Ceremonies Discussion

Oh yaaay 8D the ceremony will be at 9:30 PM on my local time (Torino was at 3:00 PM local time and they stopped showing the ceremony suddenly because of a baseball match T_T i hope those retardeds dont do it again)

Darryl Dyck/The Canadian Press

Opening ceremonies won't be traditional

The Canadian PressPosted Tuesday, January 12, 2010 1:32 PM ET

Share|more

RelatedNews

Official won't rule out lip-synching at Games ceremonies

Hosts, Opening and Closing Ceremonies

VANCOUVER - As Olympic organizers scurry around putting the final touches on the 2010 Winter Games, one major piece of the puzzle is falling neatly into place.

The producer of the opening ceremonies says he's been able to cancel some rehearsals because his volunteer performers are ahead of schedule.

But David Atkins says that doesn't mean there's no pressure in putting on the show that will officially introduce Canada and the 2010 Games to the world.

He says the production is a balancing act of many interests designed to tell a story that he hopes will make Canadians proud and create something different from what people are used to seeing -- but that's all he's saying.

Despite more than 4,000 people being involved in the show that takes place one month from today, few confirmed details have leaked out.

Atkins says that's proof people are excited about being a part of the event and don't want to ruin the surprise.

Olympic Opening Ceremony dress rehearsal to bring Feb. 10 road closures

By Kelly Sinoski, Vancouver Sun

January 12, 2010 12:35 PM

VANCOUVER -- The Cambie Street Bridge and a section of Beatty Street downtown will close to vehicle traffic between noon and midnight on four days in February and March to accommodate 2010 Olympic ceremonies, Vanoc announced Tuesday.

The closures will occur Feb. 10, during a massive dress rehearsal for the opening ceremonies, as well as for the Opening Ceremony on Feb. 12, the Closing Ceremony Feb. 28 and the Opening Ceremony for the Paralympic Winter Games on March 12.

The bridge will remain open to pedestrians and cyclists.

It's thought 100,000 spectators, visitors, reporters and TV crews, volunteers, and performers will fill Vancouver's downtown core for opening ceremonies on Feb. 12. The Feb. 10 dress rehearsal will include what's being billed by Vanoc as a "transportation dry run."

The road closures were announced Tuesday as the Olympic and Paralympic Transportation Team (OPTT) released the third and final phase of its 2010 Winter Games integrated transportation plan.

"We need every resident, commuter and employer in the Games region to pull together and adjust their transportation routines to make these Games a success," said Terry Wright, executive vice-president of services and Games at Vanoc.

Vanoc also plans to have "rolling road closures" of 10 to 20 minutes during the torch relay.

With about 150,000 people a day expected to surge into Vancouver's downtown peninsula, the goal is to cut road traffic into the downtown, over the region's bridges and into Whistler by 30 per cent.

Transit officials say they expect a 20-per-cent increase in ridership on all modes of public transportation.

Daily ridership on the SkyTrain Expo Line will likely jump by 30 per cent, said Doug Kelsey, president and CEO of TransLink subsidiary BC Rapid Transit Co.

Meanwhile, Vanoc is urging spectators to book their Olympic bus tickets ahead of the Games or face being disappointed or missing their bus to their event.

Only about 40 per cent of bus tickets have been booked so far although there was a huge spike last weekend as some took advantage of the early booking fee.

"If all people arrive at the park and ride at the last minute we're not going to get them to the venue on time," said Wright.

© Copyright © The Vancouver Sun

Olympic opening ceremonies won't be traditional show, producer says

By Stephanie Levitz (CP) – 3 days ago

VANCOUVER, B.C. — He used horses in the opening ceremonies of the 2000 Sydney Olympics and elephants for the 2006 Asian Games.

But as for whether David Atkins will use moose for the opening ceremonies of the 2010 Games - you'll have to tune in to find out.

In one month, the world will be officially welcomed to the Vancouver Olympics in a multimillion-dollar opening ceremony taking place indoors for the first time.

While Atkins, the executive producer of the ceremonies, is now working 20 hours day pulling together everything from logistics to administration, rehearsals with the cast have gone so well that some of them have been cancelled.

"They've been great, they've been diligent, punctual and they're, I have to say, probably the most enjoyable bunch of volunteers I've ever worked with," he said in an interview with The Canadian Press.

Despite more than 4,000 people being involved, almost no details about the ceremony have leaked out.

"I have to say I'm very chuffed about that," he said.

"I think people have really bought into the fact that they don't want to ruin the surprise. This is something that everyone is waiting for and if they know what it is, that is going to really diminish the experience for everyone."

Some documents have suggested the Olympic cauldron will rise from the floor of B.C. Place Stadium, which underwent $8.3-million worth of renovations in part for the Games.

Atkins won't say if that's true.

Others speculate that Celine Dion will be among the performers who will headline the event.

Atkins won't talk about that either.

He decided what would be in the ceremonies in part through consultations with 160 people in the cultural community, as well as First Nations. Atkins, an Australian, used the focus groups to determine what people did and did not want reflected in the spectacle.

Some themes, like indigenous history and linguistic duality, emerged in that process and in the vision of the ceremonies handed down by the Vancouver organizing committee, Atkins said.

There has been a lot of tension about the role of French in the cultural component of the Games.

