2016 Olympics Will Be A Mess

NaNa

As a dedicated sports fan, I was deeply disappointed that Rio de Janeiro was awarded the 2016 Olympics. Any of the other three cities would have been a good choice.

Rio is one of the poorest cities I have ever visited. One of the first things I saw when I arrived there were children going through garbage dumps searching for food. If I lived in Rio, I would be ashamed that millions of tourists would be coming to my city for the Olympics and that millions of people will see Rio on television.

Rio is rated as the 6th most dangerous city in the world. The murder rate for Rio is double that of New York City. Brazil has a poor human rights record. In 2008, 190 GLBT (gay, lesbian, bisexual or transsexual) people were murdered because of their sexual orientation. This number is probably much higher because hate crimes often go unreported. There is a homocaust going on in Brazil.

I would rather see Brazil spend billions of dollars providing food, clothing, shelter and medical care for its citizens rather than on the Olympics. I predict that the 2016 Olympics will be a fiasco.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rio is the 6th most dangerous state capital in Brazil.... Recife and Vitória murder rates is very bigger than Rio de Janeiro's one.

Murder rates are decreasing and probably for 2009, it will be reduced by 10%. A great number since nothing changes radically in one day.

About people searching food in dumpster... This is not exclusive for Brazil. Even in USA this exists, since there are 18% people really poor there. The difference is that Brazilian don't put their poors under the carpet... How many argentine favelas did you on TV??? None, probably... But 50% of Buenos Aires lives in Villas Misérias (the argentine name for favelas)...

No doubts Brazil have lots of social issues to solve. LOTS OF SOCIAL ISSUE TO SOLVE (repeating, idiots only understands thing when repeated) and Brazilian projects want to use Olympics to boost some changes Brazil is doing since the 90's.

Do you know 30-million people left poverty and entered middle-class.

That what Brazilians wants to boost... AND WE KNOW OLYMPICS WILL NOT SOLVE OUR PROBLEMS... IT ONLY CAN BOOST SOME PROJECTS.

If you are disappoint, sorry, send letters to the 95 voters on IOC. It seems their opinions that matter in Olympic World.

talk about over reacting...

I believe the guy is just pointing out some common facts about the city of Rio. There's no need to attack facts so passionately. And there's no need to call us idiots (repeating, there's no need to call us idiots).

Murder and homicide rates are not the only factor on the most dangerous cities ranking. And, between you and me, we know Rio is pretty bad when it comes to security issues. (In fact, murder rates are going up this year!)

Also, I am thrilled to know that those new 30 million middle class brazilians can all afford to buy proper housing, food, education, medical care with their new amazing average family monthly income of about USD 150,00 (waaaay above poverty line, right?)

I'm brazilian and I'm happy with the opportunity of hosting the Games and hopefully seeing some improvements. But I'm not happy with all the public expenditures Rio's bid is going to demand from Brazilian Federal Government, specially when we know the figures on the bid are probably just the tip of the iceberg.

Rio is the 6th most dangerous state capital in Brazil.... Recife and Vitória murder rates is very bigger than Rio de Janeiro's one.

Murder rates are decreasing and probably for 2009, it will be reduced by 10%. A great number since nothing changes radically in one day.

About people searching food in dumpster... This is not exclusive for Brazil. Even in USA this exists, since there are 18% people really poor there. The difference is that Brazilian don't put their poors under the carpet... How many argentine favelas did you on TV??? None, probably... But 50% of Buenos Aires lives in Villas Misérias (the argentine name for favelas)...

No doubts Brazil have lots of social issues to solve. LOTS OF SOCIAL ISSUE TO SOLVE (repeating, idiots only understands thing when repeated) and Brazilian projects want to use Olympics to boost some changes Brazil is doing since the 90's.

Do you know 30-million people left poverty and entered middle-class.

That what Brazilians wants to boost... AND WE KNOW OLYMPICS WILL NOT SOLVE OUR PROBLEMS... IT ONLY CAN BOOST SOME PROJECTS.

