Rio Public Safety Improvements

Main Rio newspaper reports that the Rio de Janeiro state government, which is responsible for the police, has announced that 10 new favelas will be added to the 5 current ones under the community policing program. Those favelas are going to receive a permanent military police post inside them.

According to many studies the main issue for the favela residents is the replacement of the state power by armed groups inside it. With this program, the government recovers the monopoly of the use of force inside those dwellings allowing for public service to be offered to the local population.

The favleas that will be prioritized in the short term are those lying close to tourist areas and highways. The second priority are the areas where the SOG will be hosted. The long term goal is to implement it in all favelas.

The link to the article: http://oglobo.globo.com/rio/rio2016/mat/20...s-767955354.asp

There will also be other actions like the increase in military police force deployed to police the streets by 16.000 men and the creation of a center for all security related agencies to monitor the city and exchange information.

The link to the article about the increase in policemen: http://oglobo.globo.com/rio/rio2016/mat/20...4-767889739.asp

Well, until now this plan is working very well.

Even favela Santa Marta, in Botafogo (the district I was born) had hosted the Red Bull Downhill Rio 2009 stage last month...

Things are changing for those with community policing program and that is great news!

Well, until now this plan is working very well.

Even favela Santa Marta, in Botafogo (the district I was born) had hosted the Red Bull Downhill Rio 2009 stage last month...

Things are changing for those with community policing program and that is great news!

Definitely, but that's a long and difficult process. I don't think they would have finished it by 2016, but if it advances as planned the big drug dealing organizations will be severely weakened by then.

Anyway, the beginning is the most difficult part, with the former drug dealers being forced to practice robberies and other crimes that affect the population outside the favelas. Even being far from Rio, I can see that happening through the news. The middle class must hang tight because the prize at the end is much better.

That´s great news. At the Tavares Bastos community there´s a permanent police station right over the hill that keep the place safe for both residents and visitors. Things seem to run well there.

Tavares Bastos is where BOPE is located. That's a different matter, the men in black like to think that they are from a different kind than the men in blue (the regular military policemen). Since last year, however, Dona Marta has been granted with a police station (from the men in blue) and is also pretty safe right now. I bet that the real state prices in the surrounding area must be climbing very fast.

BTW, This plan started when Police moved a entire Military Police Batallion to Linha Vermelha (the highway that connects Int'l Airport to South Zone) and since then no more news about crimes happening there.

It was a clever idea, and now this have been expanded.

I read they plane to create UPPs on at least 10% of the communities in Rio by 2016. That's 102! It's a lot of work to do, but with the success they're having, I don't think it'll be impossible! I have to say, the security policies in Rio are getting better and better

I read they plane to create UPPs on at least 10% of the communities in Rio by 2016. That's 102! It's a lot of work to do, but with the success they're having, I don't think it'll be impossible! I have to say, the security policies in Rio are getting better and better

Let's not forget that the real matter is choosing the right favelas. If in those 100 favelas we include Rocinha, Maré, Alemão, Jacarezinho and Rio das Pedras, most of the people who live in favelas will be benefited, since those are among the most populated and dangerous of all. Getting all the Zona Sul and Grande Tijuca favelas is also critical to reduce the ability to sell drugs to the upper middle class, since this would bring the most profitable drug selling points.

0,,27834995-AI,00.jpg

When I mentioned the fact that the crime situation in Rio is much more problematic than some Brazilians here wish to admit, I was insulted.

As I said, Brazil is a crime-ridden country - but Rio is in a different level: it is as close to a war zone as a city can be without being in actual war.

Today, for instance, drug warlords gunned down a police helicopter... Just as in Afghanistan...

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/internation...t=international

Police: Rio traffickers shoot chopper pilot

10/17/2009, 11:25 a.m. EDT

The Associated Press

(AP) — SAO PAULO - Brazilian police say one of their helicopter pilots was shot while flying over a violent slum in Rio de Janeiro and was forced to make an emergency landing.

Police say the pilot and three other police in the chopper escaped Saturday after the aircraft landed hard on a football field near the slum and a small fire broke out. The pilot was shot in the leg.

Gunbattles raged in the northern Rio slum after midnight in clashes between rival gangs.

I wonder if the state governor is away in a trip somewhere else, as usual.

That means exactly the opposite. The increasing fragmentation of the drug gangs in Rio is a sign of desperation on their side.

What happened today was an unsuccessful attempt from a drug gang to take over an slum controlled by another one. To stop the fighting the police intervened and was fiercely fought by the criminals. To allow the invaders to escape, their gang staged riots in other slums controlled by them to distract the police. This action will only mean that the area where this fighting took place might have its pacification accelerated. If this happens, as I said before, the Greater Tijuca area is going to start to have its own UPPs before the original plan.

In the following days the winning party in this battle will probably flee, because the police is going in to secure the slum. This kind of action, when unsuccessful, only hurts their business. In the following months, no drug addict will go up those slums to get his fix.

As usual, the action took place in a weekend, because the amount of policemen in the streets is reduced. During a major event, those guys would not be stupid enough to try something like this. By the way, before 2016 the amount of policemen in the streets will be around twice as much as it is today.

I don't discard the possibility of this action being taken to distract the military police plan to pacify the slums in the South Zone first. By forcing them to pacify this new ones, the most profitable ones might be delayed, but considering the clumsy way this was done, I believe it was just a stupid move.

Rio has many problems with crime, this is a fact.

Other fact is that on short turn the first action that police will make, to have the control of the slums will result on more violence. And of course the gangs will try to counter-atack

On the mid and long term, the only available solution to end the violence on the city is the social and educational one.

Rio has many problems with crime, this is a fact.

Other fact is that on short turn the first action that police will make, to have the control of the slums will result on more violence. And of course the gangs will try to counter-atack

On the mid and long term, the only available solution to end the violence on the city is the social and educational one.

We hope so...

Archived