everything you just delivered yourselves.

AND YES I'M BITTER!

Very funny!

When the IOC election was the main subject going on, it was all about "no way Rio can win" blah, while we had to, without any effects, try and show that we could.

But it wasn't enough for the haters to understand that Rio won because it can deliver good games.

Now, I'm not gonna spend seven years of my life telling the haters, who just refuse to give it up because their favourite cities just had a MAJOR fail against Rio, that Rio is capable and that Rio WILL deliver one of the best games ever.

I guess I'll keep my speech ready for seven years from now. Maybe then there might not be any more haters around. They'll fade out when the facts shut them up. But if in seven years from now, there are still some of you proud-of-nothing jealous haters wandering around in your internet anger limbo, still doing your evil work in delivering these mischievous messages through a web forum, oh Lord, because the computer screen is the place for e-ballers to hide and do the prime of their work, for they have got no real testosterone to do a real World action and go outside and do something for what they stand for, I'll know exactly the A-S-S-E-S where I might shove Pipoco up, including its creator's... And it won't be a pleasant feeling for these haters and their useless souls.

RIO WILL SHOW YOU WHAT YOU IT CAN DO! And while we're smiling with joy, you'll be crying with anger because the most your little peanut minds could imagine, is in the reality exaclty everything you just delivered yourselves.

AND YES I'M BITTER!

Well said Denis.

Just getting tired about those haters...

Why not discuss things in a serious way...

Now, even the color of Copacabana beach water become a concern....

Next seven years will be foda!

Let's make jokes about September 11th too... I know some that is just hilarious... <_<

C'mon... You guys are joking with serious things... And this is not funny.

Well said Denis.

Just getting tired about those haters...

Why not discuss things in a serious way...

Now, even the color of Copacabana beach water become a concern....

Next seven years will be foda!

You know, Daniel, I was watching two other threads started by you and aluz, where healthy constructive discussions were being made about Rio's projects and it was clear to me that you and the other Brazilians contributing to those discussions were showing more than your real interest and knowledge about he whole Rio venture. You were really open minded and showing concerns, just like evry other serious Brazilian in this forum. Rio is not perfect, the plan is not perfect and we can totally understand and acknowledge those facts. And the discussions brought up by the Brazilians like you, aluz and Victor, who have got something positive to say and not only that, put on the table the negative side of the Rio bid, and not making the huricane Katrina come out of these problems, but remaining positive for they all have solutions, is the only reason why I come here. At the end of the day, the haters will just have achieved what vampires achieve on a daily basis: They come and suck on the blood of people, but that is just enough for that night. The next day will always be the day to try and suck more from the artheries of the good because their anger and their envy is just like the hunger of the evil vampires. Rampant. When they get enought of complaining about this subject, they'll find something else to complain about. FAct.

Do you know what I realised and that is so interesting after all we've been through? While you and aluz were discussing some interesting insights about transportation, general infrastructure, and security, none, absolutely NONE of the guys who complained loads, during the election period, about the fact that Brazilians don't show and discuss the bid/project details (allegedly because we're not prepared to talk about the subject, are not speciallists on the subject or because we are here to play the defense part as our bid is obviously scum) - including some people from other countries.

The word of the moment is very interesting. I sent you a PM about it.

I was so blowing-smoke-out-my-ears angry, that I forgot to make my point in the last sentence on my last post - Absolutely NONE of the complaining guys showed up in your discussions to say a word of recognition or even keep on their whining, because they are not looking for us to be serious here. They didn't seem interesting enough as it apparently is when the subject is a Rio basher. Shame on them. Yikes!

I don't defend or deny Rio's staggering social problems, but these things don't affect hosting the OGs unless it's an obviously war-torn area, but Brazil is FAR from that.

Every city has problems, and every city has good things about it too. Why can't people just be happy that the 2016 games are going to a city and country with SO MUCH positivity and enthusiasm for them, definitely the most since Sydney 2000?

You may think here on household income or per-capita income. I'd say that the USD150 is more appropriate on a per-capita basis.

I'm one of those who don't like who the Brazilian government account for these 30 million taken out from poverty to middle class, what we/they call middle class in Brazil is almost a "joke".

I don't defend or deny Rio's staggering social problems, but these things don't affect hosting the OGs unless it's an obviously war-torn area, but Brazil is FAR from that.

Every city has problems, and every city has good things about it too. Why can't people just be happy that the 2016 games are going to a city and country with SO MUCH positivity and enthusiasm for them, definitely the most since Sydney 2000?

Agreed. I was against the games for economic reasons; nevertheless, they are going to happen there and now I will do MY PART to make them work correctly. Also as a democrat, I respect the fact that most of the people in my country want this games, so, I need to accept.

That said, it is just silly from the supporters point of view to expect that Rio won't face criticism. This is one of the biggest, if not the bigger, sports events in the Blue planet and because of that the Rio will be in the spotlight for 7 years. Expect people criticizing everything. And let's face it, even though Rio may deliver there is still a chance (not as small as in developed countries) that things may go wrong, what I make me feel that people who strongly support Rio 2016 are in the "groupthink" mood, is that these people never talk about possible downturns, risks, and potential failures. And if you/we want to avoid them, is by taking a look at the other side, the criticism, that's also what defies the "status quo". We must be "thinking ahead", yet balancing both sides.

There is no free lunch; for great returns, great risks are involved. I see this case as such.

DNIT,

I think we can discuss all issues, as we are trying to do, but in a serious way, with accurate data, and without sarcastic and stupid jokes.

Now Rio won, and I have lots of concerns I've been posting on Rio threads. I

'm not silly to deny that Rio will face criticisms from around the world, that's normal,

but as you know, we say in Brazil: only constructive critics should be done. (Talking about the color of Copacabana waters is really stupid).

Most of Brazil is far from that.

Several areas in Rio cannot be described as merely crime-ridden. They are as close to war-torn areas as one may find. And that is something that many foreigners do not appreciate fully: serious crime is one thing; the absence of any government presence in an area completely under the control of a warlord is something entirely different. And there are many such areas in Rio, unfortunately.

I agree with topic theme.

The 2016 games will be a mess...

For paulistas like Braz :lol: :lol: :lol:

They all hate Rio and say things even if they never come to Rio.

Envious! 2016 will be IN RIO :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bezzi, really, we don't need that discussion Rio vs. Sao Paulo...

Let the "negative people" think what they want to think...

Idiots are everywhere...

You're right. Besides some guys from SP are suporting Rio 2016. Like you.

• 2 weeks later...

The odd thing I find with using Murder rates 7 years before a games is that you can't predict what the murder rate will be 7 years from the awarding of the games .

New York City used to be one of the most violence places in America but over time they started to address things and eventually they ended up bidding on the 2012 games . Did anyone Say about NYC's homicide rate in 2005 which was still probably higher then London , Paris Madrid or Moscow's ?

In the 1970 and 80's New york could have had the title city known the most in the world for Murder Rate.

Jim Jones

Archived