Canada's other official language was rarely heard during the one-year countdown event and at a torch relay ceremony in Ottawa, despite millions being spent by organizers and the government to ensure its prominent place in the Olympics.

The federal government, which is contributing $20 million to the $40-million budget for the opening and closing ceremonies for the Games, hasn't really been involved in planning the ceremony, Atkins said, though federal sensitivies have been considered.

"We've been quite ambitious about what we're trying to do," said Atkins.

"So it hasn't always been something that was readily assimilated by the audiences that we were proposing it to in the sense that it's not a traditional ceremony."

So, what is it?

It isn't a spectacle like that of the Beijing Summer Games, which featured 20,000 performers, a controversy over dubbing and fake fireworks and a production the likes of which the Games will never see again.

The opening ceremony also isn't a repeat of the cliche-ridden eight minutes of the hand-over ceremony that caused millions of Canadians to cringe during the 2006 Games in Torino when the world witnessed Canada portrayed as a nation of ice fisherman serenaded by pop princesses.

"What we've aimed to do here is try and create something which is more reflective of Canada and hopefully a little more perhaps emotionally engaging," he said.

The head of the local organizing committee would only say it's coming together the way they want.

"On February 12 you'll be able to turn on your television at six o'clock and something pretty special is going to happen," John Furlong told reporters at a news conference to mark the one-month countdown to the Games.

The only rules the International Olympic Committee places on an opening ceremony are those involving protocol - the march of athletes into the stadium, the release of doves, and the words so anticipated and so feared by so many: "Let the Games begin."

The cultural element is up to local organizers.

"One of our agendas here . . . is to blend those two somewhat so that the cultural elements of the ceremony inform the protocol and vice versa so we give those protocol elements a sense of theatricality," Atkins said.

One segment of the ceremony will be devoted to Russia, as Sochi prepares to take hold of the Olympic flag and begin the countdown to the 2014 Winter Games.

What keeps him up at night now, Atkins said, is the millions of details involved in the plan, and also the pressure.

"It's having an idea, and two years of work on it and seeing it come to life, it's pretty exciting, it's an exciting process," he said.

"How successful it is, you're always on a bit of a knife edge about that because you're really building to a night where there is a single opportunity to get this right."

Officials are estimating that about 100,000 people will converge in the city's core on Feb. 12 for the opening ceremonies, including performers, crew, media, athletes and spectators.

The opening day will be further complicated by the final day of the torch relay, which spends most of the day downtown before heading to the opening ceremonies.

There will be road closures and restrictions in and around the city's downtown before and during the Olympics, but there will be additional closures for the first and last days - Feb. 12 and Feb. 28.

Copyright © 2010 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

Yes likely the cauldron will rise out of the floor of BC Place.

That's why they dug the 20 foot deep pit in the center, right?

This isn't rocket science folks. We're not reinventing the wheel here.

Then when the flame is lit, minutes later you'll hear an enormous BOOM echo over Vancouver

Releasing of the doves? do they still do that anymore?

the last time I remember seeing them was 1998 when Nagano used paper doves.

I think the IOC banned real doves after the Seoul incident, the "releasing of the doves" is merely a symbolic act these days.

As for towerguy, he's a sicko.

"One of our agendas here . . . is to blend those two somewhat so that the cultural elements of the ceremony inform the protocol and vice versa so we give those protocol elements a sense of theatricality," Atkins said.

One segment of the ceremony will be devoted to Russia, as Sochi prepares to take hold of the Olympic flag and begin the countdown to the 2014 Winter Games.

I'm particularly interested by this quote.

The blending in of protocol and the cultural theatrics? Personally, I like the tradition of it being strictly protocol. I like the traditional Olympic ceremonies format.

And with the Sochi segment, I do hope that they mean it's for the Closing Ceremony as it would be utterly ridiculous to show Russia at the Olympic Opening Ceremony which is suppose to be a Canadiana-only thing.

^^^ Well they could do both, perhaps the Opening Ceremony bit would be a short segment presented by the Russian community of Vancouver, whilst the Sochi team make a proper handover presentation at the Closing.

Perhaps it would be a story sort of thing where you got part 1 in the Opening, that concludes with part 2 in the Closing, sort of a cliffhanger sort of deal that will only be solved when you watch the handover in the closing. Don't expect the Russian anthem to be played in the Opening though.

It looks pretty dated in those shots, 8 million dollars can't really change much so we may be stuck with the same basic look.

8 million - was that a figure for the inside of the arena? Not including the Opening Ceremonies? So that would be things like the painting of the seats, and mechanical improvements?

Hopefully they can cover up those pipes leading up into the roof as well, once that's done and the roof itself is covered it may look more world class and less 1980s American style football stadium.

Those pipes will definitely be covered...a new ventilation system was built just for the 2010 Games Ceremonies.

no I'm not a sicko at all. I just tell it like it is and most of you don't want to deal with reality.

The truth will be revealed in the papers in the very near future

I'm starting to worry that this sicko will make sure "the truth" is indeed revealed.

^ self-fulfilling prophecy...who knows, maybe he's responsible for the 2-tons of explosive-grade ammonium nitrate missing in Vancouver. With all these mad-man posts about something exploding during the Games, I wouldn't be surprised if CSIS has been monitoring him for the past year or two.