If you are disappoint, sorry, send letters to the 95 voters on IOC. It seems their opinions that matter in Olympic World.

I'm brazilian and I'm happy with the opportunity of hosting the Games and hopefully seeing some improvements. But I'm not happy with all the public expenditures Rio's bid is going to demand from Brazilian Federal Government, specially when we know the figures on the bid are probably just the tip of the iceberg.

And that is assuming that those expenditures will actually be made in a correct and honest manner...

That is debatable, and the Mayor of Rio, Mr. Eduardo Paes, did not help yesterday when he exonerated from any fault Mr. Ricardo Leyser, the man indicated by the Federal Goverment to function as a kind of treasurer of the public expenditures for the event. Mr. Leyser was found guilty, along with other civil servants, by our "Federal Court of Accounts" ("Tribunal de Contas da União") for overpricing in several expenditures related to the Pan-American Games of Rio in 2007: he and others were ordered to return 18.4 million reals (c. $10 mil) by the Court (see here: http://www.copa2014.org.br/noticias/1326/T...DES+NO+PAN.html ).

Mr. Leyser remains in place in his new function. Let the games begin!!!!!!!!!!

It's true that USA, Spain, and Japan are all much better off than Brazil, but it is on the rise. As danny pointed out, the middle class is increasing. Aside from that though, think of the all the new jobs that'll be created thanks to the games in construction, tourism, hospitality, and sports administration. Even when the games are over, Rio, and Brazil in general, will surely recieve a big boost in tourism that'll benefit the economy, as is the case with many host cities (Atlanta is perhaps the most noteable exception, but we're more of a business city, and international business has certainly increased since the 1996.) Athens saw much needed developments in infrastructure, Beijing modernized like wildfire, and London is hoping to improve some of the poorer parts of town, so surely the Olympics will give Rio de Janeiro a boost in the right direction.

And that is assuming that those expenditures will actually be made in a correct and honest manner...

That is debatable, and the Mayor of Rio, Mr. Eduardo Paes, did not help yesterday when he exonerated from any fault Mr. Ricardo Leyser, the man indicated by the Federal Goverment to function as a kind of treasurer of the public expenditures for the event. Mr. Leyser was found guilty, along with other civil servants, by our "Federal Court of Accounts" ("Tribunal de Contas da União") for overpricing in several expenditures related to the Pan-American Games of Rio in 2007: he and others were ordered to return 18.4 million reals (c. $10 mil) by the Court (see here: http://www.copa2014.org.br/noticias/1326/T...DES+NO+PAN.html ).

Mr. Leyser remains in place in his new function. Let the games begin!!!!!!!!!!

I heard these news about Ricardo Leyser two days ago too. I really don't understand why Eduardo Paes didn't do anything about it...

Actualy, I have a clue why he didn't do anything... :(

I beliebe Olympic Games will be a great opportunity for Rio in terms of infastruture cultural development, as i see, i haven't been there, it is one of the most beautiful cities in the world and it is really promising to have the best games ever.

i agree

Even Barcelona was the dirtiest city in europe when chosen for 1992. and look now?

one of the best in whole world..

rio can use olympics as reshaping the city.

cause without that such responsibility and cash no city can solve the problems in 7 years.

hope they will organise 1 of the best games ever

Just another hater. Well give the games to Barbados! I'm pretty sure it'll do amazingly well .. Heehe and the economy is fantastic.

Wow! Boston would be a great choice! I've loved your city!!! Good Luck!

About the Barbados dude... GET A LIFE... the IOC awarded Rio with the games exactly because they believed that Brazil can improve our development process... that was the base of Rio's project.... it's simple and clear.

As a dedicated sports fan, I was deeply disappointed that Rio de Janeiro was awarded the 2016 Olympics. Any of the other three cities would have been a good choice.

Rio is one of the poorest cities I have ever visited. One of the first things I saw when I arrived there were children going through garbage dumps searching for food. If I lived in Rio, I would be ashamed that millions of tourists would be coming to my city for the Olympics and that millions of people will see Rio on television.

Rio is rated as the 6th most dangerous city in the world. The murder rate for Rio is double that of New York City. Brazil has a poor human rights record. In 2008, 190 GLBT (gay, lesbian, bisexual or transsexual) people were murdered because of their sexual orientation. This number is probably much higher because hate crimes often go unreported. There is a homocaust going on in Brazil.

I would rather see Brazil spend billions of dollars providing food, clothing, shelter and medical care for its citizens rather than on the Olympics. I predict that the 2016 Olympics will be a fiasco.

And sorry... but who are you to "rather see Brazil spending" with this or that? Is that up to you?

Let's just halt the photos, plz! Otherwise, this will become another one of those favela slide show threads ¬¬'

And, honestly, can you actually predict how everything will turn out? Give us the benefit of the doubt at least! Wait until there is something to complain about to actually complain about. Sure, you are entitled to your opinion, but saying the games will be a mess is a just an overstatement.

Angry Commuters Set Train Ablaze in Brazil

RIO DE JANEIRO – A commuter train was set on fire and several stations vandalized on Wednesday by passengers angry over a system breakdown during the morning rush hour, Brazil’s Globo television said, citing authorities.

Eleven people required hospital treatment for minor injuries, Col. Evandro Bezerra of the Rio de Janeiro fire department told the network.

The focus of the disturbances was in the Rio suburb of Nilopolis, where the train was set ablaze and passengers blocked city streets until police dispersed them.

The Nilopolis station was in ruins by the time police arrived, a senior officer told Globo, adding that his men were forced to use tear gas against “extremely violent people” in the crowd.

Globo broadcast images of infuriated commuters vandalizing two other suburban stations.

The violence came after a train broke down at 7:40 a.m., effectively shutting down the system and forcing the passengers to travel on foot to another station.

The commuter rail network, which is the main form of transport in the suburbs of Rio de Janeiro, did not resume normal operations until nearly midday.

System operator SuperVia sought to mollify passengers by distributed free tickets at the Nilopolis and announced that commuters on the affected line will travel Thursday at no charge. EFE

http://www.laht.com/article.asp?ArticleId=...ategoryId=14090

Someone has already made an olympic joke out of this: "The Olympic cauldron is lighted":

MED_09.10.08-15.13.08-comentando-piratrem.jpg

Ok. Next.

Someone has already made an olympic joke out of this: "The Olympic cauldron is lighted":

Now Rio is the first city in the world where people make protests...

And the joke is not funny, the pic have a big Portuguese error and what is your mood, man???

Second day in a row: the largest train station in Rio, Central do Brasil, closed for hours after 4PM on Thursday afternoon. Large protests followed.

The Police had to use tear gas, pepper spray, and rubber bullets against frustrated commuters.

Just another sunny day in Rio de Janeiro:

TREM6-p.jpg

Braz, what is the point, man???

Why the sarcastic comment?

Are you enjoying this train-situation in Rio?

Is it funny for people when 20 idiots stops all the train system of a city with 7 million people?

Is Rio the only city in the world with protests?

Braz, what are you winning with all this???

Wow! Boston would be a great choice! I've loved your city!!! Good Luck!

About the Barbados dude... GET A LIFE... the IOC awarded Rio with the games exactly because they believed that Brazil can improve our development process... that was the base of Rio's project.... it's simple and clear.

I meant "give it to Barbados" sarcastically... :lol:

Also, I am thrilled to know that those new 30 million middle class brazilians can all afford to buy proper housing, food, education, medical care with their new amazing average family monthly income of about USD 150,00 (waaaay above poverty line, right?)

incredible how some people are able to say that are arguing with facts, but actually are just creating some dummy data.

How a brazilian middle class lives with USD 150,00 if the minimum wage in Brasil is USD 290,00? at least imagine a better "data" next time...

Archived